Andrew Claymon Memorial Tournament

• huskerdb
    Kearney, Nebraska

I took my oldest son and we participated in this youth/adult multi species format tournament this weekend. Most of the tournament was fished in a steady pouring rain. Coming into the weekend has been steadily improving and stabilizing weather that has led to improved fishing. The participating teams all caught fish with large numbers of panfish, pike, largemouth caught. A fair number of walleyes were caught by most teams choosing to target them as well.

I am not an experienced boat angler and had rented a boat from the Trading Post at the lake to participate in the tournment. I had the goal in mind of trying to get my son on his first walleye. Unfortunately, my skills were not up to the challenge on the day. My inexperience with controlling the boat using the foot control trolling motor and some of the presentations I was attempting to use combined with the uncomfortable wet weather caused our fishing to be more of a struggle than it should have been. Had I been willing to fish more for bass and panfish I am sure I would have put more fish in the boat. It was not a total loss though as we did catch a nice sized smallmouth weighing just under 2 lbs. This was the largest of the three smallmouth weighed and earned my son a trophy.

For anyone heading up this way it looks like the fishing is starting to turn on and the scenery is absolutely spectacular.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

That’s Awesome HuskerD.. Your son won’t remember any of the bad weather etc..just look at that big smile with his dad out fishing and his trophy That’s all he’ll remember from this trip.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.