Merc or Yamaha

• barrelslime
    Illinois

I am looking at a new Lund pro guide boat for next year. Iv owned a dozen mod v boats with console steer. This will be my first deep v and first Big hp tiller. So that’s where I’m looking for input. Going to do some trolling and bottom bouncers.
    What do I need to look for in a tiller motor? Merc or yamaha? Iv had both and like them equally. Definitely 4 stroke of course. Planning on 90 hp. Like I said first deep v so any input is welcome. Splash guards, transom troller what works best. Are there outboard motor accessories I need?
    Thanks for your input

FryDog62

Over 75 hp the hydraulic steering is a must IMO. Love Yammies but bias would be towards the Merc Big Tiller handle and hydraulic (Mertens) steering assist. Still the standard others are shooting for and trying to figure out something that isn’t patent infringement…

cheers

Wave Wackers for your splash guards would be my recommendation . They are custom made to fit your boat model and can accommodate electric trolling motor if required . As far as the motor you will definitely want a steering damper or assist. I had a yamaha 50 hp on the back of my boat then upgraded to a suzuki 70 .A friend of mine did the same but went to 70 yamaha with no steering assist and he found a big difference between his and mine . On my yamaha I had a troll down feature that dropped rpms down and I was able to slow the boat almost to a stop . The suzuki 70 also had a troll feature and I assumed it would work the same as yamaha , turns out to be opposite ! The troll feature on suzuki actually increases rpms , so when I troll I have to constantly pop in and out of gear.Not sure what is available in 90hp but something to keep in mind when shopping

barrelslime
    Illinois

Thanks guy these are exactly the things I need to know.
    The steer assist, is this an aftermarket item? I assume the dealer can get it and install it?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I have a bias towards Yamaha as they are just so darn reliable. Unfortunately if you go with a Lund Pro Guide and want steering assist, I believe you must get a Mercury. Mercury bought the Mertens Power Steering system.

However, I ran a 90hp tiller for years without a steering assist without any issues. Steering assist is really nice but not mandatory on 90hp motors.

The only tiller boats I know of that you can put whichever motor you want on them and still have hydraulic power steering are the Warrior 1890 and 2090 as they have their own patented power steering system.

I agree on the wave wackers and I would definitely put a minnkota vantage on the back for backtrolling, rigging, vertical jigging etc.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

Thanks guy these are exactly the things I need to know.
    The steer assist, is this an aftermarket item? I assume the dealer can get it and install it?

Most 90hp tiller packages don’t come with power steering as the coast guard doesn’t require it. Getting the tiller assist would be an add on option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.