Smallies on a tear near 60 Islands

• tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Drifted the river for about 6 hrs yesterday… 12′ rubber Sea Eagle. The fish are in early spawn mode and just pounding topwaters. two of us probably caught/released over 100 Smallies!
    Tiny Torpedos, Chug Bugs, Pop Rs in brite colors…just about any kind of shoreline structure, rocks, or gravel banks held fish…
    The average size was very nice, about 15″, but we caught several up to 17 and 4 or 5 up to 19″. What a blast on a 6’9″ ML rod and 6# test!
    Time to get our there as the shoals are starting to get into the low water mode…we need rain!

Sorry, no pics this trip…forgot my camera…

b-mac
    Hudson, WI

I don’t know where 60 islands is, but it sounds like my kind of place.

Remote, small stream, smallmouth is far and away my favorite type of fishing. 2 weeks until I drag my wife for 3 days and 2 nights going down the upper st croix with a spinning rod and popper on one side and a fly rod and bugger on the other.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

The Wi/Mi border south of Pembine Wi… Any baitshop can refer you to a launch site…

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ll have to give some thought to fishing with you this summer. My wife and I are visiting relatives in northern lower and plan to zig-zag randomly across the UP for 3-4 days to get there. July. My only plan so far is to catch a meal of brookies and cook them on the tailgate! A night in Marquette is the only sure stop tentatively scheduled for now. Cant wait to sink my teeth into some quality pasties!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.