Red Cedar River

• glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Was out this afternoon for an hour or so and last Thursday for an hour and did ok. Caught a total of 7 smallies and a small nothern. Biggest smallie was only 14 in., but it is a nice break from school and what not.

Smallies have wanted a bait moving in the upper water column. A B-Fish-N Tackle K-Grub in cotton candy has worked well, along with Mimic Minnow’s. Finding ares with rock current breaks down stream from the dam has been the key.

Anyone know if any bigger smallies move up to these areas, or if there are any bigger smallies in this section of the river?

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

hi are talking about fishing below the cedar falls dam or the dam downtown menomonie? i live by the dam in cedar falls and have fished it for years and have never produced a smallie over 16 inches>> i was just courious that you would come here to fish from verona is all, would like to hear your thoughts on our water here ,, thanks

starkj25

Woody, i went to the cedar falls dam on friday at midnight with a couple of friends. we didnt have that much luck down there i only caught 2 eyes and nobody else caught much of anything. Have you ever had good luck right below the dam or not, seems like a lot of people try it down there

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I goto school at Stout…so that is why I am in Menomonie. I was fishing the area below the dam in Menomonie…I have heard though that the area below the Cedar Falls dam is good as well.

BrianBeebe
    Rice Lake Wi

I fished Tainter sunday and tuesday. We caught alot of smallies. The biggest one close to three pounds. All the fish we found were related to wood. In the next week or so they will be in full spawn.

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Glen if you would like to borrow my flat bottom and do a float trip down the Red Cedar your more than welcome to. It’s nothing great and about as flimsy as a beer can but she floats and is light weight.

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

Steve,
    Thank you so much for the offer, I will have to take you up on it next fall. We’ll have to float down it once, so you can show me around.
    Thanks

woody-1961
    Menomonie,Wi

well i always fish the east side of the river which means you have to crank your fish over that 12 ft wall ..and that can be a challange. walleye fishing there gets alot of pressure all day and night. spring and fall are the best times and the fall we see the nicest eyes. i have fished the west side with small jigs tipped with leaches and a slip bobber just off the bottom with success. fishing the east side is strictly a plastic bite.. different color everyday, havent had success with ringworms yet but still trying, good luck chassin those eyes

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

leiny:

That is a very nice offer to a young man going to school!!!

bass boy:

I went to school there as well. I had hoped to get down there a couple of times the next couple of years as my nephew started school, but has decided to do other things. As for the smallies, my favorite thing to do was ride down the Red Cedar Trail on my mountain bike and wade in tennis shoes for bass. I never got anything real big downstream, though I am sure that they are there. My favorite stretch to fish for brownies was the portion from Colfax down to Tainter. Great canoe ride and excellent bassin’!!! I don’t know that I ever broke 3#’s, but always had a great time and did push 3#’s several times!!!

Mark

leinieman

Hi Mark, The boat thing is not a big deal as it is usually just siting in the yard anyway. Jackie and I will have to get out and float the Red Cedar a few times this year. There are some large smallies in there and also some good spots for cats,and northerns.

leinieman

Glen when do you finish at Stout for this year??

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I am done with classes and will be leaving Menomonie Thursday.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

bass boy:

You should consider a job in the summertime and really enjoy the area. It is a great place to be!!!

Mark

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.