Meat prices

• hnd

we buy half a cow and it comes to under $5 a lb. I raise my own hogs and the butcher comes out, dispatches onsite and processes for about $250 a hog. for the people that buy from me I get it to about $5 a lb considering the processing. for our hog all I pay is processing. I’ve accounted for all supplys in the first 3 years of this process and thus only incurring food and “time” costs. It costs me 250-300 to finish a hog to 300lbs on full feed.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Processing costs are a bit high in my estimation, but it is what it is.

This pretty much sums up the whole conversation. The cost of supermarket meat is artificially low. This is how much food really costs.

picklerick
    Central WI

Picking up my first 1/2 beef on Thu. A local farm opened up a shop in our town offering “sweets, meats and cheese”. Everything there is local and the beef is from their farm about a mile from me. I paid $18.99/lb to try their ribeye and it was the best tasting steak I’d ever had. The half was #377 hanging weight at $2.50/lb for the farm and $453 for the butcher to cut and vac seal. I won’t need to buy beef for quite a while.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I will just keep picking up R/K deer. If you don’t like the inflated prices remember to vote appropriately in 24…

castle-rock-clown

14 lb usda prime beef brisket, $59 from Costco. The family will be eating good.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_2437-scaled.jpeg

picklerick
    Central WI

Nice. The wife was stunned when I told the butcher to put the brisket into the grind. Can’t beat a prime Costco brisket at that price.

Viewing 6 posts - 91 through 96 (of 96 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.