McCarthy Fired

• tomr
    cottage grove, mn

I think he deserved better than being dumped in season. Bush move in my opinion

Dan
    Southeast MN

Adam Shefter from ESPN is reporting that they brought him in after the game to do the firing and that he was not expecting it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Blaming the coach is the in thing to do. McCarthy didn’t forget how to coach over night. I’m far from a Packer fan (in fact I hope they never win another game….ever) but you could see the talent level eroding in my opinion. Rodgers is what kept them competitive these last few years.

Like I said I don’t care, but Erin better make the right choice for his next coach because they can’t fix that roster overnight.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Blaming the coach is the in thing to do.

Judging by all the McCarthy complaints over the years about him being the problem, the Packers should finish the season at least 4-0.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I would agree as well. What was gained or accomplished by dumping him now. All the tickets have been sold for the season and the waiting list for season tickets probably still extends to the next generation.

No worry of a fleeing fan base.

They had absolutely nothing to lose by retaining him until the end of the season when most sport teams evaluate coaches after the season. That shows more respect for what was accomplished by the current head coach.

Not a good direction for Packer Nation. neutral

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I can argue they had nothing to gain by keeping him.

Dani & Erin couldn’t co-exist with him. Therefore the divorce.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

If your gonna fire a coach now is the time, so you can start the search and have something set up before the draft. It was the move that had to be made.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I can tell Dutchboy hasnt watched much Packers football in the last few years

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

If your gonna fire a coach now is the time, so you can start the search and have something set up before the draft. It was the move that had to be made.

I don’t follow the packers very close but McCarthy had a good run. When the packers hired him for a head coach I thought what a reach, he would last maybe a year or two, he proved me wrong. Packers are not going to be able to talk to prospective head coaches until after playoffs, super bowl as most likely the next coach will come from one of those teams. It seemed that everyone knew this was McCarthy last year with the Pack, Pack should have treated his exit with more class. But if this put the Pack in disarray for the next 10 years I will consider it a good move.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I can tell Dutchboy hasnt watched much Packers football in the last few years

I admit, I watched much more then I should have. Enough to know that when the Vikings played the Packers the only player lately to worry about was Rodgers. Oh, I forget. What was the big running back they had that one year? He was pretty good and could control the ground game. When was that again?

OK, you can continue to rip on McCarthy now. If the Packers finish with 11 wins or better next year you will be proven right.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Who will Aaron hire?

Mike J
    Wright County

Josh Mcdaniels

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I have no need to rip McCarthy. Much respect for what he has done for the Packers over his tenure. With that being said, it was so pretty obvious that it was his time to go. Packers have a lot of problems all over the field, but McCarthy had a lot to do with a fair share of them. Whether it be the play calls, elementary offense, early timeouts, or his love for guys like Starks/Willams over Lacy/Jones, it was clear it was time for the Packers to move on.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Josh Mcdaniels

I’ve already heard that the Vikings offense coordinator also……….they can have him…..i’m less then impressed

Pete S

those Erin jokes never get old..

Again the purple faithful are more consumed about the pack and finishing ahead of them this year rather than making a run to the SB. NFC champ game last year, signed the QB that was gonna get them over the hump and they are one road loss against seattle away from watching the playoffs from their couches. But hey, they beat the pack, can’t beat a team with a winning record, but went 2-0 against a 4 win team…..that’s fresh

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Sure it was…now’s the best time. So they can hire Hue Jackson before the end of the season when all the other loser teams will be lining up for the top “fired” coaches available.

Hue you too…

hah

Attachments:
    1. Hue.png

B-man

those Erin jokes never get old..

Again the purple faithful are more consumed about the pack and finishing ahead of them this year rather than making a run to the SB. NFC champ game last year, signed the QB that was gonna get them over the hump and they are one road loss against seattle away from watching the playoffs from their couches. But hey, they beat the pack, can’t beat a team with a winning record, but went 2-0 against a 4 win team…..that’s fresh

They went 1 and a tie…..

Both teams suck this year.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

And now already rumors of McCarthy being the top candidate for the Cleveland Browns… rotflol

Attachments:
    1. McCarthy-CB.jpg

Jimmer Narrett

I liked coach but he needed to run the damn ball. Jones is the best running back we’ve had in a while.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I’ve already heard that the Vikings offense coordinator also……….they can have him…..i’m less then impressed

I know this is a thread about McCarthy but I agree with this comment. There’s some head scratching moments with the Vikings offense. Sometimes I think the Vikes and Gophers have the same playbook with specific plays to do short quick-hit passes on 3rd and long. In the 2nd half today the Vikes had a 3rd and 16 and completed a 5 yard pass….then on 4th and 11 they threw a quick slant to Treadwell who came up well short. I know these guys do this for a living and I’m criticizing it as a fan watching on TV, but geez we need to be able to pass for those first downs. My guess on the Treadwell pass was other receivers were supposed to draw defenders out of the middle of the field so Treadwell could catch and run for the first down but it failed miserably.

Also, at first I was in favor of getting Treadwell the ball more because if Cousin could get something going with him it would mean defenses would have even another option to worry about, but it’s not really working. When the Vikings need to move the ball and they employ both Diggs and Theilen, I’m not sure why Treadwell is getting so many looks.

Pete S

thanks b-man, it just felt like a loss the way the peed themselves

catmando
    wis

Its tough but, they did him a favor, the whole league knows he’s available now. His winning percentage is very good. He will find work. plus he’s a multi-millionaire. He won’t starve

riverruns
    Inactive

Do they still have WWE on Mondays? Maybe you guys can give that a look over and see the only real sport left. doah

Good luck watching “Professional” sports. rotflol

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

McCarthy needed to go, but he also coached the team to a Superbowl and the playoffs 9 of 12 seasons. They owed it to him to let him finish the season.

Outside of Rodgers the team is so lacking on talent compared to 90% of the league. They have guys starting on both sides of the ball that have a ceiling of being a special teams player on average or above teams. McCarthy may have needed to go, but you can’t win the Kentucky Derby with a mule either.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Do they still have WWE on Mondays? Maybe you guys can give that a look over and see the only real sport left. doah

Good luck watching “Professional” sports. rotflol

Wait until legalized sports betting take hold and things will get better.:?:
    Even major league baseball is tapping into that cash flow.

bigpike

Say what you want about M.
    M. But he has more super bowl victories than the rest of the NFC north combined since 1985. I do believe he got complacent and I also believe there is a disconnect between him and Rodgers. That being said he was a very successful coach for Green Bay. He developed Rodgers. He work through the transition of the legendary Favre to the next great qb Rodgers. His winning percentage and accolades speak for themselves. I enjoyed his tenure and I wish him the best. I’m sure he will be successful for whoever he coaches next. 13 years is a long time in todays nfl for 1 coach. Very few make it that far with 1 team. Interesting times for my Green Bay Packers! Now continue your obsession purple guys coffee

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

When the dust settles,
    You have to ask did Rodgers quit on McCarthy?
    If you are a young offensive coach, does Rodgers well known ego allow you to work with him?
    Does Bruce Ariens come out of retirement and deal with the NFLs largest Ego?

Is the NFC North the worst NFL conference?

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I guess Erin got his birthday wish granted from the front office! lol

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.