marijuana might be legal! Really?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>topshotta wrote:</div>
    Many young people know the racial and political history of cannabis prohibition.

I’m not talking about young people who are studying politcal history. I’m talking about kids 12 years old and younger.

-J.

Are Those same kids who watch there folks drink a case of beer a night like it’s normal ?

Coletrain27

Are Those same kids who watch there folks drink a case of beer a night like it’s normal ?

thats perfectly acceptable because its “legal” jester

topshotta

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>topshotta wrote:</div>
    Many young people know the racial and political history of cannabis prohibition.

I’m not talking about young people who are studying politcal history. I’m talking about kids 12 years old and younger.

-J.

When I was far younger than 12, I learned that my Dad, a hard working veteran, enjoyed cannabis, and that some of the information shared with me at school was untrue. After this is signed into law by Governor Walz, people like me and my dad can live without feeling like criminals or second-class citizens.

Timmy

Being relatively ignorant on weed related topics I have question….

It was stated above that in MI, an ounce could be had for less than $100. How much is an ounce? Is that enough for one good high, or a group of guys for an evening? Or would it be a month supply for one guys recreational use?

There are obviously valid point on both sides of the fence, but IMO, I find it illogical that cigarettes and chew are legal(and knowingly cause major health issues) and a natural plant is illegal? Follow the money for that answer.

I have several police/deputy friends and they all agree that they would rather deal with a pothead than a drunk. They say that domestic violence calls just don’t typically happen with stoners.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Bake all your goodies with weed in them. Sell them for 5 bucks a cookie or bar.

Oh! Gotcha!! LOL!
    rotflol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

When I was far younger than 12, I learned that my Dad, a hard working veteran, enjoyed cannabis, and that some of the information shared with me at school was untrue. After this is signed into law by Governor Walz, people like me and my dad can live without feeling like criminals or second-class citizens.
    [/quote]

It sounds like you and I wear very similar shoes. I grew up with my dad who smoked openly for ever, he was never a drinker. I bet I’ve seem him drink 3 beers in my entire life. But he was always a successful and hard working pot head. I watched him retire as a big shot for a huge concrete union company and be successful. And I’ve followed that same path. I am a very active smoker have been for a long time. I stay busy And work alot. A couple puffs after work is a great nerve calmer. I think alot of the negative stereotypes are what have been pushed on people over the years. Which is normal for most all illegal activities. If people looked in to it more or new more about the reasons it’s illegal in the first place, I think opinions would be changed.

Coletrain27

Being relatively ignorant on weed related topics I have question….

It was stated above that in MI, an ounce could be had for less than $100. How much is an ounce? Is that enough for one good high, or a group of guys for an evening? Or would it be a month supply for one guys recreational use?

There are obviously valid point on both sides of the fence, but IMO, I find it illogical that cigarettes and chew are legal(and knowingly cause major health issues) and a natural plant is illegal? Follow the money for that answer.

I have several police/deputy friends and they all agree that they would rather deal with a pothead than a drunk. They say that domestic violence calls just don’t typically happen with stoners.

would easily last a month for a recreational user. all depends on the frequency i guess just like anything else

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I remember the first time I smelled weed as a teenager I somehow recognized the smell. Then I remembered that I only smelled it when my dad would take out his cigar box when his sister and brother-in-law were over.

My dad was also a severe alcoholic. He would go on several week long binges missing up to a week of work at a time. He would then go into a week long hangover when he stopped drinking and thinking he was dying.

My guess is if he smoked weed instead of drinking he would’ve lived past my 21st birthday.

The f’ing stereotypes of smoking weed probably prevented him from smoking so instead he drank uncontrollably.

For me, taking gummies has already cut my own alcohol consumption in half. Late night wild games are easier to wake up from after having a gummy or two versus 2+ old fashioneds. A whole lot less damaging to my overall health too.

topshotta

An ounce is a lot. Even a very heavy user would be able to get high every day for weeks on an ounce. My wife and I enjoy a puff or two in the evenings, maybe more on a special occasion, and an ounce would last us months. I buy smaller quantities to enjoy a variety of flavors and effects.

topshotta

It sounds like you and I wear very similar shoes. I grew up with my dad who smoked openly for ever, he was never a drinker. I bet I’ve seem him drink 3 beers in my entire life. But he was always a successful and hard working pot head. I watched him retire as a big shot for a huge concrete union company and be successful. And I’ve followed that same path. I am a very active smoker have been for a long time. I stay busy And work alot. A couple puffs after work is a great nerve calmer. I think alot of the negative stereotypes are what have been pushed on people over the years. Which is normal for most all illegal activities. If people looked in to it more or new more about the reasons it’s illegal in the first place, I think opinions would be changed.
    [/quote]

I agree 100%, plenty of hardworking people smoke. The most successful people I know are fairly heavy smokers compared to myself. I think the association with being lazy comes from the fact that cannabis is an easy way to have fun, and lazy people kind of follow the path of least resistance and do easy things. Kind of a correlation vs. causation thing.

Gitchi Gummi

I think a lot of users here, and people in general, would greatly benefit from the occasional hit, they just don’t know it

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My FIL spent 30+ years in the military/reserves while also working as a police officer/sheriff’s deputy, he likely ticketed dozens, if not hundreds, of people for pot related offenses, and was very opposed to it while never trying it. He retired to AZ (where it has been legal for a while) and now he takes an edible or two every day for insomnia, and sleeps like a champ. He also had knee replacement surgery and was getting very sick from the opioid smorgasbord they gave him, he quit that cold turkey and was able to treat his pain far more effectively and safely with edibles. There are millions of stories like this that vastly outweigh the hypothetical negatives imo. It’s long past time it is legalized, decriminalized and removed from the illegal drug schedule federally.

Lou W

I part time in a state where it’s been legal for 5 + years. I can’t recall any problems reported. However drunks are still assaulting people and driving drunk and wrecking homes with regularity.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

The topic of addiction has been brought up. I’ve always been a firm believer in addiction not being specific to any drug/chemical. Someone who has an addictive personality will get addicted easily to gambling, drinking, smoking, eating crap, blah blah. People get addicted as much to behaviors as feelings or highs in many situations. I don’t think legalizing marijuana is going to help OR hurt anything related to addiction in our population.

What estimated percentage of people who use or will use marijuana as it’s legalized will purchase it in a way that it is taxed? I’m guessing very little. That “Pro” seems overblown in the argument. That’s from a complete outsiders’ perspective though???

B-man

Are there any gummies that won’t show up on a Federal DOT drug screen?

I’d love to have some to get my brain to relax after a long day at work. I know it would be better for me than some beer or a big glass of vodka-cran.

I’ve never really gotten into pot, and honestly don’t care for it, but wouldn’t mind trying something really weak.

This winter while off work we did a fishing trip in Ontario where it’s legal. First time in ages that I had any.

I took a big hit off a vape pen my buddy brought on the lake one day.

Then I proceeded to go 100 mph on my snowmobile….or it at least felt like 100 mph…. until I looked down at my GPS and I was going 35 mph jester

That day felt like it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r

When we got back to the cabin we brought all of our gear in to dry/charge.

A few hours later I went to bring my gear in to dry/charge again. I didn’t forget we brought our gear in, but I thought my recollection of doing it was from the day prior lol

There was a moderate amount of alcohol involved as well, which combined with the weed I never do likely added to my confusion/loss of actual time rotflol

No more Canadian vape pens for B-man lol

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They will all show up on a ua. And the pens all have different strains and milligrams in them. Some are a relaxing body high and some are a brain high. You have to dabble to see what fits best. As long as I’ve smoked for I still just enjoy a simple one hitter at a time. I can’t smoke heavily or I get anxious. My mom has been going to the u.p and getting edibles for a while now, she hated weed and now eats them regularly. They help her relax and sleep. But not long ago she ate a more potent one and said it was horrible. She felt stoned for ever. It’s all in the dosing and types. Stativa is going to be more of a head high where indica is your relaxing body high. For me both have a time and place.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

The topic of addiction has been brought up. I’ve always been a firm believer in addiction not being specific to any drug/chemical. Someone who has an addictive personality will get addicted easily to gambling, drinking, smoking, eating crap, blah blah. People get addicted as much to behaviors as feelings or highs in many situations. I don’t think legalizing marijuana is going to help OR hurt anything related to addiction in our population.

What estimated percentage of people who use or will use marijuana as it’s legalized will purchase it in a way that it is taxed? I’m guessing very little. That “Pro” seems overblown in the argument. That’s from a complete outsiders’ perspective though???

As far as the financial/tax income side, that has been a pretty clear huge boon for every state that legalized it. I haven’t looked at the numbers in a while, but it’s significant. Plus growing your own, or buying on the black market is labor intensive and risky compared to swinging thru a store/dispensary. I agree with you on the addiction front, although I’m sure there are anecdotal stories out there, but a weed addict and a hard drug/alcohol/pill addict are significantly different. Both in the impact to their own body, and society as a whole.

Deuces

Micro dosing can be great once you figure out your own magic formula, but getting high every evening is no better than slamming a 12er, doesn’t matter what substance you use, how hard you work, substance abuse is still abuse, and altering your state of mind is still altering even if you’ve built up tolerance to it.

It’s an interesting time in society, so much has changed in the last half century its mind boggling, traditional gender roles, manufacturing and tech, etc, now let’s just add legalizing drugs to that list. We really are on the forefront and curious to where it may end up. Mushroom stores are now popping up here and there, grabbed a psychedelic candy bar next to the dispensary few months back now, although the stores main mission is holistic properties its freaking wild that’s even available, legal, in a store.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Micro dosing can be great once you figure out your own magic formula, but getting high every evening is no better than slamming a 12er, doesn’t matter what substance you use, how hard you work, substance abuse is still abuse, and altering your state of mind is still altering even if you’ve built up tolerance to it.

It’s an interesting time in society, so much has changed in the last half century its mind boggling, traditional gender roles, manufacturing and tech, etc, now let’s just add legalizing drugs to that list. We really are on the forefront and curious to where it may end up. Mushroom stores are now popping up here and there, grabbed a psychedelic candy bar next to the dispensary few months back now, although the stores main mission is holistic properties its freaking wild that’s even available, legal, in a store.

What state was that ? There are alot of great documentaries on micro dosing with psychedelics. And they are all very interesting to watch. I haven’t ever micro dosed with mushrooms but when I was a younger guy before kids we would eat shrooms and venture the woods just laughing.

hartridge

Smoked a lot of weed in college and even smoked with the professors on numerous occasions. Now that I am retired and living in Wisconsin I go to Illinois several times a year to get some weed. Very interesting to go to a legalized weed shop and talk to a weedologist about the different strains of weed. I usually purchase some weed and also some cartridges for my vaping pen.

My only issue with legalizing weed in Minnesota is the state government will waste the proceeds from the weed sales just as they do your state income tax, your property taxes and any other taxes they collect.

Deuces

Boomer store was in Jordan, MN. They probably wouldn’t like me referring to it as such.

To clarify my micro dosing comment was for pot. You won’t find me licking windows in back of a trooper vehicle anytime soon

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Boomer store was in Jordan, MN. They probably wouldn’t like me referring to it as such.

To clarify my micro dosing comment was for pot. You won’t find me licking windows in back of a trooper vehicle anytime soon

Lol you don’t know how that 5th brick of chocolate will make you feel.

Sharon
    SE Metro

You won’t find me licking windows in back of a trooper vehicle anytime soon

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries! jester

Attachments:
    1. snozzberries.jpg

Riverrat

Question is if I am enjoying a joint sitting on the dock at a boat launch or fishing pier minding my own business am I going to get a ticket for public use that probably would cost more than a simple posession ticket. Same with camping at a state park etc.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Since some folks asked:

I have seen many negative impacts
    of alcohol and drugs and have similar views on both. I dont believe some
    of the pro weed studies that it isnt addictive and doesnt have long term issues for users. If we are banning cigarettes, why legalize weed? What will be next?

I heard a gal in Vegas say, well weed is healthy. Hmmm, I think there are some health benefits, but overall, do the pros outweigh the cons? Do we know enough? The weed folks get now is much more potent with much higher thc that years ago.

I dont have all the answers, more questions. I dont agree with increasing the criminality of drugs, but cant get myself to support legalizing drugs either. For the record, I think big pharma and the stuff they push on is has to be seriously reevaluated as well.

Erik Swenson

Finally, maybe something worth growing! mrgreen

big_g
    Isle, MN

Pot is like taking 6 shots of Nyquil for me… ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. When I was in Maui and trying to hire for positions, potential candidates would be all excited, until they heard we drug test… then they were like, well forget it. Then I would inform them, we don’t care about THC and it was game on again ! Literally opened the pool of applicants right up and some of them dopers are pretty good workers waytogo doah jester

Dan
    Southeast MN

When I was in Maui and trying to hire for positions, potential candidates would be all excited, until they heard we drug test… then they were like, well forget it.

When I was on a short stint doing Army National Guard recruiting I was told right away “don’t ask potential recruits if they smoke pot; just cut to the chase and ask them when was the last time they smoked pot.”

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.