Boat Pricing Question

• Jeff Matura
    Sumner, IA

I am looking for used 17′ boat and it seems the best way to find out what boats are worth is simply looking at actual boats for sale versus NADA. So I also want to say I am in no way affiliated with the place below…

Could anyone tell me why this boat is so much higher than this boat

It seems to me the pricing is exactly opposite.

What’s your opinion on boat #1. I have looked it and it appears to a non-mechanic to be in excellent condition. Is the resale of Johnson/Suzuki motors sub-par? Thanks

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

While they are the same model, they definitely have different layouts and without actually looking at the boats, it’s really tough to judge on price.

I’d go check em’ out and see for yourself. The higher priced one looks to have better storage and a nicer layout, trade-off being 2yrs older and a 2stoke engine.

My 2cents

deertracker

Maybe roller trailer as opposed to a bunk? Also maybe the Merc has a better value also. Maybe those too features combined makes the difference. I’m just guessing though.
    DT

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I would just go to the dealer and tell him your going to buy a boat today. Tell him you have 13 grand to spend and you want the Angler. It’s a buyers market these days.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

I would just go to the dealer and tell him your going to buy a boat today. Tell him you have 13 grand to spend and you want the Angler. It’s a buyers market these days.

I would try that!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Did you get the hours on each of the motors? Maybe one has tons and the other has only a few?

fishin
    Blaine, MN

I think the price difference has to do with the size of the trolling motor and the electronics. This can make a big difference as well as the shape each is in. Take a look at both and I bet it will be more clear as to why they are different prices and which is best for you.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Could anyone tell me why this boat is so much higher than this boat

It seems to me the pricing is exactly opposite.

Thanks

Because it’s primarily a car dealership………..

joshbjork
    Center of Iowa

You can find closing prices on ebay auctions. Otherwise, you’re just going by asking prices and they can be anything. You never know what they actually sold for. Even worse if its craigslist listings from a month ago becasue that is the stuff that really didn’t sell. A lot of times boat prices are probably going to be real close to what people owe on them which may or may not be a reasonable price.

Kdawg1966

Definitely check them out in person. If there’s one thing that I’ve learned about pictures on the internet, it is: They can look dramatically different in person than in pictures on the net.

As a side note, I’d much rather have the Johnson than the Merc. I owned a 04 Johnson and absolutely loved it – it was so quite, I had to be careful not to try and start it while it was running. Nothing against the Merc’s, I’ve never owned one, but my satisfaction couldn’t be any higher than it was with the Johnson.

Also, I just read above that the Merc is a 2 stroke. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t even consider buying it. My last 2 stroke motor was 10 years ago, and aside from the new etec’s, I don’t think I’ll ever consider another one. I can’t stand being in a boat and having to smell the motor smoke while backtrolling. I understand to each their own, but it’s just my .02, FWIW.

Good luck.

dog2th
    Omaha, NE

Boat prices make no linear sense.
    I would guess that the higher priced one is in better shape overall, possibly with lower hours. BUT,
    The 05 with a 4 stroke Johnson should sell for much more than the 03 with a 2stroke Merc.

As for your question about the Suzuki/Johnson 4 strokes holding their value, they are held in the highest esteem right alongside the Hondas and Yammies out there. My buddy has the Suzuki, I have the Yammie , both 115 4 strokes, and both are super reliable, fuel efficient and his is actually more quiet than mine. Rumor has it that the 115 Suz/johnson 4 stroke is actuall prop rated above 130 hp, but Suzuki doesn’t want to tell you this for fear of not selling their 140 NP model.

If this 05 unit is clean inside and out, the trailer is sturdy and true, and the model seems to fit your needs, buy it. If you have to sell it anytime soon you can recoup most of if not all your money cuz of those 4 letters on the side.
    My $.02

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.