18′ Lund Mr Pike question

• russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

I am doing a little window shopping for upgrading my current 14′ boat to a 17/18 foot boat. The wife and 2 yr old boy have found that they like to fish, but we would like to look at something a little bigger to accommodate the 3 of us a little more comfortably. As I have been browsing, I have come across a few 1980’s Lund Mr. Pike 18’s that seem appealing. From what i am reading about them is that they have a 75″ beam. Is this a pretty stable width for this boat? The main places that i would be using the rig would be P4 backwaters, occasionally the main channel, and small to medium sized lakes….not real likely to head out on the bigger waters like Mille Lacs. Any other feedback about these boats would also be much appreciated. You guys always have all the answers as i read the forums regularly.

moler02
    Iowa, Knoxville

I would go a bit latter and get something with a deep V hull. IMO Lund Stinger is an example.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

I think the Mr. Pike is a nice rig. Couple things I was always told to look for, (and there are many buying used), is buy as near to max HP as you can. Ex: if that boat was rated for a 90 hp, a 70 is good, and anything less just doesn’t make it, and always, if possible, go for a test drive. But at least always put some ‘muffs’ on the motor and run it…Do not buy an undersized trailer , that’s just a case of bad things waiting to happen. . Check out every electronic, including those trailer lights. . Now, in those 80’s rigs, the Pike is good, but also look at the Crestliner and Alumacraft rigs. There may be features you just like more for the $$’s…So, for sneaking around the backwaters ‘mostly’, you’ll be fine, as you can get by some shallow areas deep V’s won’t. Good luck and have fun shopping. Take the Mrs. & little one… When I did, it was fun to share the excitement.

joemama
    North St Paul

start you search by deciding how much your willing to spend and go from there… i do agree with the last post..never go “under” powered..remember if your going to be selling this boat at some point stay with lund, crestliner or other common boats..do not worry about electronics plenty of good used stuff out there

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Salt can take its toll on the trailer of those older rigs. How’s the hitch, wiring, winch, bow stop, rollers, etc. I’m not terribly familiar with backwaters, but ran the river a lot in the 14 Lund semi-v which was about 62″ wide and never felt uncomfortable once you get use to the river and respect it as such. Used it plenty on the metro lakes such as medicine, eagle, etc. and never had to go in BC of the wind. I think the 75″ beam would be more than adequate for your waters, plus the added length will give the family some room. I’m not a big HP guy so the underpowered motor is not a big deal, as long as it gets me from point a to point b in reasonable time. If you plan on pulling the lil guy on a tube or wake board in the future maybe something to consider. I upgraded recently too stuck with a 14′ but more of a real fishing boat, can’t wait to get er on the water.

russ0101
    Brooklyn Park, mn

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will definitely put in on the list of possibilities as i start looking and hopefully upgrading soon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.