New 150 4-stroke on 1975 Pro-V

• WaterWolf1

Hey Gentleman,
    Just wanted to say hello, New to this site. My delema,I’m getting a 2012 1975 pro-v. I really like the new 150hp.4-stroke reviews,simpicty noise levels, maintenace ect… however,knowing that it is a new motor is the? The size of it? My needs are as follows… Top end hoping to get 42 mph,
    I troll a lot and mostly cruise @ 32mph Boat specs 19’8″ with gear & motor/people I’m @3400# full load New motor puts out 164hp. with lots of torque,thinking of putting 4-blade prop to help with planning & lower troll speeds,with smart craft gages.Due guys think that this boat would be under powered? not worried about resale,it’s my last boat,
    Always had good luck on all other merc.motors.70% hull H.P. rating for this boat is about 158hp hoping to find some imput, Thanks Guys, Tom Liebich

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I think that you would be really under powered with the 150. I run the same boat but have a 225 on it. Very nice rig.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have a friend who runs that same boat with a 175 on his – Almost everyday he fishes it he says he wish that he had maxed out the engine. I think a 150 would leave you way underpowered on that boat. Better to have more power than you need than to need more power than you have. Since this will be your last boat I say bite the bullet and max out the HP. I think you will be happy that you did.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

Have the 1875 with a 200 Verado and a 9.9 kicker. Hhink you might be happier with more horses if only for the hole shot. Haven’t had mine out yet, so I’m talking through my —-. Had a 1850 Tyee with a 200 4stroke Yamaha + kicker and almost had to stand up just to see over the bow on holeshot, but then had 3 batteries in the stern. Now have 2 group 30’s in the bowbest it should make a difference. bestfishes-jim

John Gildersleeve
    Frazee,MN

Proped out right the boat would plan out fine, it just would not be a fast boat. If you were to have a heavy load and were on big water with a big wind the motor would struggle to power thru a wave when taking off or just riding them in my opinion. I think you be lucky to get 42 out of it. As long as you are not looking for a fast boat it could work. I have rigged many boats and have run a few 150’s on 1900 and was not very impressed. I myself would not go this low, a 200 would be as low as I would go. If the price is the issue you could check up north, the prices tend to be cheaper up here closer to the Lund plant. If you need a price check let me know I could get you in touch with a friend who would be more than happy to get you a price. Pm me if interested.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Hey Gentleman,

Just wanted to say hello, New to this site. My delema,I’m getting a 2012 1975 pro-v. I really like the new 150hp.4-stroke reviews,simpicty noise levels, maintenace ect… however,knowing that it is a new motor is the? The size of it? My needs are as follows… Top end hoping to get 42 mph,

I troll a lot and mostly cruise @ 32mph Boat specs 19’8″ with gear & motor/people I’m @3400# full load New motor puts out 164hp. with lots of torque,thinking of putting 4-blade prop to help with planning & lower troll speeds,with smart craft gages.Due guys think that this boat would be under powered? not worried about resale,it’s my last boat,

Always had good luck on all other merc.motors.70% hull H.P. rating for this boat is about 158hp hoping to find some imput, Thanks Guys, Tom Liebich

Welcome to IDO. That boat would be seriously underpowered. Max out that HP and never look back. Slap an Yammi or E-Tec on it. At least a 200hp if not maxed out.

jgdalton

I have a similar sized boat with 225 V and could not be happier. Mainly bass fishing ky,Tn and Al. Really recommend more than 150 on that size.

ozarkeyes
    Arkansas

Hey welcome aboard. I have to agree with the other guys. The 1975 is a heavier boat too and with the weight of motor, and your added gear plus passengers, you should max the hp for the best performance. You can consider the 200hp, L4 Verado which is much lighter than the 6cyl 225 Verado and would run the 1975 very well. If you dont want the Vrod, maybe the Yamaha 225 Offshore.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.