1850 Tyee evaluation

• trapsht
    Rockford, Il

I’m in the market for a used boat…I recently sold my $40K Crestliner because it wasn’t seeing the water enough. I’m looking for a cheaper boat that I won’t feel guilty, if it sits in the driveway on a weekend. Here’s the basic specs on a boat I found:

-1995 Lund 1850 Tyee…115 hp Johnson Fast Strike
    -80lb tr.motor,older Lowrance electronics, full canvas enclosure
    -Boat is being sold with a ton of salmon gear(which I would use)…downriggers,reels, rods,planer boards, etc
    -TRailer & cover
    -Seller is 2nd owner, 1st owner was his dad.
    -Supposedly serviced annually by a marina
    -ASking price is 10k.

What do you think? The older outboard worries me a bit…I would definitely put on a kicker. What things should I look for in a boat/motor this old besides the obvious things??

Justin

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I ran a Yammy FL115 on my (new) 2002 1850DC Crestliner Fishhawk and it was woefully underpowered. I would say on that Tyee a 115 may be even worse, being its a deeper V, and heavier than the C-liner.
    If the deal is sweet enough to upgrade the motor to a 175-200hp… then I would consider it.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

I’m in the market for a used boat…I recently sold my $40K Crestliner because it wasn’t seeing the water enough. I’m looking for a cheaper boat that I won’t feel guilty, if it sits in the driveway on a weekend. Here’s the basic specs on a boat I found:

-1995 Lund 1850 Tyee…115 hp Johnson Fast Strike

-80lb tr.motor,older Lowrance electronics, full canvas enclosure

-Boat is being sold with a ton of salmon gear(which I would use)…downriggers,reels, rods,planer boards, etc

-TRailer & cover

-Seller is 2nd owner, 1st owner was his dad.

-Supposedly serviced annually by a marina

-ASking price is 10k.

What do you think? The older outboard worries me a bit…I would definitely put on a kicker. What things should I look for in a boat/motor this old besides the obvious things??

Justin

You could talk him down some. Especially this time of year. I sold my 1992 Tyee II with a 115 Yammi 2 Stroke for $6500 in 2009.

Not a bad boat at all. The 1995 Tyee is much narrower than you are used to. Make sure the floor is in good shape. If it hasn’t been replaced since the boat was new, it will need to be. Those floors rotted away. It’s a time intensive yet easy replacement.

Me personally, I’d also upgrade the electronics and trolling motor. The electronics and TM on the boat are worth nothing and that should be taken into consideration when negotiating.

Overall a great boat. We used mine on Superior and Michigan all the time.

Tom makes some great points. The outboard on there is worth about 1500 trade in. To buy a new 175-200 Yammi you are looking at about 12-14k.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

Seems high

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I have a 96 1860 Lund tyee with a 88 115 evinrude it does just fine. I fish rivers mostly and don’t have any prOblems getting on plane. It isn’t instant plane but its good enough. Overall I like the boat. The only negatives were that the rod locker could only fit 7ft rods max.
    The other negative was the distance from the back 2 chairs to the front 2 seemed a bit close were you could rub knees with the back rest. The ex owner could has done that when he replaced the floor an carpet but not sure. Overall I think it’s a pretty good boat for around 7-10k. She handles Mille lacs a whole lot better then alot of other boats I have been in out there.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Tom—I’m definitely not planning on upgrading the motor…so if there’s a problem with the motor—no deal. When you say underpowered, do you mean not fast enough for you,or tough to get on plane?

How would I know if the floor is rotten? Would I have to pull up the carpet to check?

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

How would I know if the floor is rotten? Would I have to pull up the carpet to check?

Step on it………everywhere. Especially in the corners. Check everywhere and I mean everywhere. My boat’s floor went soft in the tough to get to places first. Where the bow deck met the counsel.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

A couple of Lunds ago I had a 1750 Tyee with a 115 Merc. Worked fine except when trying to climb over big waves on Erie and Michigan. If possible take it out for a test run with the family in it before you buy it and wish you did.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

As your checking the floor on any boat check the transom.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

What about this boat…..
    2000 Lund 1900 ProV
    -200 Optimax, 9.9 Merc tiller
    -trailer, dual console, older electronics, boat is in decent shape…………..price is $14K
    THis time of year I’m really looking for a deal…is this a deal or a realistic price?>

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.