How to get water spots off motor cowl?

• nodakbassmaster
    Black Hills, SD

Spent a bunch of time cleaning the filthy boat, washed it, dried it, then scrubbed with straight vinegar right before waxing. Took forever, and was a lot of work, but the boat looks great again.

Problem is, the motor. Mercury says no acids and the straight vinegar scrub I used on the rest of the boat is not working.

Other ideas, tips or tricks out there?

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Wonderfoam has worked very well for me.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

Quote:

X2! Order it and you will be done with your task in 5 minutes! Larsen Sales online sells it.

rick-robinson
    Dundee, Iowa

Vinegar and water mix in spray bottle. Cheap and works well.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Not sure what Mercury is saying by “no acids”….but vinegar is acid…its acetic acid. Its usually only 5% or less though so if you decide to use (or keep using) it be careful.

J

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

Look into JJV products. I use the Best on the bottom of the boat and cleaner on the sides and motors. Best i have ever used.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Quote:

X2! Order it and you will be done with your task in 5 minutes! Larsen Sales online sells it.

X3 and more! I’ve used it and Restore for 15 years.
    Restore once or twice a year and the Wonder Foam once or twice in 10 years.

Supper easy on both of them.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

I have yet to try wonderfoam but a lot of people seem to like it. I have had good luck with Meguiars Hard Water Spot Remover.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Silicone Spray.

-J.

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Quote:

Look into JJV products. I use the Best on the bottom of the boat and cleaner on the sides and motors. Best i have ever used.

x 200 on JJVs, Minnesota copmany, enviromentaly freindly cleaners, didnt do anything to my cowl besides shine it up and remove crusty dead bugs

ted-merdan

simple green cleaner – spray on and wipe off.

also a wax with a cleaner in it should do the trick. shocked straight vinegar didn’t do the trick…

CLR if all else fails and you don’t care what it looks like when u are done

-ted

bobberal
    St Cloud MN, Leech Lake

I just washed my boat 2 weeks ago, it sits in the water, tied to a dock since opener. It took me 1.5 hours to clean the bottom scum, and completely wash the sides and motors. It looks new. This is the first time i used JJV and i was 100% impressed. I am sold on this great Minnesota Company.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

X 6000 on the WD-40. Everyone has it in their garage and there is nothing better for removing stubborn water spots. WD = Water Displacement.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Water spots from lake water are easily removed with lake water. I didn’t wipe down the boat once and later washed it and the spots were still there. Retrieved some lake water and wiped it down and dried, spots gone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.