Lund Boat Cover Material

• Jason Stegenga

I’m wondering what the general consensus is out there on Dowco’s Climashield Plus and Sunbrella Seamark. I have a single console Lund and am considering both fabrics.

Thanks in advance!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

The factory Lund covers are cheaply made like 6oz yard and only cary a 1 year warranty. If I had to do it again I would get a custom Sumbala cover 10oz yard, Plus a 10 year warranty.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I had a Sunbrella cover custom made last summer. Too early to pass judgement, but it looks great, and based off of reviews, I will love it.

Umy
    South Metro

For my two cents my factory cover for my 2019 Lund 1775 Impact fits great, tight.
    It has lasted for over 140 trips to the “local” lakes ( within 80 miles of me) the last two years, 4 trips and back to Bemidji and 5 trips to Canada and back. Still looks great, Just re-coated with scotchgard to help the rain run off. Stored in the garage in winter with the cover on but not tightly fastened and outdoors from mid April to mid October.
    I’ll buy another one when the time comes

Jason Stegenga

Umy, do you know if your cover is the DOWCO Climashield Plus fabric?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

If I remember right a demonstration that my fabricator showed me was that “SunBrella” would tear inline with the hole and “Top Gun” would not.

I’m not saying that Top Gun is a go to but,,,.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Two words Top Gun my 22 year old Crestliner cover is made from this and not one single repair in all those years, nothing better. Pay once and be done as they are not cheap..

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I don’t claim to know which is a better option, but Sunbrella is breathable and Top Gun is not. As a travel cover, Top Gun probably has the edge in durability, but if you put your boat away wet and covered, Sunbrella allows it to breathe.

Karry Kyllo

The factory Lund covers are cheaply made like 6oz yard and only cary a 1 year warranty. If I had to do it again I would get a custom Sumbala cover 10oz yard, Plus a 10 year warranty.

That may be true but Lund covers do last well if their taken care of. I’m on my 11th year with the original Lund cover I bought when I bought my boat new and I’ve roaded with it on every trip I’ve made, which is alot of miles over that period of time.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

How much does a Lund cover cost in comparison to a custom Sunbrella or Top Gun?

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I don’t claim to know which is a better option, but Sunbrella is breathable and Top Gun is not. As a travel cover, Top Gun probably has the edge in durability, but if you put your boat away wet and covered, Sunbrella allows it to breathe.

My cover has built in vents, if the boat is soaked I usually pull the cover and let it dry out.

Umy
    South Metro

I will see what my Lund cover is made from here in a couple minutes. If memory serves they were close to $700 to buy new. Had a custom cover made for the 16’ Tyee and that was $650 4 years ago. Canvas with that kind wet/rubbery look feel to it. Tough as nails though

Umy
    South Metro

My 2019 Lund factory cover.

Attachments:
    1. 524D41A8-B465-4E5D-B5CD-17E2609D54F5-scaled.jpeg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My cover has built in vents, if the boat is soaked I usually pull the cover and let it dry out

That’s feasible if you have a place to let your boat dry out. Mine doesn’t fit in my garage.

Umy
    South Metro

For me this is another one of those take care of it things. When it’s wet, I let it dry out on the driveway. When it’s on it is securely fastened so not flapping around ( storage or moving down the road)
    No sharp points anywhere it rubs against and take it on and remove carefully, not crazily. Any of these listed products will suffer otherwise.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

The mastermind that I used for a many upholstery projects was Larry Coen, May He Rest In Peace.

He was the percom that prefered “Top Gun”. He told me and demonstrated the “SunBrella” was less abrasive to issues to Top Gun. So I had my last top made from it in March of 2010. My pics are being elusive to me right now.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Here are a few pics

Attachments:
    1. DSCN0468.jpg

2. DSCN0458-scaled.jpg

3. DSCN0451-scaled.jpg

4. DSCN0449-scaled.jpg

KPE
    River Falls, WI

As Umy mentioned, I’m going on my 4th year with my factory Lund cover on my 2018 1775 Impact XS. Right when I brought it home I coated in Scotchguard. It appears as though I’ll have to do that again this year as I have some water leakage where there was none before. However, no holes or tears. I trailer with cover on and roll it up and store in my toolbox or back seat. It stays covered and outside all winter, with a tarp over this factory cover.

Overall I am very happy with the factory cover. The way it attaches is out of this world and I would never want bungees or drawstrings to deal with. If I got a custom one I’d specifically request they make it the way Lund does using the clips on the exterior track.

Umy
    South Metro

ANEN KPE!!!!

Jensen

I must have got a bad factory one, mine lasted 1.5 years. Bought boat brand new in 2020. Hopefully warranty covers for it or might be looking for a new cover elsewhere.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.