Hds7 with structure scan simple wiring questio

• Mike151

Hello,
    I am a brand new member and have a question about the wiring of my new hds7 with structurescan. If I connect the yellow wire from the hds power chord to the yellow wire from the lss-1 power chord, then I do not need to connect the yellow from the lss-1 to the battery? The HDS will basically turnm on the structure scan when I turn on the HDS? So then do I still need to connect the red and black from the LSS-1 or doesmit gets its power thru the yellow?
    Thanks,
    Mike

shughes
    kasson mn.

Hi Mike thats right about the yellow wires….good luck with the hd you’ll have fun with it

shughes

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

You’ll need to power both the HDS-7 and the LSS-1.

Welcome to IDO!!

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

By connecting the two yellow wires together, you will be using the power button on the HDS unit as the power for both the head unit and the LSS-1. Dan is correct though, both power cords have their own hot and ground wires that must be connected. Remember to always use a fuse on the red/hot wire.

Mike151

Thanks for the quick answers guys.
    Good fishing!
    Mike

JohnWF
    La Crosse, WI

Snowy Morning to all.

I’m new to the HDS-10 and Stucture Scan world and have not used them yet.

Is there an advantage/disadvantage to connecting the LSS-1 yellow wire to the yellow Accessory Wake Up wire coming from the HDS power cord versus running the LSS-1 yellow wire through a switch?

In other words, is there a ever need to turn off the LSS-1 when the HDS is on?

John

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I don’t know of any reason it would be better running to a switch. I do know that by not running it to a switch you eliminate the risk of forgetting to turn off the structure scan and draining your battery. I have my network on a switch and have forgotten a couple times to turn the switch off.

gbsoren
    MN, USA

For some reason I couldn’t get mine to power up hooking the yellow wire from my HDS-10 to the yellow wire from the LSS-1. I ended up running the yellow from the LSS-1 to an accessory outlet on my fuse box, so anytime I have my master power on the LSS-1 is powered. I had already installed a single bank charger on my starting battery and out of habit I pretty much always plug in when back at the dock so draining my battery shouldn’t be a problem. Are there any other downsides to having the LSS-1 powered all the time?

Ken Sauret
    Paso Robles, California

While the LSS-1 is powered up the transducer will be looking for the bottom 24/7. The ducer is made up of 3 crystals encased in an epoxy housing and if they are pounding away forever you could compromise the ducer over time.

gbsoren
    MN, USA

Thanks Ken, other than when it’s on the water I always turn off the master power. And unless I have minnows in the baitwell that I am keeping alive I will shut off all power even when at the dock. If it becomes a problem I’ll just put an in-line switch on it I guess.

jwelch
    Iowa

I have an hds 10 and lss-1. I hooked up both the yellow wires together and the red and black wires on the lss-1 power cord to my power source. For me, I really see no good reason to hook the yellow wire to a seperate switch when the graph will do it for you. Turn the graph on so does your lss-1, turn the graph off as does your lss-1.

Jeremy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.