Radio Interfearence?

• sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

I have a 520 that when I turn it on it statics out the Radio? 520 is run with seperate wires to the battery.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Are you hearing the noise with an AM radio or an FM radio? AM radios are susceptible to that kind of interference especially when signals are weak. Remember lakes are at the bottom of holes, and there usually isn’t good reception in the bottom of a hole. FM doesn’t get interferred with as easily.

I don’t have a 520 and you didn’t say much about the radio but here are a couple of ideas. If you have a portable (battery operated) radio set that in the boat and see if you get any interference.

If you hear the noise with the portable radio, then the power cable or the transducer cable of the 520 is radiating the noise. The best bets would be to route those wires away from the radio as much as possible. You could also go to Radio Shack and pick up a ferrite choke: web page Snap these on the power cable and the transducer cable and see if that helps.

If you don’t hear the noise on the portable radio, then the noise is running through the power cables. The Radio Shack chokes might help. If the poower cable for the radio and the power cable for the 520 are laying right nextr to each other, the noise can travel from one cable to the other. Sperating them by even a few inches might do the trick.

Good luck!

Rootski

sand_burr
    Grasston, MN

The radio is just a standard Clarion AM/FM CD. It works absoulutly fine until you turn on the 520 and the minute you hit the power button the station fades away to static. Looks like the clip on might be a cheap try?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.