How do you like your HDS?

• Mocha
    Park Rapids

Besides the mapping issues which I believe has been corrected with the new update……how do you guys like the new HDS units? I am playing with a new HDS7 and it seems great. I can not wait to try it on the water. Not sure if I can find the bucks to pay for it but it looks great!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’m like yourself, only played with one and spent some time in the showroom looking at it. I think the real question is how much the side-imaging component will cost as an add-on. Also wondering if they’ll bundle it at a cost savings, or will sell it simply as an accessory.

To my own eyes, the shaded relief mapping (insight) isn’t as important if you can read contours from a Lakemaster chip. I don’t see this as a major upgrade, but would love to see a unit that does side-imaging, AND supports Lakemaster’s superior cartography!!! It’s the reason I haven’t upgraded yet!

Joel

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

Quote:

I think the real question is how much the side-imaging component will cost as an add-on.

I thought I heard $400???

My question will be how well the SI works. Hopefully by the time the SI is out for a year, HB will have figured out how to incorporate Lakemaster chips. At that point I’m switching to one or the other.

One thing I like about HB is they allow you to convert their data to a non-proprietory format. If they go along those lines a bit deeper, HB will be the brand for me.

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

I would wait if your planning on a HDS they need to work out a lot of problems. If your getting one this year buy the HB.

machine

Anyone have an idea of when they might go on sale? I am not going to buy one until it does, but thought I would see if anyone had some insider info.
    Thanks.

acar555
    Omaha, NE

The Structure Scan addon will be available Nov 9th for around $600

bulldog
    Minnesota

The NEW HDS LOWRANCE units seem to be soaking up some water in rain storms and shutting down. I would be reluctant to purchase one at this time and if you feel any water in your unit send it back. I just had one die on me after 3 weeks of use. It had at least a cup of water in it. The long and short of the units are that they work great but may not stay running.

jdoely

Just sent in a Hds 7 after 5 weeks of use… 1000$ paper weight for the next 2-3 weeks and an hour on hold.

Really was pulling for Lowrance with these new units.. Kinda at a crossroads now, make another switch or hold my breath.

bigpike

Bought my HD-7 this summer and have had no issues at all, I need to get on a hi def lake to see how that works, the closest to me is Pool 4. This fall…..I like the HD-7 and am looking forward to the SI feature to add on…

jbob
    Hastings, MN

I got 3 on my boat and haven’t had any problems with them. I hated them at first until i got use to them. They work great.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

HB will have figured out how to incorporate Lakemaster chips. At that point I’m switching to one or the other.

HB is allready on it and it should be out soon I think Jason Halfen has a close time line. It will be a soft ware update so all the later HB units will be updated. Only bad thing is I beleive it is a different chip then the Lowrance uses. So that means buying an HB compatibale chip.

WarrenMN2

Quote:

HB is allready on it and it should be out soon I think Jason Halfen has a close time line. It will be a soft ware update so all the later HB units will be updated. Only bad thing is I beleive it is a different chip then the Lowrance uses. So that means buying an HB compatibale chip.

Thats the $64 question the guys doing their own maps have been asking me. It’d be nice if we could do the same with our Humminbirds as the Lowrances but I’m betting they won’t.

WarrenMN

kdb

Quote:

Quote:

I think the real question is how much the side-imaging component will cost as an add-on.

I thought I heard $400???

My question will be how well the SI works. Hopefully by the time the SI is out for a year, HB will have figured out how to incorporate Lakemaster chips. At that point I’m switching to one or the other.

One thing I like about HB is they allow you to convert their data to a non-proprietory format. If they go along those lines a bit deeper, HB will be the brand for me.

I have ‘heard’ $600 for the add-on transducer (SI and DownScan)…and possibly November for availability. Will be too late for me and this ‘open water’ season…but should allow me to get it all lined out for next spring…

I did just upgrade to the HDS-7 (from an LCX-17m) and like what’s there…

I’ve also upgraded my LGC-2000 to the new LGC-4000…and will be playing with the DrDepth software a bit…

Lots to keep me on the water, playing and having fun…besides ‘just fish’…

On a separate note, my bow unit it still an old LMS-480…a real champion/trooper. And I love it. At some point, it might make sense to move to an HDS unit…but only for ‘downscan’ applications…and then ONLY if the transducer can be set up to not be too fragile…I’m a bassguy and that trolling motor is in/out of some pretty nasty stuff…

Bassstick
    Johnsburg , IL. Fox Chain of lakes area

I just installed my HDS5 a few weeks ago and while I like it I still have a lot to get used to but as for the lalke insight it was nice since I installed this as my bow unit and I did not have to buy another map chip for it to see contour lines. I run a chip in my LCX20c at the console and the lake insight at the bow until I can figure out how to network them together.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.