Help on installing a GlobalMap 5300c

• Steve Plantz
    SE MN

First time for me having a GPS for my boat except for a handheld unit. I will not be using a NMEA 2000 network or any NMEA 2000 accessories so from what I can tell I only need to hook up the display unit power cable and hook up a in line power off switch. I also want to use the unit in two different places in the boat so I need to get another power cable and also hook up a in line power off switch in that line as well. Anything else I need to know? Also is there such a thing as a power cable only without the network cables?

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

all the lowrance power cables are the same , they all have the network wire, a power wire to the unit and a power wire for the module, if the unit doesnt have an external module you just need to hook up the pos and neg, not sure why you want the inline switch but thats your choice. You can get extra power cables just about anywhere I think they are 30 -40 dollars. Good Luck Fishing!!!

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Also is there such a thing as a power cable only without the network cables?

PC-23X

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

not sure why you want the inline switch but thats your choice.

They recommend it in the manual especially in the set up I want with an unplugged cable, here is what the Manual says…..

We strongly recommend that you shut off the power supply to the power cable when the unit is not in use, especially in saltwater environments. When the unit is turned off but still connected to a power supply, electrolyisis can occur in the power cable plug. This may result in corrosion of the plug body along with the electrical contats in the cable and the units power socket. Risk of electrolysis corrosion is even greater when the cable is unplugged from the unit, but still connected to a power source.

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

PC-23X

Thanks Dan!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

So anyone out there have this set up using one unit in two different places in the boat?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

IIRC Dan does, youll have to wait til he’s back….

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Quote:

Quote:

PC-23X

Dan I found out that this is not right cable for my unit. The connector on the PC-23X is gray. The power cable for the 5300c (GPS unit only) has a blue connector PC-27BL. Apparently there is no cable for GPS units without the other two wires. I finally got the answers I was looking from the guy at Cabela’s and Lowrance told me that if I am using the power cable only and not the other two, the network cable & the external antenna cable that I do not need to worry about installing an in inline power on/off switch.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Don’t let the color fool you………..

These pics. are of a LMS-520c being powered by a PC-23X power cable.

Switches are optional but Lowrance recommends them and I would certainly install in a bow mount location with no
    shelter at all from the elements.

Pic #1 PC-23X connected to a 520c.

Pic #2 Power to 520c through PC-23X

Pic #3 Proof that I’ve purchased a PC-23X

Pic #4 Scan of Lowrance installation guide recommending a
    switch to display power. (Not mandatory!!)

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Thanks for again for the info Dan, I will not be using mine in the bow. Mine will be behind the windsheild and in the back of the boat when I am trolling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.