Looking for wildlife prints, and advice on the process

• crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’ve got the bug to get a few new wildlife paintings. Of course not originals, but reproductions. I already have a few with fishing scenes, so now I’m looking at scenes with either pheasants, bird dogs, or some combination thereof. It’d be like a lot of paintings you see from wild wings or the art barbarians. Jim Killen and Scot Storm are two artists I really like after snooping around the last week. Both of them have won the state pheasant stamp contest multiple times. The first question is if I should just buy a print and take it somewhere to have it framed or buy it already framed if possible. The other question is I could go a canvas route and there is a method of printing called giclee(french pronounciation) that supposedly uses more and better ink so that the repro. more closely matches the original and lasts longer. Open to anyones opinions/experiences.

MNdrifter

Depends on how many you decide to invest in. I collect Kouba prints. Framing and matting is expensive! I invested in framing and matting equipment and did them myself. It paid for the equipment in just probably 2 prints. Word got around I was doing it and I had people knocking down my door.I got out of it after I ran out of wall space, but it was kind of a fun hobby. There was a store in St. Cloud that was extremely helpful getting started. I will ask the wife if she remembers the name of it. If your interested I’ve got a set of Koubas “The American Classic Series” unframed/matted signed and numbered I’d sell. I never got around to them, and I really am not being allowed anymore wall space from the warden.

Brad Dimond

I second drifter’s advice on framing and matting yourself. It’s interesting and fun to do, agree with the payback being about two prints and you can get a much better idea of frame and matting colors that match your home when you do it at home. Your significant other will soon have you reframing all of the other wall hangings and photographs in the house. Not sure if that is a positive or negative.

blackbay
    mn

I have a number of paintings I’m interested in parting with. They are already framed. Some are artist proofs. They are from Ken Zylla, Sandra Zylla Rolf, a Kouba or two and a few others. PM me and I can send pics.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Albert and Guardian are canvas that was done by the Mark Harlow at Route 66 in Crosslake.
    He offers a Lifetime warranty against fading, picking and cracking. From what I understand the process takes quite a long time.
    We are very pleased with the final product.

The frame for Albert was something I came up with with some live edge black walnut I had in the shop.

Attachments:
    1. Guardian-scaled.jpg

2. Albert-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

The feather is on parchment and is from Sundance. I framed it with a reclaimed piece of redwood.
    The Native is a piece I had laying around for years in my shop before I finally blew the dust off it and milled up a reclaimed deck of fir and redwood.

There is nothing more satisfying then framing your own pieces and the only limitations are your own imagination.

Attachments:
    1. Reclaimed-deck-scaled.jpg

2. Parchment-scaled.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Still not quite sure what I’m going to do with this Picasso but I’m open for suggestions. rotflol

Attachments:
    1. Hammies-scaled.jpg

robby
    Quad Cities

Find folks that are or have been long time Sponsors of Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever, Quail Unlimited, WTF, etc.. Often times these folks have prints literally in piles that they are not displaying.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Still not quite sure what I’m going to do with this Picasso but I’m open for suggestions. rotflol

rotflol rotflol bet that would look good in a certain tuba boat. whistling devil

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Depends on how many you decide to invest in. I collect Kouba prints. Framing and matting is expensive! I invested in framing and matting equipment and did them myself. It paid for the equipment in just probably 2 prints. Word got around I was doing it and I had people knocking down my door.I got out of it after I ran out of wall space, but it was kind of a fun hobby. There was a store in St. Cloud that was extremely helpful getting started. I will ask the wife if she remembers the name of it. If your interested I’ve got a set of Koubas “The American Classic Series” unframed/matted signed and numbered I’d sell. I never got around to them, and I really am not being allowed anymore wall space from the warden.

we had a picture frames at Michaels in st cloud. Yea it wasn’t cheap but looks great.

snelson223
    Austin MN

I would attend any of the banquets for D.U., pheasants forever, deer hunters, wild turkey federation. You can usually pick up painting fairly reasonably and money goes to a good cause.

?????

Give me a call my father was hugely into this and I have 100’s of prints that I can sell cheap. a few framed but so many just the print. 218-556-0710 I need to get rid of these as he has no interest anymore.

MNFishinGuy

If Ruffed Grouse & bird dogs are of interest, the RGS has a bunch of prints that are 75% off in their online store – https://www.uplandstore.org/collections/art

As others have mentioned, framing can be quite expensive, if professionally done but looks great. I’ve also had luck looking at thrift stores and antique shops.

Brittman

Most prints sell below original pricing. Just too many out there and most wildlife collectables (stamps, prints, etc) are a fraction of what they once were. Coins, well made antique furniture (your parents or grand parents), etc.. also can be had for a fraction of prior values.

Big box and locally owned frame shops are around if you look.

Will agree with the above post … framing is the biggest part of the cost.

I have found prints (that I wanted) on ebay, Craig’s list and my wife’s FB marketplace account.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.