Looking for new tires for truck

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Enjoy them, @bigwerm! I will likely put them on my Tahoe when it’s time for new tires. It was sad to trade-in my Sequoia with a good set of Dynapro ATMs on it. frown

Reef W

I got a new set of Yokohama Geolander A/T G015 about 3000 miles ago and am liking them so far. They have a relatively aggressive tread, are ‘Severe Snow Service’ rated although I have no idea if that actually means anything, and were well reviewed when I was looking at tires. At Discount Tire, for four 275/60-20 tires, it came to about $1000 even. So far I really like them. They are very smooth and quieter than the stock Goodyear Wrangler’s ever were.

Attachments:
    1. 20161006_073846_001.jpg

Leo Dogg

I just took off my original Bridgestone Duelers at 103,000 miles. First Bridgestones I’ve ever had. Probably could have gotten more miles if rotations were performed more religiously.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Not sure on your size but I put on the Cooper AT3’s last year on my 04 2500HD and love them. The are quiet but give me great traction for ice fishing and plowing.

PLUS they are made in the USA!

Still have the Cooper AT3’s? I just purchased some for my silverado yesterday. Wondering how they are holding up?

MnPat1

I just took off my original Bridgestone Duelers at 103,000 miles. First Bridgestones I’ve ever had. Probably could have gotten more miles if rotations were performed more religiously.

I changed mine at 93000 just because winter was coming. Great tires and I got another set mounted now.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I had the cooper AT3’s on my last truck and I actually hated them on ice, i’m surprised so many of you really like them. I put Hankook Dynapro tires on my truck this spring and like them so far, but I haven’t had them on snow and ice yet. I hope they do okay.

Stanley

I put on a set of Goodyear duratrac’s 2 yrs ago and love them. I was debating between them and the dyanpros which I heard good things about also. The reason I went with the duratracs was because I don’t put many miles on my truck in a year so I wanted the added snow/ice traction. A friend of mine had the dynapros on his pick up and after seeing my duratracs he put on a set when his dynapros wore out and said he prefers the duratracs in the snow/ice over the dynapros.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

I had the cooper AT3’s on my last truck and I actually hated them on ice, i’m surprised so many of you really like them. I put Hankook Dynapro tires on my truck this spring and like them so far, but I haven’t had them on snow and ice yet. I hope they do okay.

I was told that many of the plow trucks use the Dynapro tires. Hopefully that translates to good winter traction. I have an appointment for a set in about 45 minutes.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

IMO, Dynapros are good in the snow and just adequate on ice, but then again, I have yet to drive a tire that made me think, “man, this traction on glare ice is unbelievable.”

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

IMO, Dynapros are good in the snow and just adequate on ice, but then again, I have yet to drive a tire that made me think, “man, this traction on glare ice is unbelievable.”

haha good point, I have been pretty impressed with blizzak on glare ice though. When thinking of a word for the AT3’s, treacherous comes to mind. A friend of mine had the same results with them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

In a perfect world I would have true snow tires like Blizzak on all winter and AT’s the rest of the year.

Woody

Hankook atms all the way. I have 40000 miles on mine now and love them on every surface! Awesome tires for the buck

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

In a perfect world I would have true snow tires like Blizzak on all winter and AT’s the rest of the year.

That would be great, but like most, I have other priorities–both financial and garage space–that prevent that from happening. doah

NateR
    St Louis Park, MN

Got General Grabber AT2’s put on my truck and even though my gas mileage went down a little the tread on these things are pretty awesome. highly recommend.

Jay Johnson
    Morrison, IL

I had General Grabbers put on my 2006 Durango after the original Goodyear Wrangler SR-A’s were taken off at 80,000 miles. The Grabbers only lasted 40,000 miles and I had to replace them last week. I put Firestone Destination le2 tires on this time because they had a very good rating at TireRack.com. I almost put Hankook tires on but the Firestone tires had a better winter rating. I got 4 tires installed for $607. We’ll see how I like them after awhile. So far they are quiet and have good traction, even in the rain.

Tom Anderson
    Kasson, MN

I have the hankook ATMs on my truck and my wife’s Yukon. I’m a mechanic, I’ve tried many different kinds of tires in our fleet. Michelins are the best tire out there but I could buy Hankooks twice for the cost of a set of Michelins. I have 55000 on the tires on my truck now, I think I’ll get another 10000 out of them. These tires need to be rotated. If you keep them rotated every 6000 or so miles you will not be disappointed with the Hankooks.

skeeter20
    Winnie/Grand Rapids,MN

Thanks guys. I’ve been doing a little research on the Hankook Dyna pros….seem to be a decent tire for the money.

That or a nitto terra grappler. Pretty similar tire. I have ran almost everything out there in an AT type tire and these are the 2 best I have ran. I currently am running the terra grappler g2. Great traction, wear good and usually get around 65k miles on them and I tow a lot of trailers.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The only reason I’m not trying ATM’s is they are 10-ply. This time around I am going 6-ply load range C in the new Nitto Ridge Grappler. At least that is the plan for now. Still a few weeks out yet.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I got a smoking deal on a set of Blizzaks last year. I put them on my wife’s truck all I can say is incredible traction on glare ice! You can barely break em loose out on the lake sitting on glare ice. They obviously wear fast though.

My next tires will be Hankooks ATM’s though… Thanks Guys.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I have had 2 sets of Hankook dyna atm tires 1st set went 70000. 2nd set had 40000 when I traded truck. When I need tires on my new truck I will get dyna pros again

DFP
    Haverhill Iowa

To the users of the Hankook Dynapro’s, do the tires perform well in the mud? I have two pickups. The 3/4 ton super duty has Cooper AT 3’s. I’ve had them now for a couple of years. When they were brand new, they performed very poorly in the mud. I plow snow with the truck and they worked great on snow and ice.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Not sure on your size but I put on the Cooper AT3’s last year on my 04 2500HD and love them. The are quiet but give me great traction for ice fishing and plowing.

Up-date….MY AT3’s are basically shot at 35,000 – 40,000 miles. Rotated religiously. Looking for a tire for good winter plowing & ice fishing but will also get more than 40k miles. Might have to look at the Hankook’s….

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Mocha wrote:</div>

Up-date….MY AT3’s are basically shot at 35,000 – 40,000 miles. Rotated religiously. Looking for a tire for good winter plowing & ice fishing but will also get more than 40k miles. Might have to look at the Hankook’s….

I had also heard from a friend that he loved his AT3’s on his plow truck. So, I in turn put new AT3 slippers on about 20,000 ago. They look like crap.. I’ve rotated them, haven’t been any harder on them than the average Joe, and IMHO they aren’t that good in the snow.. Next time, I’ll be going back to the Bridgestone Dueler AT’s. I really liked those tires and they were GREAT in the snow and ice.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I had also heard from a friend that he loved his AT3’s on his plow truck. So, I in turn put new AT3 slippers on about 20,000 ago. They look like crap.. I’ve rotated them, haven’t been any harder on them than the average Joe, and IMHO they aren’t that good in the snow.. Next time, I’ll be going back to the Bridgestone Dueler AT’s. I really liked those tires and they were GREAT in the snow and ice.

If you’re going Bridgestone/Firestone, I highly recommend Firestone Destination A/T. Incredible snow traction.

Kyhl
    Savage

How do the Dynapro ATMs and Destination A/Ts stack up against BFG A/Ts?

The stock Goodyears, which are also bad, on my F150 are past their prime but I’m trying to stretch one more winter out of them. I’ve run BFG A/Ts a couple of times on older F150s but wouldn’t mind something cheaper if it would bring similar traction, and better life.

In my younger days I have run a BFG M/T in a slightly lifted truck with great results but short tread life. While they were a lot of fun and took me everywhere, those days are long behind me.

Funny example about those M/Ts, back in the blizzard of ’91 I volunteered to drive my mother to work. She worked nights at what was Northwest Airlines and their offices weren’t closed. Heading north across the MN River over Hwy 77 I was passing other vehicles at what I thought was a safe moderate speed. My mom suggested that I slow down. I looked at her and said, don’t worry. If it gets bad enough I’ll put it in 4wd.
    Later on that evening I put it in 4wd and drove around the south metro all night with my friends who were on their sleds and me in my truck. At one point after midnight we were going the wrong way down Co Rd 42 by the Bursville mall. No one else was on the road. Saw one police car in a blazer and didn’t worry because he had no chance of catching us.
    From there we turned up 35E which was basically closed, unplowed at 1am, breaking 60mph with snow from the ground plowing up over my hood.
    Fun times but like I said, those days are long behind me.

The point of these examples is that I like traction and will sacrifice ride and noise for traction.

I’ve also had three different vehicles come with Michelins and am too gun shy to ever try them again. Maybe it was cheap stock tires but I couldn’t wait to toss them in the trash. Repeated results of easily the worst tires I’ve ever owned.

Anyone with BFG experience as a benchmark ever tried Dynapro ATMs or Destination A/Ts that can share their thoughts as a comparison?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

My truck came with BFG tires, not sure what model (so could be apple’s to oranges) but the Hankook Dynapro ATM’s are significantly better. I have a about 26k on them and they still look like new, and I don’t know if I’ve needed to go into 4WD yet despite many trips across frozen lakes last winter.

Viewing 27 posts - 61 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.