Looking for new tires for truck

• Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m getting some Hankook Dynapro ATMs put on my Sequoia on Wednesday. :thumbsup:

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I just put on some new Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac’s. I really like the tread pattern and I thought they may be noisy but I can hardly tell the difference from the OEM’s.

I also put a leveling kit in to bring the front up to match the back. In my opinion this makes the truck look much better, and I gained a lot of clearance on the front end.

Attachments:
    1. DSCF1414.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Now you got me thinking…white letters out or all black? )

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Good post! Got me looking at my tires. Original set from 2007 on Chev 3500 with about 50k on them. If it were spring, I’d get another summer out of them. But going into winter, time to replace. Went with the Cooper AT3 from Fleet Farm with the $50 FF card and $70 rebate. Happy with the deal and happy with the tires so far. (How can you not like a new set of tires!!!)

Went black out. Nothing fancy/flashy here on the work truck.

-J.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Now you got me thinking…white letters out or all black? )

Goodyear made that decision for me. They only offer black on the Dura Trac’s. I’ve always been a black letter guy anyway but the truck had white out on the Bridgestone Duelers that it came with. I never spun them around so it’s nice being back in black. grin

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Back and forth. Back and forth. I decided to have them installed all-black. Why am I so excited for new tires? )

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

I was pretty amped too. There’s nothing like walking out in the garage the next morning and smelling that fresh rubber. I guess it’s a guy thing. grin

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Right up there with the smell of new fiberglass! Guy thing? Yep.

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Good! I’m not the only one. The only bad part about new tires is paying for them.

I’m almost a little excited for the first snowfall to test these out!

Attachments:
    1. Dynapro.jpg

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Hankook dynapro atm . Great tire on my 2nd set on my f-250 Super Duty great traction long even wear reasonably priced.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve always been a white letter out guy but those look like my next tires. Can’t wait to get your feedback in the winter.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’ll defer to the opinions above. Here’s a thought to help narrow down your search.

What factors are most important to you? Mileage? Grip? Mud traction? Noise? Mpg? Like choosing a good rod each one has different pros and cons.

I’ve got a love hate going on right now. Last winter I traded in my 2003 Tahoe with Wrangle AT. Awesome vehicle/tire combination ice fishing. My 2014 Silverado has Wrangler AT-S. Great mpg and very quiet, bring the shovel when ice fishing. The tread is not as aggressive as I would like. Love vs hate aka summer vs winter.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’m surprised by the quietness of the Hankook Dynapro ATMs. For a fairly aggressive tire, they’re quiet (or at least quiet enough to be drowned out by the noise my front differential makes ) ).

BigWerm
    SW Metro

@Ralph and @Hunting4Walleyes how did (are?) your tires hold up? I’m starting the process of shopping for some new tires, and would like some feedback/advice. I’m thinking of getting a little more aggressive AT tire on this go around, as my commute (mileage) has decreased significantly.

Also for anyone, I primarily only tow my Pro V 1775, would it still be worth going to a 10 ply? FWIW I have a 2011 Ram w/ 265 70-17.

p.s. Yes I realize this is an old thread, thanks Google/IDO.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Mine are holding up quite well, and I am still very happy with them. I’d buy them again. I did not buy 10-ply, and I have them on a heavy Sequoia.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

@outdoors86 <—–this is hunting4walleyes, have to put the name on their profile link, not sure why they aren’t all the same, would make it much easier.

I’m starting the process now as well for fall, curious to responses.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I’m surprised by the quietness of the Hankook Dynapro ATMs. For a fairly aggressive tire, they’re quiet (or at least quiet enough to be drowned out by the noise my front differential makes ) ).

I am on my 2nd set of them and absolutely love how quiet they are and still great traction. They wear like iron too!!

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Cooper AT3.. 10 ply. Semi-aggressive tire and they are quiet.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Good to hear on the Hankook’s, they are significantly cheaper than the BFG’s and Goodyear Duratrack’s Discount Tire quoted. Not sure if there is a significant difference, but the two separate reps seemed to think there is between BFG/GY vs Hankook.

Also, the Cooper 10 ply were about the same $ as the BFG 10 ply, but the BFG’s were higher recommended. Just relaying what I’ve been told.

Thanks for all the feedback!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

just put Dynapro’s on my Durango based off of the reviews from gents on this site. just put them on last week though so cant say I have a review of them yet other than to say the ride is smooth and quiet. After all the fees and the warranty (the wife wanted it not me) total cost from discount tire was about $875. Again not necessarily cheap but I think when it comes to tires you get what you pay for

sticker

just put Dynapro’s on my Durango based off of the reviews from gents on this site. just put them on last week though so cant say I have a review of them yet other than to say the ride is smooth and quiet. After all the fees and the warranty (the wife wanted it not me) total cost from discount tire was about $875. Again not necessarily cheap but I think when it comes to tires you get what you pay for

I got the warranty form discount tire on my first set, I got a flat the day before I went to have all 4 replaced. They looked at the flat and said that is covered under warranty. I bought 3 tires and had 4 new ones put on. I got the warranty again.

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

I got new tires last week from a locally owned reputable tire shop. I have bought my tires from the same guy for years. My post is not to tell you what to buy or even what I bought but to call attention to an opportunity I took advantage of.
    I had a $250 gift card from Costco that was going to be used for new tires. I didn’t want to buy from costco but the free money had me leaning that way. So i walked into the local guy and let him know about my situation. HE said, “would you be interested in a set of take offs?” Huh? what are those?
    It turns out a guy bought a new truck, wanted to swap out the tires for custom wheels and mudders, they took the factory tires on trade with the existing mileage. The truck they came off of was new from the dealer across the street, the guy drove the truck until his new wheels came in a total 1,000 miles.
    He said I can let you have these take offs for $100 per tire! 20″ Good years, with 1000 miles on them and $10 per tire for a warranty with free rotations nationwide. 1/2 price for the set. Great deal and they were the same tire i got 50k miles out of from the factory on my Ram. You might want to ask around to find a set of Take offs.

Brady Valberg

Which Hankook DynaPros are you guys running? I see AS, ATM, and HT.

Atm I’ve had 2 sets now…awesome tire the place I bought them from has seen 60k+ out of them if properly taken care of…great traction on anything I have zero complaints my brother and dad also have them on their truck..my dad has the 10 ply as his is a 3/4 ton

sticker

ATM’s for me

oldrat
    Upper Midwest

I just bought another set of Bf Goodrich Long Train at’s. had these on my suburbans and love them.. extremely good ice and snow traction..

oh and if you have some one who you can’t stand.. tell them Fuzion tires.. GOSH DID THOSE SUCK.. if you blew your nose on the driveway or spit.. they would spin..

craig s

I have a duramax(work truck,pull a trailer 50%) and have been running transforce AT’s with no complaints.tough tire and good all season grab.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Good to hear on the Hankook’s, they are significantly cheaper than the BFG’s and Goodyear Duratrack’s Discount Tire quoted. Not sure if there is a significant difference, but the two separate reps seemed to think there is between BFG/GY vs Hankook.

Also, the Cooper 10 ply were about the same $ as the BFG 10 ply, but the BFG’s were higher recommended. Just relaying what I’ve been told.

Thanks for all the feedback!

BW, I had 25,000 on the Dura Tracs when I traded in the truck for a new one. The sales guy asked me if I just put them on when they test drove and priced out the trade. I’m not easy on them and drive a lot of gravel roads in the fall so I think I would definitely go with them again next time I need to purchase tires. I think one of the keys to any tire is to always keep rotating the tires, I know a lot of people that forget and then wonder why they are buying tires so often.

My new truck came with Dura Tracs from the factory so I’m good to go for awhile now. peace

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just wanted to bump this thread since I got the Hankook ATM 10 ply’s put on today. Thanks for the info! And if anyone was shopping Discount Tire was the cheapest by a wide margin including Sam’s for the tires I priced out. The Hankooks were $60/tire less than GY Duratrac 10 plys, BF Goodrich (forgot the comparable model) $50/tire and $20/tire less than Cooper ATP’s. Looking forward to getting a them muddy and then drift busting some lakes this winter! Thanks again!

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.