Looking for a Golden Retriever Puppy

• 85lund
    Menomonie, WI

The boss has finally given us permission to get a dog. We are going to get a golden puppy. I have been searching but have been having a hard time finding one for under $1000. Any IDO folks know of any available in the $400-$500 range? Thanks!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I don’t know of any Golden breeders but this is what I do know. Most times there is a reason why those pups bring that amount. Not saying you can’t get a good pup for $400 but many times you get what you pay for when it comes to dog breeding.

wildfan
    Ogilvie Minnesota

I don’t know of any current litters, but after looking for a Golden I found that most of the 1000$ range ones were English cream Goldens.
    Most of the prices were in the 500-800$ range.
    You can also rescue one at RAGOM ( Retrieve A Golden Of Minnesota ).
    Good luck on your search!

mattgroff

Ottertail retrievers up by Alexandria. He should have a litter. He breeds fox red lab puppies and golden retrievers. Great operation and great bloodlines. Also come with a micro chip and health gaurantee. I bought a red lab and so did my parents. My pup is almost 6 months and is beautiful look him up Kyle is a great guy.

mattgroff

Just looked at his web site and he has a litter of goldens. Give him a call they sell fast.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Not saying you can’t get a good pup for $400 but many times you get what you pay for when it comes to dog breeding.

x2

Also, initial purchase price is a drop in the bucket with dogs. It can be a tough pill to swallow (or tough sell to the wife), but an extra $600 up front is nothing over the lifetime of the dog if it means really getting what you want.

Good luck with your search, and be sure to post puppy pics! I’m anxiously awaiting a dog to go into heat right now. peace

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Not at that price range, but Stoney Acres Retrievers here in Rhinelander breed some of the best, most beautiful(and beautifully friendly) dogs I’ve ever seen. Deep down I’ve always been a Black Lab guy, but fell in love with these dogs. We’ll be getting our second later this year. Yes, that’s a blatant plug-they’ve more than earned it. Nicest, most dedicated to the breed people you’re likely to come across.
    As for price…they’ve sold three litters now, but on the off chance that a puppy isn’t claimed a pretty reasonable deal can possibly be struck? I know it’s how we almost ended up with one of Libby’s last litter. -)
    You can check them out here: http://www.stoneyacresretrievers.com/

-Rev

Bass_attack

We have bought expensive goldens and less expensive ones the more money seems to get a highly energenic bird dog. The cheaper dogs are a lot more mellow imo and they still hunt Just not as fast and with as much drive. All of these dogs dont seem to really understand hunting until year 2-3 of being in the field. We have always had a older dog in the field with the younger dog maybe this makes the learning expieriance slower or faster idk I could find the number of a breeder we bought a purebreed golden from for $600 if you would like. We bought the dog from the first litter they had so maybe the price has increased in the past 2 years anyways.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

We have bought expensive goldens and less expensive ones the more money seems to get a highly energenic bird dog. The cheaper dogs are a lot more mellow imo and they still hunt Just not as fast and with as much drive. All of these dogs dont seem to really understand hunting until year 2-3 of being in the field. We have always had a older dog in the field with the younger dog maybe this makes the learning expieriance slower or faster idk I could find the number of a breeder we bought a purebreed golden from for $600 if you would like. We bought the dog from the first litter they had so maybe the price has increased in the past 2 years anyways.

I am not a hunter so I would actually prefer the mellow dog. This will be my 3rd golden so I do know what I am getting into. I just don’t want to pay 1K. If I have to I will. The old get what you pay for adage possible.

404 ERROR
    MN

There’s an old member on here that just got a golden puppy pretty reasonably. I’ll text him to chime in.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Thanks. I have found one for 600 about an hour away. Got some pics of puppies and parents and her home. Looks good from the outside. Going to look this weekend. I’ll keep ya posted!

redneckjr
    Rosemount, MN

There’s an old member on here that just got a golden puppy pretty reasonably. I’ll text him to chime in.

Ya ya ya…as far as puppies I just got one out of a litter back in jan. Couldnt be happier with him. He was right around the 6-700 dollar range. Ill get the breeder info but it sounds like she may have another litter next jan if youre still lookin then

Attachments:
    1. 20160328_184735.jpg

2. 20160409_131854.jpg

mojogunter

I’m a springer guy, and I would guess Goldens are the same as far as breed type. There are field bred springer spaniels and bench bred springer spaniels. The bench are show dogs, and the field bred are for hunting drive. Bench tend to be much more calm than the field. I have a couple of bench. They are the most laid back springers you will find. I had a field springer and he was a great dog too, but much more energy and a better nose.

Attachments:
    1. 20160109_113755.jpg

2. 20160214_172549.jpg

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Good looking pups guys! If this one doesn’t work out I’ll check back with you @redneckjr Thanks!

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Here he is. They boys named him Bently. We bring him home mid June! We are all excited. Thanks for all the replies guys!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0011.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.