Long johns

• Rod Bent

This cold spell has me reminiscing about the “good” old days, some things you don’t see nowadays.
    White, cotton longies. Not the thermal or waffle-knit kind. Plain vanilla, whitey-tighty long johns. I miss them.
    Heet. Always had a can of heet to put in the gas tank.
    Winter thermostats. Had to change thermostats winter and summer.
    Studded snow tires. They really worked good.
    Anybody else have anything good or not so good to add?

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

White, cotton longies. Not the thermal or waffle-knit kind. Plain vanilla, whitey-tighty long johns. I miss them.

Fleet farm still has plain long johns.
    When was the last time you saw one of the old wood dowel fishing rod with a nail on the end and two pegs to wrap the line around being used? I still have 5 of them that my grandpa made me but haven’t used them since I was 12.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ya, my truck sits inside and I don’t have to jump start it anymore.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My dad is/was a notorious cheapskate. I recall using a spoon auger through the mid-90s. I actually didn’t mind it. It must have been 5″, and it was sharp and cut pretty well. The only drawback was clearing ice chips out of your hole while you were drilling.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I’m convinced that Bloedow’s in Winona has the best maple bacon longjohns in the world. Change my mind.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I’m convinced that Bloedow’s in Winona has the best maple bacon longjohns in the world. Change my mind.

You know I like long John’s and I like bacon but the two together just ain’t right to me.

Bread bags to ‘waterproof’ your snow boots, we still managed to get wet feet though.

Snow banks so big we could build a series of tunnels through them, I’ve not seen snowbanks like I remember having as a kid in a long time, but maybe it’s as much because I was much smaller and not that they were bigger.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Snow banks so big we could build a series of tunnels through them, I’ve not seen snowbanks like I remember having as a kid in a long time, but maybe it’s as much because I was much smaller and not that they were bigger.
    [/quote]

I remember the same things. We used to build massive tunnels and igloos. Snow forts for days

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>philtickelson wrote:</div>

You know I like long John’s and I like bacon but the two together just ain’t right to me.

Have you tried them? If so, carry on. If you haven’t, really give it a try. The salty bacon/sweet maple icing combo really works well together.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Longjohns are a pastry.

I think the tunnels we all remember building are gone because all the rural roads are now elevated. They don’t collect and hold the snow like when we were kids. But yes, we were all smaller then also.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

I wore bread bags inside my boots as a kid. lol

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I remember the same things. We used to build massive tunnels and igloos. Snow forts for days[/quote]

I tried to recreate this for my son last year. I blew all the snow in the back yard into one pile. It took a whole Saturday. Sunday we went out to make a snow fort and tunnels. He got tire and cold after 20 min and went inside to warm up. I finished it and brought him back out. He looked at it and said “that’s nice” and went back inside. doah We used it for 2 snowball fights and that was it. As a kid I would spend days making snow forts.

Rod Bent

Yah, bread bags and frozen zippers on your galoshes.
    If it was really cold I put Dad’s wool socks over my shoes, then put on the bread bags.
    I still have Grandpa’s dowel and nail fishing rod. Use it occasionally.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For the original poster my dad still uses a jigging rod with the two Nails in it when we are in shallow water

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I remember going sliding all the time take 20 seconds to get down the hill and 20 minutes to drag the sled back up the hill. Time after time after time all day long, get home and be soaked from head to toe. Once the ice built up enough did not need the sled those old nylon snowsuits would just zzzzzing down the hill. Now those old round saucers were just plain dangerous no way to steer them got banged up man times on those and Mom never thought of running me to doctor or the ER. If you weren`t bleeding or broken you were good to go.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I’m too poor to buy the real good stuff but I sure appreciate the new wind breaking and moisture wicking technology available today. The Scotchgard on a pair of jeans technology prevented me from getting into skiing with my friends that could afford real snow suits.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I wore bread bags inside my boots as a kid. lol

I’ve been there and also tied magazines on my legs for shin pads when I first started playing hockey.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We used to get pulled in the winter behind a 1954 farmall tractor on an old car hood turned upside down. We’d be in the ditch and the tractor on the gravel road. Can’t believe no one ever got hurt.

Rod Bent

We went bumper-skiing behind cars in StPaul. The streets usually only got sanded at the main crossing. Lots of folks gave me a tow and never knew it!

milemark_714

We went bumper-skiing behind cars in StPaul. The streets usually only got sanded at the main crossing. Lots of folks gave me a tow and never knew it!

That was popular in Racine,called it skitching.Back when a bumper had something to hang onto.

What was the purpose of using bread bags?Keep feet dry because of leaky boots?

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rod Bent wrote:</div>

That was popular in Racine,called it skitching.Back when a bumper had something to hang onto.

yep!!!!!!!!!!!

back to long underwear!!! jester i havent used them in 30 years. ever since a construction friend told me about insulated and lined pants!!!!!!!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

“back to long underwear!!! jester i havent used them in 30 years. ever since a construction friend told me about insulated and lined pants!!!!!!!”

I just found one of my pairs of thinsulate lined Jean’s I wore in my carpenter days, unfortunately they apparently shrank sitting in the bottom of my dresser the last 10 years.

Phil, I’ve had the bleadows ones, I just cant do it, but then I’m one of those people who likes spaghetti and spaghetti sauce (the chunky stuff with burger chunks in it), but only as long as they are separate on the plate.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

As a kid I would spend days making snow forts

Me too. Wasn’t much else to do on the farm when I was grounded from the forewheeler )

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yup cheap arse boots. Bread bags were a regular.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

“back to long underwear!!! jester i havent used them in 30 years. ever since a construction friend told me about insulated and lined pants!!!!!!!”

I just found one of my pairs of thinsulate lined Jean’s I wore in my carpenter days, unfortunately they apparently shrank sitting in the bottom of my dresser the last 10 years.

rotflol rotflol yea i had that issue myself……i blamed the wife doing laundry. fortunetly i lost some of my love handles and they now fit me.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

mom had the bread bag boot liners, also that long piece of yarn that went through each jacket sleeve and had snaps on each end to keep my mittens from getting lost. Always had a long red wool scarf to cover up my face. Remember outdoor hockey games, one line rotated out from the warming house and the next line went in. Never was really a fan of long johns. Now those maple frosted long johns with bacon sound awesome.

mike-west
    Amery, WI

The heaters in my 1st couple cars were so bad I didn’t think about going anywhere (especially tip up fishing) without cans of sterno. Really came in handy, especially those out-in-the-middle of nowhere field parties that were so common in my day.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>
    As a kid I would spend days making snow forts

Me too. Wasn’t much else to do on the farm when I was grounded from the forewheeler )

“grounded from the four wheeler”?
    Heck, you’re still a youngster. Back when I was a kid, there was no such thing as a four wheeler, heck, even three wheelers hadn’t hit the market yet. wave Now it’s time for my nap. sleeping

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

I remember doing this a couple times in the front yard as a kid in NY. Last year we had enough snow here to do it near the driveway where I kept blowing snow, and on the curbs of the streets. I think we had at least one 20ft tunnel, forts, etc. So glad my kids got to experience that.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.