Logging in

• asch
    Eastern Iowa

Could you have made it any more difficult to log in to the new site. 2 e-mails and a 12 character password? This is a fishing site not a bank account.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

12 characters? I changed mine to my old 9 character one.

Well now that you are logged in and you checked the keep me logged in, you should be content.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Could you have made it any more difficult to log in to the new site. 2 e-mails and a 12 character password? This is a fishing site not a bank account.

2 emails? Wow. The horrors.

Andy Fiolka
    Boise, Idaho

James, it appears that patience is no longer a virtue around here, haha.

And to think, you get to spend your hard-earned cash to upgrade (for the better) this site so that we (for free) get to hang out here and talk fishing. I for one, sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Andy

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I thought the new log in process was easy, but that is just me. The new site looks great so far!

rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

For anyone looking to recover their account and get logged back in, we have a very easy process for doing so. Click here to get the ball rolling >>> http://www.in-depthoutdoors.com/community/forums/topic/members-recovering-account/

I have tried this process several times and can never change my password from the temporary one the is sent in the second email. I put in the temp password in the top box, my email addy in the middle one and put my new password in the two bottom boxes and get a message that no changes can be made to my password.

Also is 30-45 seconds a normal page upload for everyone here or is it just me??

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I’m seeing about 2-5 seconds to load a page right now on Safari, and Chrome.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m seeing about 2-5 seconds to load a page right now on Safari, and Chrome.

Which is still much too slow but a major step in the right direction from where we started from. There’s non-stop tweaking and assessment going on right now with speed improvements our #1 priority.

Riverruns

Also is 30-45 seconds a normal page upload for everyone here or is it just me??

Same here for me? Takes awhile to load any page. Just as Jim stated.
    Shawn

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

No big problems with the the page loading but the whole recovery process was somewhat frustrating. The Members Recovering Account was only an instruction page. Seems like it would have been easier to provide a link to the specific recover password link. I didn’t get my previous account name, no big deal but it seems like in this day and age……..

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No big problems with the the page loading but the whole recovery process was somewhat frustrating. The Members Recovering Account was only an instruction page. Seems like it would have been easier to provide a link to the specific recover password link. I didn’t get my previous account name, no big deal but it seems like in this day and age……..

Dave- you definitely should have been able to get reconnected with your original account and use your previous username. What was your old account name?

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

James & Crew – an update of this magnitude comes with challenges. I appreciate the efficiency with which you fixed the couple minor things I sent your way. I’m now able to upload photos and can link to threads I’ve created w/o log out. Impressive turn around!

For all that find issues take the time to provide step by step details as to how you arrived at your perceived issue and it’ll only help get it thoroughly diagnosed and possibly fixed.

Acting like a complete jack hole is hardly necessary. Kurt

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James & Crew – an update of this magnitude comes with challenges. I appreciate the efficiency with which you fixed the couple minor things I sent your way. I’m now able to upload photos and can link to threads I’ve created w/o log out. Impressive turn around!

For all that find issues take the time to provide step by step details as to how you arrived at your perceived issue and it’ll only help it diagnosed and possibly fixed.

Acting like a complete jack hole is hardly necessary. Kurt

Kurt

We take tracking down bugs and getting things fixed for our visitors very seriously and that’s why we really appreciate it when guys like you take the time to report a problem and provide some detail (device type, browser, forum, etc.) on what you ran into. With that in hand we can fix just about anything and get it done very quickly! So to you, and all the others that have worked with us to make this a better site, WE THANK YOU!

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

James,

I think I’m OK for now as I’m on and off running. Admittedly took a while, probably took for granted that everything would transfer over from the old site, I think I’ll live! Agree with Kurt, I am impressed that you have responded to everyone’s concern, that’s not a small task. At least you are back online.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

James,

I think I’m OK for now as I’m on and off running. Admittedly took a while, probably took for granted that everything would transfer over from the old site, I think I’ll live! Agree with Kurt, I am impressed that you have responded to everyone’s concern, that’s not a small task. At least you are back online.

Well, if you want to get connected to your old account now’s the time. It is really quite easy to do. So just let me know. We’re here to help.

As for responding to everyone’s concerns I think the dev team and I responded to over 400 emails, requests for login help or other issues over the weekend alone. Today, Monday, has been a blur but we’re keeping our heads above water and the pace seems to be slowing down which is a very good sign.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

and provide some detail (device type, browser, forum, etc.) on what you ran into.

You have no idea how frustrating, “It doesn’t work” or “It isn’t working” is as a developer.

“You” in general terms. I am sure “you” know the feeling James just working with your dev team.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

and provide some detail (device type, browser, forum, etc.) on what you ran into.

You have no idea how frustrating, “It doesn’t work” or “It isn’t working” is as a developer.

“You” in general terms. I am sure “you” know the feeling James just working with your dev team.

Yup. We’ve had our fair share of that in the last 48 hours. But the guys that take the time to share some info intended to help solve the issue they’re seeing make up for it.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

WOW, just had to go through the whole ‘get-a-new-password’ thing again. What ever that was. Anyway, I’m back on. POC(piece of cake)! )

On further review – POW – I just changed my avatar ! BAM ! ) it to was a POC )
    Give this thing some time my fishing and hunting nation and this thing will ROCK! )

Right James )

mustfish

As stated above on this thread (and not yet replied to)…

It would have been VERY helpful if the page of instructions on “recovering your account” had an prominent and easy-to-find link to the “recover password” page that begins that process.

The only link I can find to “Recover Password” is way at the bottom of each page on this site, in a tiny font, buried in several other standard links such as “Help” and “Contact Us”.

Why not have a “Click here to start this recovery process” link very prominently placed in the instructions you wrote telling how to USE this nearly-hidden page?

vern
    Richfield, MN

I forgot my original e-mail address so I couldn’t recover my account. I e-mailed IDO for help & received a response in a couple hours. I’m back in. Thanks!!

jerry b
    western WI

I had a dickens of a time getting logged in and set up. Finally I realized that it was early and I only had one cup of coffee. One cup doesn’t cut the cobwebs like it used to. After cup #2, things went along very well. There are a couple things I’ve noticed but we’ll save them for another time. I’m sure James’ crew has a full plate and doesn’t need anything more for a while. jerr

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I had no issues changing my password, but the site is terribly slow using Opera as a browser. Switched to FireFox and it is about 4-5 times faster. Not sure why Opera is so slow, it’s fine on any other sites and was fine on the old site. Still a little slow with FireFox but way better than Opera.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

As stated above on this thread (and not yet replied to)…

It would have been VERY helpful if the page of instructions on “recovering your account” had an prominent and easy-to-find link to the “recover password” page that begins that process.

The only link I can find to “Recover Password” is way at the bottom of each page on this site, in a tiny font, buried in several other standard links such as “Help” and “Contact Us”.

Why not have a “Click here to start this recovery process” link very prominently placed in the instructions you wrote telling how to USE this nearly-hidden page?

We have the “recover account” page displayed prominently on the home page as well. In case others were looking for another location to access it.

Attachments:
    1. recover.png

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey @jamesholst, what is the definition of a Keymaster?

At first I thought it was a Ghost Busters reference but I come to find out Keymaster is synonymous with “the guy that will be blamed for anything that goes wrong.” And I have admin access throughout the site. So those two things just about cover it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.