Little Kids Squirrel Hunting (Help)

• B-man

I had big plans to take my boys over to Wisconsin to tag along on their first ever squirrel hunt with my buddy, but he just tweaked his back and may or may not be able to do it.

The kids are still stoked, but if we can’t make it work with him I’d rather not buy a $55-75 tag over there just to kill a tree rat lol

Can any of you guys help us out? We live in Chisago county and I don’t have any spots here other than public stuff to take the boys out on.

Just looking to get the kids out for their time after squirrels, not to fill a bag. I have a MN license, we could go with you or alone.

I hate asking, but promised the kids we’d go.

Thanks guys for any help. The boys and I would appreciate it more than you know peace

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20191017_180815.jpg

riverruns
    Inactive

Just a quick question? Why not take them on public?

I don’t know your area or if there are that many people on the public by you. Squirrels should be an easy walk with a couple of young kids like that. Pastured land would be best though. Easier walking and seeing the tree rats.

B-man

I still might, but the stuff around us (Carlos Avery) is full of people and low on animals, especially in the easy places I’d have to take the boys.

It’s not out of the question, but I want them to enjoy their first time out (see a squirrel) )

I’d much rather buy one of you guys a case of beer than buy a WI license. At least I know it would go to a good cause )

Deuces

We are loaded up in mpls here. Backdrop on the garage with some well placed seeds you’ll go thru some pellets.

I’m kidding of course. We love all gods creatures here whistling

buck-slayer

I don’t think you need a license if just mentoring them. You just can’t carry a gun. Lots of public land and I don’t think there’s alot of squirrel hunters out there

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

I don’t think you need a license if just mentoring them. You just can’t carry a gun. Lots of public land and I don’t think there’s alot of squirrel hunters out there

????? Not sure if the Mentor program applies with non residents. Even if it did, The mentor needs a lisc. and can only mentor one kid at a time.
    From Wisc regs.:
    Hunter Mentorship Program This program allows a person to hunt without the need to first take hunter education, provided the hunter and the mentor comply with the following rules. Rules that apply to the hunter. The hunter must: • possess the appropriate hunting license, permits, stamps and tags/harvest authorizations; • hunt within arms-reach of their mentor regardless of the age of the hunter; • comply with all other hunting laws, seasons and bag limits. Rules that apply to the mentor. The mentor must: • be at least 18 years old; • be a hunter education graduate unless they were born before Jan. 1, 1973 or have completed basic training with the U.S. Armed Forces; • be the hunter’s parent or guardian, or have the permission of the hunter’s parent or guardian before acting as a mentor for a person under 18; • possess a current year’s Wisconsin hunting license. The type of hunting license does not matter unless the mentor will also be attempting to harvest the same type of game; Note: certain exemptions for the hunting license requirement apply if mentoring on a licensed bird or deer hunting preserve or on land the mentor owns or occupies. • only serve as a mentor for one hunter at a time.

buck-slayer

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>buck-slayer wrote:</div>

????? Not sure if the Mentor program applies with non residents. Even if it did, The mentor needs a lisc. and can only mentor one kid at a time.
    From Wisc regs.:
    Hunter Mentorship Program This program allows a person to hunt without the need to first take hunter education, provided the hunter and the mentor comply with the following rules. Rules that apply to the hunter. The hunter must: • possess the appropriate hunting license, permits, stamps and tags/harvest authorizations; • hunt within arms-reach of their mentor regardless of the age of the hunter; • comply with all other hunting laws, seasons and bag limits. Rules that apply to the mentor. The mentor must: • be at least 18 years old; • be a hunter education graduate unless they were born before Jan. 1, 1973 or have completed basic training with the U.S. Armed Forces; • be the hunter’s parent or guardian, or have the permission of the hunter’s parent or guardian before acting as a mentor for a person under 18; • possess a current year’s Wisconsin hunting license. The type of hunting license does not matter unless the mentor will also be attempting to harvest the same type of game; Note: certain exemptions for the hunting license requirement apply if mentoring on a licensed bird or deer hunting preserve or on land the mentor owns or occupies. • only serve as a mentor for one hunter at a time.

Oops wrong again

B-man

Well we made it out with my buddy and his boy yesterday. It was windy and the grey squirrels were no where to be seen lol

We didn’t cover a ton of ground with the kids, but had fun anyways. A couple red squirrels entertained the boys mrgreen

Attachments:
    1. MVIMG_20191026_102920.jpg

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Looks like they were having a good time. Glad you could get out.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

The youth mentoring program does apply to non residents. I used it with my grandson for years until he got to old.

David Blais

I thought small game did not require a hunters certificate. Then the mentor program would not apply to only one kid per adult

John Yelinek

Anybody have any good squirrel recipes. Preferably fried or oven cooked roasted etc ? Thanks for any info you guys can attribute. John

eyefishwalleye
    Central MN

Check with cousin Eddie, he usually eats these goddamn things…although he did read that squirrels were high in cholesterol.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

The younger ones we would just coat in flour and fry in butter. Older/tougher ones would do a quick seer on them and then let them simmer in cream of mushroom soup to help tender them up. Those are the 2 main ways we would eat, we used to eat a lot of squirrels when I was young, great way to get kids into hunting. My dad and I had a contest one season, I think I ended up with 36 and he had 34….we ate them quite often that year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.