Light switch question

• Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

I replaced an outdoor light with a security cam. The light was controlled by a standard wall switch with 2 posts, one for the bLack and one for a white wire and a ground wire. Can I bypass the switch so I have constant power to the security camera by taking the black and white wires off switch and connecting them together? If I can do that what would I do with the ground wire?
    Thanks

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Yeah…..I wouldn’t try that. Are you sure the white and black wire go to the switch?

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

When you pull the switch out there should be white and black going into and out of the switch. Remove the switch and connect white to white and black to black. Get a solid wall cover plate.

Coletrain27

Yeah…..I wouldn’t try that. Are you sure the white and black wire go to the switch?

If you turn the switch on and the outside light comes on then I’m guessing so jester

Coletrain27

Or just leave the switch on all the time?

?????

Sounds like you have a switch loop we call it. If all you have in the box is the black and white and ground just hook the two together and fold the ground back unused. You are good to go. In this case the power is in the light box and they hook the white of a 2 wire romex to the hot in the light box and return on the black that hooks to the light. Not uncommon. By todays codes you can still do this but you always need a neutral in any switch box.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just leave the switch on… and black electrical tape holding it in the up position… rotflol

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I would bypass the switch at the light myself

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Sounds like you have a switch loop we call it. If all you have in the box is the black and white and ground just hook the two together and fold the ground back unused. You are good to go. In this case the power is in the light box and they hook the white of a 2 wire romex to the hot in the light box and return on the black that hooks to the light. Not uncommon. By todays codes you can still do this but you always need a neutral in any switch box.

All my homes have been wired with conduit and individual wires, but why would an electrician using 2-wire Romex, with the hot in the switch box, not connect both blacks to the switch, rather than make the white lead switched, and the black the return (neutral)?

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Romex-switch.jpg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

what would I do with the ground wire?
    Thanks

Similar to the black and white, connect the bare copper wires.

Tom schmitt

Listen to this guy and ignore the rest.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kabekonacrazy wrote:</div>

All my homes have been wired with conduit and individual wires, but why would an electrician using 2-wire Romex, with the hot in the switch box, not connect both blacks to the switch, rather than make the white lead switched, and the black the return (neutral)?

HRG

HRG,

The way I read the original posting is he only has (1) black wire, (1) white wire and (1) ground coming into the switch box.
    In your example you show (2) of each.

Smoker
    Blaine, Minnesota

I believe kabekona’s loop switch answer is correct. I forgot to mention earlier that the light box had power to it even after I turned the switch off. Had to shut it down at the breaker.
    Should be an easy fix.
    Thanks

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Listen to this guy and ignore the rest.

This^^

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>

HRG

HRG,

The way I read the original posting is he only has (1) black wire, (1) white wire and (1) ground coming into the switch box.
    In your example you show (2) of each.

Thanks. I re-read the OP and now see that the hot is in the light box, not the switch box.

HRG

Loren I Duerr

Just eliminate the switch loop in the light/camera box. Take black and white in light box to camera (with breaker off) cap black and white to switch, remove wires from switch cap or tape and install blank cover.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Picture

Attachments:
    1. Switch-Loop.jpg

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.