Life jackets!

• mud

This morning was a big wake up call for all of us. I was out on a job this morning when 2 of us heard someone hollering. We happened to look out and spotted a fisherman struggling in the water, and his boat was motoring away. We were able to get out to him and get his boat back. He was fishing solo, hooked a fish but lost his footing with the net and ended up in the lake. No life jacket. His boat trolling motor was still goong and he would not have made it to shore. Im so grateful we had a good outcome, but had none of us been there luckily, im sure he wouldn’t have made it. It can happen to ANY of us, at any time. Dont think that it cant! Please be safe

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

That is wild. You often hear of people drowning because they fall in when the boat is up on plane going faster, but falling in while fighting a fish and the bow mount running is a new one for me.

Gitchi Gummi

good work mud. the universe works in mysterious ways sometime. great reminder for everyone, especially with cooler water temps, to always wear your LJ.

robby
    Quad Cities

God put you there. Thank you for answering his call. Super cool story, and great job! Several lessons to be learned here. Perhaps autopilot or continuous power can be a bane. No life jacket is another. Again great job saving this persons life and keeping his boat from harm. Proud of you.

mud

He said he pointed the boat to go away from shore so he could have time toland his fish. It was too big for his net, i believe he leaned over the stern and was in the water. Happened so quick. Lost his pole, net and fish but not his life! For that im very thankful.

mud

Robby,Im just glad God put us there this morning. I wasnt supposed to be there today. Its all for him. None for me. We took turns stopping in to check on him until ems came. It hit me when i saw his fence outside the cabin. All the names of his grandkids…today was his lucky day. I just happened to be a part of it. So grateful he is topside!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Where are you talking about Mud?

Grim, if you dig a bit in MN and WI, there are more people that drown going slow or even stopped then going fast.

PS Congratulations Mud!!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

OK we’re supposed to be hooked up to the kill switch on an outboard motor so in the event we fall out of the boat, the motor stops. Fine. With my trolling motor I can either use the slide switch and have it on continuously, or step on the momentary contact switch. In other words if I’m running the trolling motor and fall out of the boat, my foot isn’t on the switch and the motor stops. That seems like the same thing, right?

SR

queenswake
    NULL

I look at kids today and how it’s so ingrained in them to put on a helmet before stepping foot on their bike or scooter. They will feel naked biking without a helmet as adults. Here’s to hoping that same thing will happen to this generation with PFDs as well. It will feel so unnatural to be out there without one that they will never do it.

You need to be wearing one anytime out alone but especially in cooler weather, especially on a Monday morning with no one else out on the lake or sitting outside within earshot. Especially when you are old enough to have grandkids. Just so many reasons.

I imagine you are all shook up, too. A moment you will never forget I’m sure. Bet he sends a Christmas card this year.

Umy
    South Metro

Mud -firsthand this Sunday to your point.
    Coming home from North Arm on Rainy Lake.
    Life jacket on, kill switch attached.
    Waves of 2-2.5 feet ( wet but doable) and round a point staring at upwards of 5-6 footers for the foreseeable horizon some 3 miles away. NO WAY would I have been able to stop in this water to put on my vest or connect my tether. All I could do was keep her into the waves and head for a side bay to weather it out.
    NEVER trust the water, especially when i am alone. On local lakes I am far less diligent to my shame. Your story hammered that home. My outcome could easily have been an obituary had I been swamped or hit rocks that are far enough under the surface in relatively calm water but which are exposed with those kinds of waves.
    THANK YOU and GOOD on you for being there at the right time!!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

You need to be wearing one anytime out alone but especially in cooler weather, especially on a Monday morning with no one else out on the lake or sitting outside within earshot. Especially when you are old enough to have grandkids. Just so many reasons.

I’ve said this before, but its worth mentioning again. Until they make it a state law, a certain percentage of boaters will never wear one. Never. I can’t tell you how many people I see every time I go fishing that do not have one on, even when their boat is on plane hauling a** or its May and the water temps are like 45 degrees. As of right now, state law says they must be “accessible,” not worn. I see it like seat belts in a car. Until it becomes state law, it just aint gonna happen.

You are required to use a cord attached to the kill switch though. That is required anytime you are on plane. Seems silly to require that and not require a PFD, at least when the boat is on plane.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

congrats mud on being there for someone in need!!!!! woot waytogo

Gim……. i guess with your argument same could be said for motorcycles and helmets????

i never wear a life jacket!!!!! and i really dont need someone forcing me to either……. mind your own bobber!!!!!!! if its that bad i dont go out. any any sized body of water!!!!1

Ron
    Victoria, mn

OK we’re supposed to be hooked up to the kill switch on an outboard motor so in the event we fall out of the boat, the motor stops. Fine. With my trolling motor I can either use the slide switch and have it on continuously, or step on the momentary contact switch. In other words if I’m running the trolling motor and fall out of the boat, my foot isn’t on the switch and the motor stops. That seems like the same thing, right?

SR

Steve, I can run my TM from my Humminbird screen, with the TM remote, or using the foot pedal on “continuous”, none of which would know if I fell out of the boat. I always wear my life jacket in the boat, as I mostly fish solo and I’m old and wobbly. grin

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Gim……. i guess with your argument same could be said for motorcycles and helmets????

i never wear a life jacket!!!!! and i really dont need someone forcing me to either……. mind your own bobber!!!!!!! if its that bad i dont go out. any any sized body of water!!!!1

Some states do require helmets you know. 18 of them, in fact. So quite a few.

If you choose not to wear a PFD, that’s your business. You do not have to. Clearly the data shows that your odds of living are significantly higher if you do. Same with a motorcycle helmet.

I don’t wear a PFD when I’m fishing, just as a side note. I do wear one when I’m on plane in the boat though.

mud

Up near Milltown Wisconsin

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Gim…..i generally speak for the state we live in…..nowhere else.

mud

I look at kids today and how it’s so ingrained in them to put on a helmet before stepping foot on their bike or scooter. They will feel naked biking without a helmet as adults. Here’s to hoping that same thing will happen to this generation with PFDs as well. It will feel so unnatural to be out there without one that they will never do it.

I imagine you are all shook up, too. A moment you will never forget I’m sure. Bet he sends a Christmas card this year.

Yes, it was definitely a little emotional, i wont lie. A big thanks goes to the guy with me. We both headed out to him. He took a life jacket out and tossed it to him and held onto him. I took off for the boat. All we had were a couple of kayaks! Thats all we could grab right away from a neighbors place. Like i said, im just glad hes alive for his family. Im no hero. Id do it all over again without question. Years ago, ill never forget a pair of fisherman stuck out in a storm on the lake. Couldnt get their motor started. My dad didnt thi k twice and went out and towed them in with his 14 foot boat. They wanted to pay my dad for our cabin and he refused. He said the only payment i want is that you do the same for someone else in need. It really stuck with me and taught me what he valued. I never forgot it. If anything today was my turn to help do that for someone and to share the reminder that we’re not immune to trouble. It can happen to any of us. Thanks Dad!you’d be proud.
    Stay safe!

B-man

Mud, I’m glad that you guys were in the right place at the right time. That man forever owes you a debt of gratitude.

As for lifejackets, it blows my mind how many people don’t wear them. I’m in shape and can swim very well, but I always have one on.

For those that don’t think they need one, I challenge you to jump off the boat fully clothed with footwear on. After about 4 seconds the thought of a PFD will seem like the best idea in the world to you.

Anyone in my boat is required to have one on (I provide an inflatable if they don’t have one of their own). Everyone will make it home, it’s as simple as that.

Mud, I grew up in the area and lived there for 25 years. You from there? What lake was it on?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Glad he survived. Not nearly as glad as his family is.

As far as the PFD “debate”, The mindset of; “it will never happen to me” is extremely shortsighted.

mud

Mud, I’m glad that you guys were in the right place at the right time. That man forever owes you a debt of gratitude.

As for lifejackets, it blows my mind how many people don’t wear them. I’m in shape and can swim very well, but I always have one on.

For those that don’t think they need one, I challenge you to jump off the boat fully clothed with foot wear on. After about 4 seconds the thought of a PFD will seem like the best idea in the world to you.

Anyone in my boat is required to have one on (I provide an inflatable if they don’t have one of their own). Everyone will make it home, it’s as simple as that.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mud wrote:</div>

Mud, I grew up in the area and lived there for 25 years. You from there? What lake was it on?

No, I’m doing a framing job up there. Bone Lake

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Bman, why would I do something stupid like that.
    Guess I’m in the you do you, I’ll be me, or watch your own bobber.

B-man

Bman, why would I do something stupid like that.

That’s the whole point.

People don’t usually plan to fall out of a perfectly good boat.

I’m in the you-do-you crowd too, but it’s also important to remember that everything is trying to kill you.

If seat belt laws were abolished tomorrow, I’d still wear one.

If snowmobile helmet laws were abolished, I’d still wear one.

If life jackets were no longer required in boats, I’d still wear one.

Self preservation is important to me and we all take calculated risks.

You couldn’t pay me a million dollars to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. I used to drive a wrecker in highschool, and learned they’re called Organ Donors for a reason. Be a tough guy if you want, but I’ve seen the outcome…

Mud, I spent a huge part of my childhood on Bone Lake. My grandparents lived on Dueholm Drive (SW end). I would ride my bike three miles to their house every day during summer break and lived on the end of the dock )

glenn57
    cold spring mn

not trying to be a tough guy……….

MX1825

Bottom line is if you are out alone and end up in the water and can’t reach the boat someone will find your body, IF you got a life jacket on.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mud wrote: All we had were a couple of kayaks!

bow bow bow bow

Bottom line is if you are out alone and end up in the water and can’t reach the boat someone will find your body, IF you got a life jacket on.

Yeah, if you don’t think your own life is worth it, or worth it to your loved ones…think of the people that will be wasting their time using sonar to find your body. Well, at least they’re getting paid.

Makes perfect sense.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You couldn’t pay me a million dollars to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. I used to drive a wrecker in highschool, and learned they’re called Organ Donors for a reason.

I only rode for a few years but never wore a helmet, neither has my old man for 60 plus years of riding. Thought process was if I crash that bad I did not want someone wiping my ass for me and would rather be a donor. As for as life jackets go I am slowly trying to get better about wearing them myself, if anything Umy your story about coming around a point and wanting one on and not being able to do anything about it hits a little bit home.

Mud I am glad you guys did what was needed and saved that man so he can be with his family. You sir are a hero even though you say your not.

Glenn don’t feel attacked the life jacket crowd here is strong and it should be, a couple old dummies like ourselves need the coaxing, were not getting any younger and should try and get used to it I guess.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Thought process was if I crash that bad I did not want someone wiping my ass for me and would rather be a donor.

The Bell Helmet Company did a study in the early 70’s. End of story was that if you “crashed” at a speed at 30 mph or more, a helmet wouldn’t do any good. Note: crashed is not laying your bike down and skidding along the road. Tumbling was not factored into this report.

The USCG and MN does a study on drownings each year. End of those reports indicate that a person will have a much better chance of surviving with a PFD on.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Bottom line here is that PFDs are not required to be worn under state law, and neither are motorcycle helmets, in certain states.

Data clearly shows that your chances of survival when wearing both goes up significantly. If you choose to ignore that data for whatever reason, so be it. No one can make you wear them. I respect your individual right to make that personal choice, even if I don’t agree with it. For a long time, seat belts weren’t required either. Until a change is made in state law, a certain demographic of participants will never wear them. You could live your entire life without them and never need either one. Lots of people do that. But the risk is always there, and the one time an accident occurs, it might kill you because you made a poor decision.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

While boating incidents seems to strike a nerve here, the statistics are incredibly minimal. Especially in comparison to automobile or COVID mrgreen

You do you

FryDog62

I made a promise to my FW I would wear an inflatable life jacket whenever I fish alone. I should when I’m with someone else too…

I landed and loaded my boat a few weeks ago with my jacket still on even as I pulled the boat out to the tie down area. A guy asked me if I had my Barbie pole too…

The stigma is there, but I do believe its changing ~

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.