Leech lake camping 2017.

• Jonesy

I always fish leech lake in the fall but I was thinking of doing a trip up there shortly after opener next year. I want to tent camp.

I know there is the stony point campground and the campground near federal dam. Anybody have any experience with either of them?

I would most likely be doing a trip during the work week to hopefully avoid the weekend rush.

Things it must have:
    1. Electricity on site.

Things I want:
    1. Fish cleaning house
    2. Showers
    3. Dock for boat (or launch at campground)
    4. Water at site.

Just looking at things It seems like Stony Point might be my best bet but looking for other input or areas I am overlooking.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Check with the resorts. Many have a few sites.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The Federal dam is a real slick spot from the looks. We went through it and fished out of last week, and first it’d be a great spot for early bite. And the whole campground looks to be newer. Real nice fish clean shack, shuttleboard, vball,spot for kiddos, etc. Worth a look.

I think most just shored their boat in the lil harbor right by launch. Spoke with several people around there and noone has had issues with the “locals”.

Northeast MPLS

Stoney point is great! Centrally located, both fishing spots and to Walker if you need provisions of some sort.

The campground has 2 small protected harbors and all of the amenities you stated.

I was just there 2 weeks ago, and have stayed there countless times in the past. I’d recommend reserving a campsite in advance.

Both Places are good areas to camp. I know the federal dam campground is a little bigger since it is a corps of engineers and the other is a USFS campground. Federal dam area for opener is always good fishing close up there, but the stony point campground is more centrally located. Make sure you reserve in advance they fill up quickly on opener.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

We just came back from Moonlight Bay Resort.on the west side, and it was a nice place. The campsite that we had for our 5th wheel was a nice cement slab, the owners were nice and made sure we did not damage our truck going into the site, it was kinda steep, to they got the skidder and pulled it in for us. They are working on getting covers for all of their boat slips, covers were on backorder. They have a landing right at the resort and your in a protected bay so launching and loaded is a breeze.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.