Lawyer

• Deuces

Had a hit and run happen to my daughter and myself this am. Everyone’s ok but car could be better. Uninsured motorist most likely.

Looking for recommendation on a lawyer to contact in regards to this situation in the twin cities area, west metro would be great. Thanks.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

“Uninsured most likely”? What gives you that impression? Was a accident report done, cops on site?

When that happened to my kid 20 years ago it just took a letter from our local attorney. Be sure you don’t sign off on anything with your insurance company.

Minnesota is a no fault state so you will be covered regardless.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

If you don’t have any plates good luck that is what your uninsured underinsured part of your policy is for. even when we had plates nothing was done by the police on a hit and run a few years back. I don’t see a need fo ra lawyer in your situation unless your insurance company gives you issues if you have comp.

Ice Cap

Let the insurance company deal with it. I had a guy hit and run my trailer smoker and my side by side a couple years ago. They were both parked in front of my garage and no one was home. He then continued about 20 yards into the woods where he hit a tree and then fled the scene.

Cops showed up and knew who it was from his plate #. Cops told me just to call my insurance. Long story short everything worked out with minimal input from me.

Deuces

If you don’t have any plates good luck that is what your uninsured underinsured part of your policy is for. even when we had plates nothing was done by the police on a hit and run a few years back. I don’t see a need fo ra lawyer in your situation unless your insurance company gives you issues if you have comp.

Got the plates, chased the b!tch down to and if the cops hadn’t told me to stop pursuit I would’ve followed her into work. Most likely drunk the way she was driving.

Thanks for replies. Not sure to fully trust the insurance company though…

CaptainMusky

Insurance companies deal with this all the time. If you have the plates, contact the police and they should be able to get info that you could provide the insurance company.
    My wife was hit by an uninsured motorist with a suspended license who was also under the influence. In the end our insurance paid everything and the insurance company went after her and issued a warrant, but I am not sure if they ever caught up with her.
    The frustrating part for us our vehicle was totaled which we bought new and was paid off. It resulted in a spiral of poor vehicles since then with costly repairs. So that sucked.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

If the driver was uninsured, it will be difficult to get an attorney to take the case. They work for their 50% of the settlement. 50% of nothing is nothing.

The one time that I hired an attorney to help get back something that was mine they took several thousand dollars from me to later tell me that they couldn’t get blood out of a turnip.

Good luck and glad no one was hurt.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I was hit by an uninsured motorist a few years ago in a very minor accident. Here’s what I remember.

1. Car pulled out in front of me, hit me, we both stopped and got out. Police officer happened to drive by about 10 seconds later, I flagged him over. He spoke to each of us. We showed him insurance, he gave us copies of each others. Wrote up accident report. Went on our ways.
    2. I went to local body shop to get an estimate on the damages, nothing major but 3 different body parts had minor scratches or paint damages. I think it was about $750 estimate.
    3. Called their insurance company, they said their policy expired a few months before that and they were no longer with them.
    4. Called the PD, they said they were aware they provided faulty insurance. They could/did write them a ticket for it. Not much I could do on my end as far as with the police.
    5. Called my insurance company, the damages were under my deductible and really not that bad – but enough that I wanted something fixed that I never broke. Did not submit it to my insurance because it was so low.
    6. Called the person that hit me, found out very quickly on the phone that they were people who know how to play the game. They basically said that I was at fault, they will be suing me for the damages to their vehicle, bodies, and mental stress from the accident. I said the police report indicated they were at fault, and they admitted fault in it. They said the (caucasion) police officer made them (non-Caucasian) feel intimidated to admit fault. They said a lot of other things as well…
    7. That’s where it ended for me. It was too low of cost of damages to submit to insurance. Too low of cost to take it to court vs lawyer cost. They probably didn’t have a source of income if I were to have looked into some wage garnishment or something, if the damages did cost more.

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

We just went through this. My wife and I had our Silverado rear ended at highway speeds in a hit and run that ultimately led to the uninsured motorist being caught. The truck was totaled in the accident but fortunately, we escaped with relatively minor injuries. We were very nervous about how this would all go down. During our discussions with our insurance company (Traveler’s Insurance), they explained that first and foremost, we would be taken care of. They would take care of the damages and then they would go after the uninsured motorist to recover the costs…including our deductible. I am sure that they will be tied up in the process of recovering their money, but true to their word, we were taken care of.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Here’s what I remember.

Pretty much the same thing here. Cost / recovery numbers were not there. Don’t care to deal with broke idiots.

-J.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

IMO a lawyer does nothing but cost you money unless you are suing for items beyond the physical damage. Give the info to your insurance company and let them deal with it, that’s what you are already paying them for. They will get all your stuff fixed then go after the other driver to recover their cost.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’d love to hear from our friends in law enforcement, what % of vehicles pulled over in MN are found to have no insurance?

It seems like this happens a LOT. I would think in this day/age the state could do more and get tougher with uninsured motorists.

Grouse

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mnrabbit wrote:</div>
    Here’s what I remember.

Pretty much the same thing here. Cost / recovery numbers were not there. Don’t care to deal with broke idiots.

-J.

I fear the same here. It was my daughter’s car I got for couple K, the numbers might not work out. Front left panel then the back left panel. Guess we will have to see what the adjuster comes up with.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Sorry to hear that Beads!!! If the other party has insurance their insurance should take care of it. If they don’t and you have full coverage you can let your insurance take care of it. If you have just liability and the other party doesn’t have insurance you will have to handle through small claims court, at your expense until you get a verdict in your favor. Then good luck collecting!

pass0047
    Pool4

The car I had in school was totaled while parked in st paul. I only had liability insurance sto nothing from my insurance. However driver broke police officers glasses and judge made driver pay me as part of his probation. 2500 paid off in incraments of25 to $50 over many years.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Sorry to hear that Beads!!! If the other party has insurance their insurance should take care of it. If they don’t and you have full coverage you can let your insurance take care of it. If you have just liability and the other party doesn’t have insurance you will have to handle through small claims court, at your expense until you get a verdict in your favor. Then good luck collecting!

this is the answer, sorry there isn’t a better one but this is it.

Back in college had liability only, uninsured motorist, their fault in an at fault state(N.D.). End result, I got nada, zip, nothing. All a lawyer would have done is added to my losses.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’d love to hear from our friends in law enforcement, what % of vehicles pulled over in MN are found to have no insurance?

It seems like this happens a LOT. I would think in this day/age the state could do more and get tougher with uninsured motorists.

Grouse

I believe it’s 1 in 4…at least that’s what the insurance lady told me once.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

The uninsured motorist law is a real kick in the nuts. Had a car parked in the lot of a local tire/brake company for service. (Parked in their lot while I was at work.) One of their uninsured customers backed into our car. Yep, 50% my fault. I asked one of my lawyer friends what it may take to sue the auto shop to recover the 50% dectuctable….. Not worth the time.

Not even in the car. If I did make the claim, I have a crash on my insurance record. Uggg.

-J.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

We had a car parked on the curb in front of our house and had a drunk pile into it, then drive off. When we woke the next morning and found the car part way up on the curb I pretty much knew what happened and called the cops. While I was looking at the carnage to our car waiting on the cops I found the dinks license plate under the car. When the cop got there he asked if I witnessed this and he said that hit and runs like that were hard to prove. I asked him if the license plate would help and he broke into a big grin. He did his paper work on the site, then set off to locate our drunk. They found him in a motel with the car parked at the then KMart lot. When the cop went to the motel to roust the idiot he said he smelled like a distillery so he did the breathilizer thing and at 11 AM he blew a .23 yet. He must have been something when he hit our car. Insurance took care of everything, no questions asked. American Family at that time.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

FWIW No Fault (PIP) and UW (Uninsured and Underinsured) coverage only applies to medical damages. If there were no medical damages this claim would only focus on the property damages, and my previous post covers how that would be handled.

Deuces

Kid went home sick, then to doc. Whiplash and muscle spasms. Ive been fighting a headache all day, but got 2 jobs that can’t move this week so getting er done.

Adjuster made it seem like we have coverage, with no insurance on their end.

Sure glad I got those plates.

Hopefully it turns out, thanks for all the help as always fellas. Too bad so many people have to go thru this $hit.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

How are people getting around the newer system of having to input your insurance policy number when renewing tabs online? Is it something they don’t actually check on if you do it online?

blackbay
    mn

Same song different verse for me. Got rear ended by a woman, I called the cops, we exchanged insurance, cop comes over and says she has no license. Woman gets tickets for no license and driving carelessly. Turns out she didn’t have insurance either. I ended up getting my vehicle repaired under my insurance. My only satisfaction came from knowing she got the tickets and most likely had her license revoked.

As far as how these people get around the system, they either have someone else listed as the owner, or they by used cars with tabs that expire as far in the future as possible. That’s assuming they even worry about it.

Deleted

Only thing lower than whale shite at the bottom of the ocean floor – lawyers! Only thing lower than lawyers – judges ! Good luck.

Watch cops or LivePD nowadays and you’ll notice that roughly 5% of folks who are pulled over for this tv show have no license, therefor no insurance.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Only thing lower than whale shite at the bottom of the ocean floor – lawyers! Only thing lower than lawyers – judges ! Good luck.

Most people who have faced one agree.
    Most people who needed one disagree.

Deleted

Rather let Ilhan Omar watch my grandkids than put my life in the hands of such filth. Related to a retired judge and I’ve never been in trouble. I “needed one” but
    each day I regret ever trusting such a scumbag.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

This is what I’ve always heard:
    2% of all lawyers give the rest of them a good name! whistling

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

How are people getting around the newer system of having to input your insurance policy number when renewing tabs online? Is it something they don’t actually check on if you do it online?

At the DMV I just write “USAA and my policy #”. They never check to see if it is active before sending me on my way.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.