Late Summer/Early Fall Magdraft/Big Swimbait Tips and Setup

• mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Frydog’s little educational segments in the “what’s working” thread got me thinking about what I’ve been using lately that’s actually been working. Unfortunately it hasn’t been much, but the one thing that has, is the Magdraft. A condensed version of this video is up on Virtual Angling as well. Goes over everything from what gear I’m using to where to throw it. Hope people get something out of it.

FryDog62

Nice vid Pete… couple questions:

•Would 17 lb fluoro on a Fast action Heavy rod work as well? A little stiffer rod, but more forgiving line?

•No doubt the Magdraft has a strong following, just wondering if you’ve tried any less expensive options with similar results?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think it would be ok. The hookup ratio on those Magdraft Freestyles isn’t great, but it’s so much more weedless than the regular prerigged model with the treble. The fish don’t often get it on the first hit so having that softer rod in my opinion helps them hold on or get a little longer shot at it.

I have used the 5.75 Rage Swimmers and the Keitech larger swimbaits, and some hard swimbaits, but nothing I’ve used in that regard has the calling power that these seem to have. I’ve fished the perimeters of docks with them and done well getting fish to swim out from under the dock to hit it. I think it has a slower paddletail action causing it to displace more water than most similar swimbaits.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.