Late Opener?

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Why is MN opener so late this year? May 15?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I could have sworn I saw it was on May 8.

Mothers Day is May 9 and I thought that was always the same weekend.

Memorial Day isn’t until May 31 and opener is usually 2 weekends before that, which would be May 15.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

This is excellent. Dumbest thing ever that opener almost always falls on Mother’s Day.

JasonP
    Twin Cities

Why is MN opener so late this year? May 15?

Coronavirus. The fish need extra time due to the constraints on supply-chains.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

Opener on Mothers Day is coincidence.

Opener is 2 Saturdays before the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend.

CaptainMusky

This is excellent. Dumbest thing ever that opener almost always falls on Mother’s Day.

Opener falls on Saturday, Mother’s Day is Sunday. -)

bigpike

Wisconsin is May 1st. Please be advised due to Corona virus you must stay in your own state

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Nice try Bigpike, don’t worry I actually have never fished in your state. I’m not into bullheads. jester

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I could have sworn I saw it was on May 8.

Mothers Day is May 9 and I thought that was always the same weekend.

Memorial Day isn’t until May 31 and opener is usually 2 weekends before that, which would be May 15.

It is May 15th (see below), but there were some wrong Google results from previous years when I was looking it up. And Mothers Day is the 9th, so it’s one of the rare years when they are separate weekends.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/events/event.html?id=63174

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Guaranteed we will have an early and warm spring now. Folks will be bouncing off the walls!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Oh well, just gives me an extra week to steal some eyes from the cheeseheads

That’d be Cheesehead on Cheesehead crime tho, soooooooo I approve! chased jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Meh, opener can be whatever weekend. I prefer to stay away from the zoo and amateur hour.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I love fishing the st croix legally in mn on the wi opener. We always do pretty well. And I get 2 weeks of warm up before our opener.

CaptainMusky

Meh, opener can be whatever weekend. I prefer to stay away from the zoo and amateur hour.

I agree, I used to be a loyal opener fisher and now I am just tired of it. Accesses are a crapshow with people who cannot back their boat in, are next to launch and THEN decide to take cover off and load all gear including batteries into the boat, etc etc. Its a nightmare. I havent gone on opener in like 5 years and dont miss it.

munchy
    NULL

Guaranteed we will have an early and warm spring now. Folks will be bouncing off the walls!

Should we start a countdown to “DNR should move opener up because of the warm weather” posts?

The SCRATCHER
    spring valley mn

I thought opener was 1st weekend in March? Oh wait that’s when the SCRATCHER hits p4

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I love fishing the st croix legally in mn on the wi opener. We always do pretty well. And I get 2 weeks of warm up before our opener.

Which section of the river do you usually fish?

bigpike

Nice try Bigpike, don’t worry I actually have never fished in your state. I’m not into bullheads. jester

Just so you know the bullhead limit is only 15

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

My birthday is the 11th of may and my girlfriends is the 13th. We both love fishing so that timing is about as good as it gets.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

I agree, I used to be a loyal opener fisher and now I am just tired of it. Accesses are a crapshow with people who cannot back their boat in, are next to launch and THEN decide to take cover off and load all gear including batteries into the boat, etc etc. Its a nightmare. I havent gone on opener in like 5 years and dont miss it.

This isn’t so much about opener weekend, as I stay clear of the crowds as well. It is not about Sunday through Tuesday after opener. It’s just another week later. It sucks. I’m not a river fisherman. Maybe I’ll have to go crowd that.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>glenn57 wrote:</div>

I agree and when you get a nice calm sunny day it’s even worse. A windy cloudy day keeps quite a bit of the casual anglers off the water though.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

Which section of the river do you usually fish?

Marine on st croix and North

Brad Dimond

May 15th is around average for opener, this year Mother’s Day is early. I fish opener but rather than chasing walleyes we’re working on panfish. Usually do very well and away from the madness on the main lake.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

May 15th is around average for opener, this year Mother’s Day is early. I fish opener but rather than chasing walleyes we’re working on panfish. Usually do very well and away from the madness on the main lake.

Uhhhh….false.

blackbay
    mn

Just another weekend of crappie fishing before amateur hour. -)

Matthew Sandys

Just another weekend of crappie fishing before amateur hour. -)

I wish there was a like button for this comment.
    I always wanted to get a lawn chair and sit at a busy landing and watch the show.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DeRangedFishinguy wrote:</div>

Should we start a countdown to “DNR should move opener up because of the warm weather” posts?

For sure! Or the posts about open C&R year round, and a dedicated harvest season (which I support).

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

AND the FW’s birthday.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I thought opener was 1st weekend in March? Oh wait that’s when the SCRATCHER hits p4

The Walleye opener is when the River Rats get their river back. )

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.