Last ice trip of the season!

• Bryan Myers

I had a free day yesterday so I figured the best thing to do was to spend one more day on the ice in west central Wisconsin. Well I put more miles on than I thought I would and saw a lot more open water than expected, but after checking 5 or 6 different lakes and wishing I had the boat instead of the Otter I found some good ice.

As I was walking out I decided I would just take the spud bar and open up a few holes that weren’t that old. Well I got one open just enough for the spud bar to slip out of my hand and head straight to the bottom. However a spud bar stuck in the mud did not keep the fish away. After losing the spud I was glad I decided to bring the Strikemaster out with me, cause it got some work. It didn’t take long to locate big schools of mixed gills and crappies and they were everything you picture late ice fish to be. Schooled up thick and willing to eat, the only problem was that I was fishing a body of water where catching big panfish is easier said than done sometimes and yesturday they were all small. But I had a blast for my last day on the ice for the season and can officially put my ice gear away.

Attachments:
    1. image85.jpg

2. image84.jpg

3. image83.jpg

4. image82.jpg

5. image81.jpg

Brett Erickson
    Maple Grove,MN

Sorry about the spud!! Im sure by now the number of spud bars on the bottom of Mn lakes is pretty staggering haha! The end of ice is bitter sweet, but the open water is calling now!!

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

It’s amazing how easy it is to send a spud to the bottom.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.