Larson FX Boats – Opinions?

• toddrun

Somehow this got posted in an odd forum and not the General Discussion forum, so no replies, so reposting in the General so hopefully get some input.

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2013 Larson FX1750DC with low hours. I have looked at Larson’s at boat shows, and I like how they are laid out, and I believe they are decent low end glass boats. But I have no practical experience, have not been in one on water, and have not met anyone that has and asked them any questions, so I thought I would inquire here.

Any pro’s or con’s from actual owners, or those with experience in these boats? Anything to look for on the boat, motor or trailer that were known issues?

I was looking to upgrade to a larger aluminum boat, I am an Alumacraft guy, but I understand that glass boats are much nicer on the water than tin. From reading, it sounds like Larson did some kind of design change in the 2014-2015 years, something like placing the console location in the boat, either forward or backward don’t know which, or why, if anyone knows. I know they have a lifetime hull warranty, but still like to hear if they have cracking issues, or any other issues. I have heard they are HEAVY too, but that does not bother me too much, not a speed guy, but I understand they can be under powered then. This one has a 115 Mercury 4-stroke, which I think is only adequate, but should be OK.

Any information anyone wants to share would be greatly appreciated.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I wonder if this is the same boat I looked at this last spring? they are pretty rare to find for sale and this one was in Hudson Wisconsin I think? great looking boat aside from some dock rash on one side. had lowrance units and a motorguide bow mount. personally, I think it is underpowered with a 115 for how heavy it is and with a couple guys with gear, it would take a while to get on plane. did this boat have a 4 blade prop?

toddrun

I don’t think it is the same boat you looked at eyeguy. This one has one Lowrance unit at the console and Minnkota. This boat has less than 50 hours on it, and looks brand new, no dock rash, scratches or cracks. I believe it is a 3 blade stainless prop, with the hydro fins.

I don’t have a need for speed, as long as it doesn’t struggle to get on plane. I have read a lot of reviews, forum posts, and other, that say the 115 is capable, just don’t expect a speed demon, and I am fine with that. No water sports, just fishing, and usually only 2 guys.

Just not much information on these boats that I can find, as far as issues to look for, known problems. That is either good, or bad, haven’t determined yet. The issues I have heard of for that year and model is that the cockpit drain holes in the back are too small and could plug, but can be replaced easily with a newer model year drain plug. And, some battery departments did not have a drain hole and could get standing water in them, easily fixed with a drill. That is all I have heard.

mojogunter

I don’t have one, and have never been in one. I have a friend’s brother that has a 20′ that he likes. I know I looked at them several years ago at the sport show and the salesman said that they were heavy and to be sure to rig it with the max HP motor. Take that how you want, and that he really tried to steer me to a yarcraft instead.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

He may have been steering you away from Larson because the factory support was not so good and or was declining. Larson is now owned by Polaris so it will have more stable factory backing now.

toddrun

Good info, I knew Larson had been purchased by Polaris, and I view that as a good thing, although other than the lifetime hull warranty, not sure that applies to this old of a boat.

I realize that Larson is not on the level of YarCraft, Ranger, Triton, ect…, but it is also not in the same price range. The deal on this boat is less than an equivalent aluminum boat, so comparing to that, I think it is a good deal. Basically, it is half the price of equivalent 2013 Ranger Anglers I can find for sale. But I am looking for more information on longevity, hulls standing up, hardware standing up, etc… Cuz I know, “You get what your pay for”.

Dan Baker

I have a friend who guides out of a 20 ft Larson tiller. It has 150 Mercury. It runs at about 40mph. Maybe a bit underpowered, but it gets on plane no problem. He’s on the water close to 200 days a year with it for the last 5 years and it still looks brand new. He takes good care of it too. IT’s very comfortable to fish out of and the ride is great, especially on harsh Minnetonka where he guides.
    Dan

toddrun

Thanks Dan, that is great information.

I think 150hp on a 20′ tiller is still better powered than a 115hp on a 17.5′ dual council, but I still think it is likely serviceable.

Thats the problem with buying a boat in February in the midwest, right? No water time.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Take it to the river for a water test.

toddrun

I though about the river, but how do you guys winterize them afterwards, I don’t have a heated garage. I am afraid it may freeze on me. I know they say to run the motor up and down, get it as vertical as possible to drain, but I am still wary of it holding water in the heads or somewhere and freezing hard.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Outboards drain themselves when in the full verticle position. Pull it out of the water, tip the motor down to drain it, done. Tip back up and drive away.

John Knopf

I believe that my buddy has that same boat and it is a great boat. His has a Suzuki 140 horse engine, so not sure about the 115.

Rides really nice and has handled some big waves on both Pepin and Mille Lacs.

He has been very happy with it.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You will always find guys on both sides of the fence when discussing boats. Read the responses and go look at the boat. Check out the things mentioned and decide if it effects your decision. #1 thing it needs to answer is does it fish the way you like to fish.

Your money, your choice.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

X2 on what Dutchy said.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Thanks Dan, that is great information.

I think 150hp on a 20′ tiller is still better powered than a 115hp on a 17.5′ dual council, but I still think it is likely serviceable.

Thats the problem with buying a boat in February in the midwest, right? No water time.

All fiberglass boats are not the same. For example I ran a Skeeter 20′ tiller with a 115 hp Yamaha. While I would have liked more horsepower the 115 handled the boat fine and was also the max HP allowed by the coast guard. By contrast I currently run a 20′ Lund fiberglass tiller with a 200 hp Mercury. On this boat I would not want less horsepower.

You need your butt in the seat and to drive the boat before you will know.

queenswake
    NULL

I think they are a great option for guys who want to get into glass at a cheaper price. I hope Polaris puts more money into this line, but without raising prices too much.

I’ve also heard that the bows can take on water, which I can see because of how high they are.

toddrun

Thanks for all the input guys. I made a long trip to look at the boat, and it followed me home. The guy only filled the gas tank up once, ever, less than 50 hours total on that motor. So other than a coat of dust, he drove it down a gravel road to the local lake, uncovered, so it needs some cleaning. It looked every bit as a new boat. Big motor fired right off, idled nicely. 9″ Lowrance with chip. He replaced the trolling motor, had an Ulterra that he wanted to keep, so he put a brand new Powerdrive with iPilot on it, never been used. 4 seats plus a butt seat. 6 rod holders on custom tracking. Cover was on the boat when he brought it home, took it off and put it on a shelf, never used again. Bimini top, new, never used. And research of this boat shows the local prices for similar boat in this area were $6,000 to $8,000 dollars higher than I paid. So, couldn’t pass it up, figured if I don’t like it at this point, I can detail it and sell it for a profit. Don’t think that will happen though, it is a nicely laid out boat for how I like to fish.

I will definitely put it to good use.

reddog

Pictures, or it didnt happen.. ) Sounds like a great deal on a nice ride!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

if its too good to be true, it likely is. both used boats I have bought, the seller’s have been less than truthful on multiple issues so good luck. unless it’s brand new, you will find it sooner than later. How much did you pay if you don’t mind me asking?

toddrun

Here is a pic of the boat, didn’t take the time to take too many pics.

Attachments:
    1. FX1750DC.jpg

reddog

Nice, Keep the nose up in the wind and you’ll be fine. Only complaint from a friend of mine that has one, is when fishing up front, its susceptible to taking some water over the bow in some wind.

toddrun

Good to know. My son usually fishes the front at 165 pounds and I fish the back at WELL OVER 165 pounds, ha, that should help.

Deuces

Nice, Keep the nose up in the wind and you’ll be fine. Only complaint from a friend of mine that has one, is when fishing up front, its susceptible to taking some water over the bow in some wind.

To be fair how many 17′ boats won’t take a lil water in those situations?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>reddog wrote:</div>

To be fair how many 17′ boats won’t take a lil water in those situations?

This is true for most boats. Given the right circumstance you will likely get wet every once in awhile. Took a couple barge rollers over the nose of the ranger this summer. It’s usually more the fault of the driver than the wave….

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Friendly advice since you have the 115 on it is to make sure you are getting max rpms or close. I would assume it is propped to do so, but that would be 1st on my checklist.

toddrun

Thanks Dean, I agree. I have dealt with under powered boats before, and know all the tricks to help out. The previous owner said it was not an issue at all, but he fished alone most of the time, and it already has a high end stainless prop and hydrofoil on it, so I know he went through the process of trying to help it out. I don’t need a speed demon boat by any means, but don’t want one that struggles to get on plane either. I think it will be OK, from talking to Larson dealers, the 115hp is sold on over 75% of this model boat, and I realize that is affected by price point too, but there would be a lot of disgruntled owners if it was a major issue.

sktrwx2200

So they guy bought the boat new, didn’t even use 1 tank of fuel…. Decided he didn’t like the boat, But he liked the ulterra enough to take it off to go on his next boat? Decided to take a $10,000 bath on it?

He must have really hated that boat or something was really wrong with it.
    I hope everything is on the up and up, but that sounds strange to me.

Most likely nothing mechanical or structural because all that likely would still be under warranty although Im not familiar with larson’s warranty.
    Probably took his family out and realized that he couldn’t get out of the hole by mistakenly trying to save a little cash and get a 115 instead of maxing out the HP of that hull. Maybe he got frustrated enough to take the loss and start over?

toddrun

Yeah, I have my own questions about the price myself, but the story we got was – he is an older bachelor, fished by himself and was near a very popular, very busy reservoir, and when loading and unloading by himself he would get mad comments from others at the launch that he was taking too long. That is why he put the Drotto and the step assist off the tongue, to try and speed up his launch time. Over the past 2 years he has been fishing with a friend the has a bigger, nicer boat, and with the 2 of them is works better at the launch, so this guy decided it wasn’t worth the hassle anymore to own his own boat. My guess is that he took the Ulterra off and gave it to his buddy, or, maybe he is looking at upgrading to a different boat, I don’t really know. He seemed very honest, and everything was exactly as he explained it, so I have no reason to not believe him at this point.

Boat launch etiquette – wrecked another guys experience, if this is true….sad.

In the end, I made the decision, I will live with the benefit or consequences.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nobody needs to justify anything to anybody. Not the buyer or seller. A boat was for sale, the why or how come doesn’t really matter.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Enjoy the boat! Looks like a nice rig.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.