Lacrosse vs Muck

NULL

Looking to get some knee high boots. Like some 18″ tall. Obviously considering these two brands. Looking for something for working and fishing in sloppy conditions from 20-60 degrees. Alphaburly pro? Wetlands? So many styles i cant decide. My feet sweat a lot and i have baffins for super cold conditions. Please help!

Mikkel Broas

I have Alphaburly Pros and I love them. They can be a bit tough to get on if they are cold, but once they are on, they stay on. They keep my feet warm when sitting in a tree-stand or while working around my BILs farm. I have big legs and they were the only style that fit my calves without pushing down or cutting off circulation. Mine are the 400 Thinsulate as well.

shefland
    Walker

I Have muck boots, arctic pro, warm and dry, but try taking them off, just like a laurel and hardy movie, someone else has to grab them and pull, just purchased some king of gizmo where the heel slips into it and you step on the other end to get boots off, haven’t tried it yet

B-man

No rubber boot is breathable.

To help with sweating, rub unscented stick antiperspirant on your feet the night before waytogo

It can help quite a bit.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I have the lacrosses. They leak. Others that I know who’ve had them 4years or so theirs leak also. Appears it’s the seems around the upper foot ankle area that it leaks.

I have not used mucks and can’t give any advice but I will be trying them next.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I have the arctic pros. Do not get a camo pair if you have OCD as the camo will rub off over time. Other than that, they are very very warm. I would also recommend a half or whole size larger as it allows for breathability.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I have the lacrosses. They leak. Others that I know who’ve had them 4years or so theirs leak also. Appears it’s the seems around the upper foot ankle area that it leaks.

I have not used mucks and can’t give any advice but I will be trying them next.

Interesting, as I switched to the La Crosse Alpha Burlys this year because my Mucks didn’t hold up. The Mucks cracked and leaked and lost a lot of their rigidity in just a couple years. I’m pretty rough on my winter boots but after one year feel pretty confident that the La Crosse’s should last me 4-5 years without issue.

The Alpha Burlys might be too warm for the application you’re considering. I used mine ice fishing all year and my feet never got the slightest chill. My feet would roast in anything above freezing in them.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I have had great luck with much boots for the last 10 years. This will for sure be a ford vs chevy thread before long.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Looking for something for working and fishing in sloppy conditions from 20-60 degrees. Alphaburly pro? Wetlands? So many styles i cant decide. My feet sweat a lot and i have baffins for super cold conditions. Please help!

That’s a big ask as far as a temp range, 40 degrees is a big swing and if your sweating is an issue… Can’t see you being happy with any neoprene boot above 40 unless you have really cold feet all the time.

I like Muck boots, but for me it’s game over at 35 degrees for them. Anything with a neoprene lining is too hot for me above freezing, my feet are soaking from the inside out.

I LOVE Xtratuf boots, the classic unlined model for a warmer weather boot, anything above 30, but especially for late spring, summer, and fall. The classic unlined Xtratuf is sooooo cool and comfortable compared to other boots. The rubber compound they use is just so much more flexible and lightweight.

I also like the fit of Xtratufs, they fit like the LaCrosse Chief models with the contoured ankle. Yes, they are harder to get on/off, but the payback is less heel slippage and they don’t get sucked off your feet in really mucky conditions.

I really missed Xtratufs after my original pair wore out years ago. Nobody around here seems to carry them now, I think my old pair came from United Stores? Anyway, now the delightfully retro Nokomis Shoe in Minneapolis has them.

Grouse

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I have had great luck with much boots for the last 10 years. This will for sure be a ford vs chevy thread before long.

Same here with Mucks. Best upland/utility boot I’ve ever bought. I might be one of the few that had Danner pronghorns that throw them out and replaced them with mucks! This came during the 1st of a 5 day SD pheasant hunt.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I have a high instep. Any of the Muck models I tried all had the same problem: either I couldn’t get it on my foot, or once I had the boot on there was too much room around the edges. I ended up buying Alpha Burlys. Haven’t had them long enough to report on how well they hold up. But at least they fit.

S.R.

Aaron Kalberer

I have the Muck Wetlands, going on 3 years now. If I am active in the winter I have been comfortable in them down to -15 with wool socks on but I have to be active. I also wear them throughout the year. Between mid summer scouting for deer, stream fishing, hunting season, ice fishing, trapping and spring turkey season they are always being put on. Feet will sweat above 45 if pretty active but I guess I have never been bothered by it. By the looks of them this will be their last year of use but I guess that’s pretty good as shoes are typically worn out after a few years of use not including the abuse the mucks have gone through.

I am sure the Lacrosse boots are very good options as well but have never tried them.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Whatever you choose pick up a pair of thin moisture wicking “liner” socks.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Probably cant go wrong with either. However my experiences…

Had a pair of Lacrosses, can’t recall the exact model. They were ones probably made for the 30-60 degreeish temp range. Used them primarily for pheasant hunting sloughs and chores. They leaked after a year and really just kind of fell apart.

I have had Muck Arctic Pros for 4 years and Muck Chore Steel Toes for 2 years. They have both been great for me and I would recommend them. They have both been through a lot, the Chores are used almost year round by me, work, gardening, yard work, and lots of miles pheasant hunting. The Arctic Pros are used all winter long. The type of socks you wear can really affect how your feet sweat, and make sure your feet are not sweating before putting them on. Also, a boot dryer at the end of each day helps a lot. Thru a lot of use on both my Mucks, I cannot notice at all that they appear to be wearing down or close to leaking or anything.

As someone else mentioned above, the Mucks have nearly replaced my Danner Pronghorns when pheasant hunting now. I also haven’t had any problem with getting the Artic Pros off as someone mentioned above, simply step on the heel with one foot, and lift my foot out. Completely hands off operation, don’t even need to sit down or bend over.

PartyMax

Whatever you choose pick up a pair of thin moisture wicking “liner” socks.

^^^^^ this 100%

Trevor Hebel
    Roseau, MN

I’ve had the Muck Wetland series, they were good boots but not for winter use they just weren’t warm enough for long sits in the treestand IMO. If you are walking a lot their alright. The neoprene got torn up pretty bad after a couple seasons going through brush. I own a pair of Lacrosse Alphaburly Pro 1600 gram rubber boots, I got them last October and used them during rifle season, muzzleloader and all winter ice fishing. They held up great and >>WARM<< I think if I were to buy another pair again I might consider going up a full size larger. I’m a size 10 and there was room for a pair of thicker socks in them. I just think a little more room will help my feet breath better cause they sweat pretty bad and easier to get off.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Alphaburly have been the best boot I’ve used. Never had any leaking issues in the 5 or 6 sets of boots I’ve used over the last 20 plus years.
    I’m really rough on them so I have a set for turkey hunting without insulation.

Deer I have 1600 gram and use them into December.

A set for ice fishing that were old deer boots that I beat up on. My feet do not get cold in them at all ice fishing.The only reason I’ve had leaking I punctured from just from hunting conditions of stick puncturing through them.

Lefty76

I try on Mucks every few years when I’m in the market. They just don’t fit my foot well. Pain in the butt to get off, too. I must have odd sized feet? I’m the only guy in our ice fishing group that doesn’t wear Mucks. I’ve had excellent luck with LaCrosse Aeroheads. I’m on my second set in ten-ish years, with a third tucked away in the closet. When I bought my last pair they were clearanced, so I bought two.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.