Kirk Cousins

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    Why anybody would want to spend $27 million a year on this guy is beyond me

Supposedly the Jets offered him 5 years 150 million already. I agree it’s crazy, but that’s what the market is. The Bears paid Mike Glennon $15/year and he’s terrible. Cousins has proven to be a top 1/3rd QB at only 29 years old. And Keenum is supposedly going to get 20+ million, I loved Case this year but him and Cousins are no comparison imo.

I hope that’s the case since that would likely be considering illegal tampering with a contracted player and they would be fined/penalized.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>zooks wrote:</div>
    If they strike out on Cousins, I say they should go “cheap” and re-sign Teddy and/or go after someone like Tyrod Taylor.

Curious? I know nothing about taylor but if he is anything like Bridgwater that will kill any potential going into the playoffs past the first round and thats only if the defense stays together. Why go backwards?

Taylor is likely not the 2nd coming of Steve Young but he is nothing like Bridgewater. Bridgerwater is sort of like a pocket passer who happens to weigh 178lbs and is 6’0. Taylor can run better than most running backs in the NFL. Taylor primarily runs the read option which I think would work well with Cook. Also Taylor never turns the ball over. Like never. He also doesn’t read through his progressions well. As a cheap last ditch option we could do a lot worse IMO

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Before we go “all in” on a possible joe mauer type deal, maybe we see if Teddy is healthy and could be something great.

I saw plenty of his playing to realise he will be no better than Ponder or TJack. What makes one believe he has potential beyond what he has shown us. Awfully big gamble to waite and see from a guy that has shown he can not throw a long ball consistently with accuracy.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

For those of you that say Cousins is a gamble ill just say this about the NFL.

1) Everyone not named Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, or Brees at the QB position is a gamble. Even good QB’s like Big Ben, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford and Cam have their issues.

2) Unless you get lucky in the draft you will have to pay for a QB and even if you do get lucky in the draft that talented young QB will be looking for a record breaking extension in 3-4 years. So at best you get 3-4 years of cap relief from having a cheap QB to apply money to the rest of your team and create your perfect window.

Ill take the gamble with Cousins personally. If the Vikings weren’t so close to contention in other aspects of the team I might think it better we dedicate our money to other areas but our window is now and we are only a competent QB away

Dan
    Southeast MN

Unless you get lucky in the draft

And we’re seeing more and more that even with extensive scouting, some college QB’s don’t translate to the NFL, they end up in the wrong system, wrong coaches, etc. Whereas getting a decent QB like Cousins who’s already proven he can play well in the NFL is a step up from the top prospects who offer no better than a hope that they will play well. Even if Cousins doesn’t crack the top-10 NFL QB’s, he’s still a safer bet than any draft gamble.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

For those of you that say Cousins is a gamble ill just say this about the NFL.

1) Everyone not named Rodgers, Wilson, Brady, or Brees at the QB position is a gamble. Even good QB’s like Big Ben, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford and Cam have their issues.

2) Unless you get lucky in the draft you will have to pay for a QB and even if you do get lucky in the draft that talented young QB will be looking for a record breaking extension in 3-4 years. So at best you get 3-4 years of cap relief from having a cheap QB to apply money to the rest of your team and create your perfect window.

Ill take the gamble with Cousins personally. If the Vikings weren’t so close to contention in other aspects of the team I might think it better we dedicate our money to other areas but our window is now and we are only a competent QB away

You’re not seeing the “gamble” in the same sense I posted. I agree with taking a “gamble” on what Cousins will likely be and his skill set. The “gamble” I’m questioning is that by having Keenum walk, the Vikings are essentially putting all of their eggs in one basket that Cousins will sign with MN. If he signs elsewhere, then what? Go Google the top rated Free-Agent QBs. Garoppolo is locked-up long term, Brees isn’t going anywhere. That leaves Cousins, Bradford, and Teddy as the next best options. That’s a cliff of talent you’d be jumping off of if you missed out on Cousins.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

yes what you say is true bucky, if we strike out on cousins then we aren’t left a lot of good options, which is slightly worse than where we are now

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

As a die hard Redskins fan (spent the first 15 yrs of my life in DC) I have watched Cousins give the Redskins a chance to win over the last 3 years despite the fact they never gave him a quality receiver (Santana Moss/Deshaun Jackson?), always had a trash defense, and never had a solid O-line. What did Cousins do with that garbage? Break all the Redskins QB records. I know the Skins haven’t ever had a really great QB but honestly neither have the Vikings. I would love to see Cousins in purple because I believe he deserves it after having to suffer through the incompetency the Skins have displayed over his tenure there. If they can get him at decent rate (which might be tough) and keep the key parts of the defense I honestly think they might be Super Bowl favorites next year.

JoeMX1825
    MN

while paying 1 player 25-30 million a season just sounds crazy, it is what it is now in the NFL for a good QB. If they sign Cousins, at least we can put the annual Vikings starting QB controversy to bed for 5+ years… This team is built to win now, drafting a late round QB makes no sense, so the only alternative is FA and you’ll always pay more…

What I like about him is his heart, you know you’ll get his full effort every game…he can also take a hit and scramble for a 1st down when the play break s down, we all say how important that was with Keenum.

Regarding the gamble on him being available to sign, I’m sure the Vikings and Cousins have already had unofficial talks and got his word he’d sign when FA opens. It would be nice if we could resign Teddy to a backup contract (I think he’s nuts if he thinks he’s gonna get starter money with the ? still remaining on his knee…)

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Just wanted to bump this thread so you can read my Brees/Cousins comparison again,, in case you have doubts about our new SB winning QB. Just sayin’

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Just wanted to bump this thread so you can read my Brees/Cousins comparison again,, in case you have doubts about our new SB winning QB. Just sayin’

I’m on board with your opinion walleyebuster! I am super excited for the Kirk Cousins era in purple!! And do not understand/agree with any of the arguments against it.

Justin riegel

reports are cousins will sign a 3 year 86 million fully guaranteed contract with the vikes on thursday.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

$1.8 Million a game. That’s a good gig if you can get it!

-J.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Love this news. I know it’s not 100% official yet, but man it will be nice to watch a strong armed QB throwing to Diggs/Thielen this year!

Also a reminder that Jimmy Garoppolo signed a 5 year/$135MM contract($27.5MM/year), I know it’s not fully guaranteed, but still. He got 27.5 after performing well for 5 years, I’ll take Cousins at $28MM/year with 4 years of solid performance under his belt.

This has to make the NFC Central one of, if not the, best divisions for QBs in the league.

Now the Vikings hopefully have a few years before we need to worry about who’s under center. How nice is it to have a MN sports franchise go out and spend some money when the contention window is open?

It won’t be easy, our schedule this year is pretty brutal. We have New England, Philly, LA, and Seattle on the road, plus New Orleans at home. That’s 5 games that could go either way, plus the normal four games against GB and Detroit. I think we are a much more complete team than GB, but with a healthy Rodgers you can’t count them out. A really good team could easily lose 4 or 5 of those games, which means we’ll need to really make sure we win all the games we are favored in.

Man, the more I look at it, that’s just a meat grinder. If we make the playoffs, we’ll probably be looking at going through some combination of GB(for the third time), NO(for the 2nd), Philly(2nd), LA(2nd).

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Here’s all the Cousins haters need to know.

-if you switched the Skins defenses with the 16th ranked defenses over the last three years and took the numbers Cousins and the Skins offense put up, they would’ve won 13 games each of the last three seasons. That’s with no offensive line, below average receivers and a below average running game. Plug him into an offense with a line that is already MUCH better than he’s used to, 3 all star pass catchers and a top 3 defense? You’re crazy if you didn’t want him.

The cap is going to go up noticeably over the next 3 seasons as well and we will be able to resign whoever we need. If we can’t resign Barr big deal! What would you rather have: QB who is the only guy to throw for 4K yds, 25 TDs and a 90+ qbr the last 3 seasons or a mediocre LB who needs to be constantly motivated to put in a solid effort?

The Vikings haven’t had a QB they could rely on over multiple years since Fran T. Now they finally have one.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Don’t forget to put San Fran in that list. Vegas has them at 12-1 to make the Superbowl.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

It’s March and the purple cool-aid is flowing like the mighty Mississippi jester

JoeMX1825
    MN

It’s a good deal for both sides, Cousins gets great money (He could have got alot more elsewhere) Vikings get a top 10 QB for a 3 year Superbowl window before contracts to young stars will require a sort-of-reboot…

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

It’s March and the purple cool-aid is flowing like the mighty Mississippi jester

Well, the team that went 13-3 last year just got noticeably better at the most important position, so open up the locks and let the river flow!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Now the Vikings hopefully have a few years before we need to worry about who’s under center. How nice is it to have a MN sports franchise go out and spend some money when the contention window is open?
    It won’t be easy, our schedule this year is pretty brutal. We have New England, Philly, LA, and Seattle on the road, plus New Orleans at home. That’s 5 games that could go either way, plus the normal four games against GB and Detroit. I think we are a much more complete team than GB, but with a healthy Rodgers you can’t count them out. A really good team could easily lose 4 or 5 of those games, which means we’ll need to really make sure we win all the games we are favored in.

I agree it’s awesome to have a franchise QB! The schedule doesn’t really scare me, as Seattle’s Defense is in shambles and the NFL varies so much from year to year some of the supposed tough match ups won’t be. And it depends a lot on when you play teams too.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>philtickelson wrote:</div>

I agree it’s awesome to have a franchise QB! The schedule doesn’t really scare me, as Seattle’s Defense is in shambles and the NFL varies so much from year to year some of the supposed tough match ups won’t be. And it depends a lot on when you play teams too.

You’re right with Seattle, but they are just never easy to play at that stadium. I think it’s probably safe to say NE and Philly are going to be tough match-ups though. If we go 2-2 out of those 4 road games we’d be in great shape. I know we are getting ahead of ourselves here, but this is probably the first time I’ve been genuinely excited for a vikings season in a long time.

Setting myself up for massive disappointment earlier than ever before!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

This literally made me LOL. If there’s one thing we do best… jester jester jester

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

It could be worse… you could be a Packer fan and know you don’t have a chance devil

100% joking of course. I really enjoy the rivalry!

Xbomber8X
    Sartell, MN

Arizona is set to give Bradford $20 million on a one year contract!!! WTF! How is he even gonna pass a physical! This is getting insane lol

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Arizona is set to give Bradford $20 million on a one year contract!!! WTF! How is he even gonna pass a physical! This is getting insane lol

That’s the market for QBs. Mike Glennon got $18.5MM guaranteed for this last year. Garropolo got $27.5/year after starting 5 games in the NFL.

Someday people will realize that QBs are worth a lot of money and the only reason we haven’t seen a lot of these contracts in the past is because teams have locked up their franchise QBs to long term deals before they reached free agency.

Hold on to your butts when Wentz/Rodgers/Watson/Goff get extensions though, Cousin’s deal could look like a bargain.

It’s compounded for the QB position because there are only like 15 QBs would could realistically lead you deep into a playoff run(unless you have a completely stacked team otherwise).

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Hold on to your butts when Wentz/Rodgers/Watson/Goff get extensions though, Cousin’s deal could look like a bargain.

I think this is why it’s only a 3 year deal, he knows he will be able get a pay bump next go around almost regardless of performance.

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Arizona- Bradford
    NY Jets- Bridgewater
    Denver- Keenum

Who’s our back-up gonna be, Kyle Sloter?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Who’s our back-up gonna be, Kyle Sloter?

Maybe, but there’s lots of backup options, Josh McCown would be at the top of my list, or take your pick of the scrap heap Mike Glennon, Osweiler, Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Gabbert, Matt Moore etc

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I do like that!

Attachments:
    1. F14BC65B-BD07-4B85-A176-D230A00649FA.jpeg

queenswake
    NULL

This just makes me nervous. After living in DC for a long time, I have learned to be skeptical of signing ANY big name QB. Whenever there is this much hoopla around a QB signing, I get nervous. Everytime the Redskins have done it in the past 15 years, the QB has either immediately gotten injured or just completely tanked.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.