Kirk Cousins

• walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I did a little comparing of Brees and Cousins through the last 3 years Brees was with the Chargers and the past 3 years of Cousins with the Redskins. And yes, I know the NFL passes more but it’s not THAT much different from 2005 to now. At this point in their career Brees had 5 years in the league compared to Cousins’ 6th year in 2017. With what we are doing right now the signs do point at a run for Cousins, and I like that a lot. Win now while the window is open.

Brees:
    2003: Yards: 2,108
    TDs: 11
    INT: 15

2004: Yards: 3,159
    TDs: 27
    INT: 7

2005: Yards: 3,576
    TDs: 24
    INT: 15

Cousins:
    2015 Yards: 4,166
    TDs: 29
    INT: 11

2016 Yards: 4,917
    TDs: 25
    INT: 12

2017 Yards: 4,093
    TDs: 27
    INT: 13

http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats
    http://www.nfl.com/player/kirkcousins/2532820/careerstats

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Just out of interest, why are you only comparing Cousins to Brees?

FDR

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

FDR

Because Brees is pretty much the last bigtime free agent to hit the open market other than Peyton Manning at the end of his career. And Brees was in the league 5 years before becoming a free agent while Cousins is at 6 years. Very similar in age, type of team they started out with,, and Brees developed into a HOFer. Similarities I guess..

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

we are not going to franchise keenum and im ok with that. I sure hope we do get Cousins. He may not be Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady and he may come at too high of a price tag but who cares. Im tired of the QB carousel and with our defense we don’t need an Aaron Rodgers to win us games. Very encouraging news to me. Only team I am worried about snagging him away from us is Denver. Elway has a way of charming people it seems. If cousins is true to his word, that money isn’t what is most important, then the Jets shouldn’t be a bother. SKOL

zooks

I’d be all in on Cousins. I don’t believe he’s a top 4-5 QB but IMO it’s pretty clear he’s in the next tier and he can win a Super Bowl.

I’d pass on Keenum. He had a great year and I hope he gets paid but when I look at Case, I just remember that Matt Cassel made the Pro Bowl in KC when he was 28 and we all know how his career looked like after that.

If they strike out on Cousins, I say they should go “cheap” and re-sign Teddy and/or go after someone like Tyrod Taylor.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If they strike out on Cousins, I say they should go “cheap” and re-sign Teddy and/or go after someone like Tyrod Taylor.

perfect plan! I actually like a guy like Taylor on our team. Especially when you put him next to cook.

As an aside, do we need to put some sort of disclaimer on this thread to keep out the packers fans before they storm the door down and barge in? Its nice in here without the trolls…

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

I agree on the Case thing. Cook surely is an X-Factor for next year. Case could very well be a stud with Cook. I just want that long term possibility and I think Cousins brings the most power with that possibility. And really, we have the cap space right now so just do it. Yeah I know we might not be able to resign a couple of our guys on D next year or the year after but we all know the window only stays open for a few years at best. Unless, of course, you have a super stud QB then the window is always open coupled with a somewhat respectable defense.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’ve been advocating for Cousins for a long time, and hope Spielman closes the deal with him! Within reason of course. Supposedly Cousins is open to a short term deal, so he becomes free again while relatively young. Short term or long term, I hope the Vikings use the guarantee as leverage. Guarantee the whole contract, in lieu of a few million a year, thus giving Cousins the support he never got in DC and the Vikings the flexibility to keep a great team around him.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I agree with those of you being all for Cousins. Aside from Tarkenten and 2009 Favre, Cousins would be one of the best QB’s in franchise history (doesn’t say much). I’m 34 and pretty much my whole life the Vikes have had instability at the position. Yeah, it could fail, but I say go try it. I do like having ownership that will pursue interests like this. If the Wilfs ran the Twins they’d be in a much better spot too.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>francisco4 wrote:</div>

FDR

Because Brees is pretty much the last bigtime free agent to hit the open market other than Peyton Manning at the end of his career. And Brees was in the league 5 years before becoming a free agent while Cousins is at 6 years. Very similar in age, type of team they started out with,, and Brees developed into a HOFer. Similarities I guess..

Makes sense.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

With the exception of the Patriots and Brady what team with a elite quarterback makes and wins the play-offs time after time? Keenum and Foles prove you need a good offensive line, multiple good receivers and a running game. Throw in a good defense and you are where $27 million to by Cousins will take you. However, Cousins can’t get you anywhere without the other pieces.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Dutch I agree with your point for the most part, this year did kind of show that a really solid team outside of QB can do it, as evidenced by 3 of the remaining QB’s being Keenum, Foles, and Bortles.

The other QB I’d add to your list is Rodgers.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

With the exception of the Patriots and Brady what team with a elite quarterback makes and wins the play-offs time after time?

Here’s the last 15 SB winning QB’s: Foles, Brady, P Manning, Brady, Wilson, Flacco, E Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben, E Manning, P Manning, Big Ben, Brady, Brady.

I do agree about the rest of the team and you don’t need the best QB to win it all, but you do need consistent competent QB play to be in the race year in and year out.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

And Cousins hasn’t won anything. Why anybody would want to spend $27 million a year on this guy is beyond me. But, I really really don’t care who they sign.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Why anybody would want to spend $27 million a year on this guy is beyond me

Supposedly the Jets offered him 5 years 150 million already. I agree it’s crazy, but that’s what the market is. The Bears paid Mike Glennon $15/year and he’s terrible. Cousins has proven to be a top 1/3rd QB at only 29 years old. And Keenum is supposedly going to get 20+ million, I loved Case this year but him and Cousins are no comparison imo.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Curious? I know nothing about taylor but if he is anything like Bridgwater that will kill any potential going into the playoffs past the first round and thats only if the defense stays together. Why go backwards?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    Why anybody would want to spend $27 million a year on this guy is beyond me

Supposedly the Jets offered him 5 years 150 million already. I agree it’s crazy, but that’s what the market is. The Bears paid Mike Glennon $15/year and he’s terrible. Cousins has proven to be a top 1/3rd QB at only 29 years old. And Keenum is supposedly going to get 20+ million, I loved Case this year but him and Cousins are no comparison imo.

Jets are in a unique situation. The Patriots have slowly been falling off and with Brady’s age the Jets see themselves as possibly being a contender. They will over pay because…..well they are the Jets and do dumb stuff yearly. Taylor in Buffalo barely kept Petterman? on the bench so I don’t understand getting him. He is just another T-Jack.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

And Cousins hasn’t won anything. Why anybody would want to spend $27 million a year on this guy is beyond me. But, I really really don’t care who they sign.

This is true.. I guess that’s why I threw out the comparison to Brees in the early years. A comparison to what he has the potential to be with good players around him, like Brees.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I agree with Dutchboy (for once – LOL). I want nothing to do with Tyrod Taylor.

I like Cousins, but don’t think he offers much upside over Case just a higher price tag. Hard to even think about football right now. Still disgusted at how they crapped the bed in Philly. Both our O-Line and D-line got worked and momentum just turned the wrong way.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

IMO just about all NFL quarterbacks can play or they wouldn’t be in the NFL. It’s who you surround them with that matters and also finding a scheme they can operate and thrive in.

Tim Tebow and Matt Cassel led teams to the brink of Super Bowls.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

IMO just about all NFL quarterbacks can play or they wouldn’t be in the NFL. It’s who you surround them with that matters and also finding a scheme they can operate and thrive in.

And now I am back to disagreeing with you. I think it’s very obvious that you need above average QB and coach in the NFL to be a consistent winner.

walleyebuster5
    Central MN

Tim Tebow and Matt Cassel led teams to the brink of Super Bowls.

See Below:

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    With the exception of the Patriots and Brady what team with a elite quarterback makes and wins the play-offs time after time?

Here’s the last 15 SB winning QB’s: Foles, Brady, P Manning, Brady, Wilson, Flacco, E Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Big Ben, E Manning, P Manning, Big Ben, Brady, Brady.

I do agree about the rest of the team and you don’t need the best QB to win it all, but you do need consistent competent QB play to be in the race year in and year out.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>zooks wrote:</div>

Curious? I know nothing about taylor but if he is anything like Bridgwater that will kill any potential going into the playoffs past the first round and thats only if the defense stays together. Why go backwards?

Im just curious why after 1 1/2 years everyone is certain that teddy was junk. His only full season was 11-5, with a patched up running game, and not much for receivers. We did make the playoffs, and with a little help from ol Blair, who knows what could have happened.
    Before we go “all in” on a possible joe mauer type deal, maybe we see if Teddy is healthy and could be something great. If not, we have Case who, maybe isnt the future, but, with better understanding of the whole team, and a defense that would show up the last 3 games, COULD have taken us to the superbowl. Spending a huge chunk on Cousins is not a guarantee, which im sure everybody knows. I guess i was a Teddy fan and always wanted to see if he’d be great once he’d been running the show for a couple years. He never got the chance yet. Everyone who says he cant throw deep needs to watch more videos. He was never given the reigns by our OC. Maybe hes done after the knee injury, but i just dont have the feeling that Cousins is the answer. My 2 cents…

zooks

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>zooks wrote:</div>

Allocation of resources. IMO Cousins is by far the best available QB (Brees in staying in NO) and is worth the premium where I think everyone else is more or less fungible. Add that to the fact that they need at least one more OG and one more DT (2 of each would be better) plus a lot of current guys that need new contracts, the Vikes need to be smart about how they spend their money.

If you don’t spend $30M per on Cousins, IMO you might as well spend less on a QB ($10M-$12 per) and then beef up the OL and DL. I like Tyrod better than you guys but if you don’t get Cousins, who else do you want?

I think Keenum is gonna want more than $12M per year and that’s a hard pass for me. Tyrod got screwed in Buffalo the whole time he was there and I think they can be as good with him as they were with Keenum last year.

zooks

Oh, and I might be the biggest Teddy fan there is but there’s just so much that the public doesn’t know about how he can play and with a team that’s a legit contender for the next 3-4 years, I don’t know that they can withstand the risk. Just a shame he wrecked his knee.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I completely understand NOT tagging Keenum. Tagging him ties up a ton of money into a guy who is likely going to regress a bit this season. The “Sophomore Slump” of NFL QBs is less affiliated with it truly being someone’s second year in the league, and more with their being film to break down tendencies, audibles, etc. going into the second year of being in a system.

Does anyone else see this as a big gamble though? Keenum would be the “safe” move and would all but guarantee somewhere from a 9-7 to 12-4 season and likely the playoffs. Cousins raises the ceiling considerably and may be worth the risk. However, what happens IF Cousins signs somewhere else? Keenum will be gone for $15-20 million a year, and Teddy will never be the same player he was (average QB with low ceiling on an average team) even IF he’s brought back cheap.

By letting Keenum go, 1 of 2 things will happen:

1. Vikings land Cousins and immediately cement themselves as the 2nd best team behind a young talented Philadelphia team in the NFC with a great shot at the Super Bowl.

2. Vikings will immediately be back into the annual qb carousel with Bradford, Teddy, and Keenum as free agents. The market goes South quickly after Cousins (Teddy and Bradford are only options to hold a clipboard in the NFL moving forward if they want to be on a winning team)

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Im just curious why after 1 1/2 years everyone is certain that teddy was junk.

Teddy’s two seasons averaged to 3,000 yards and 14 TD’s. That would put him 22nd in yards this past year, and 25th in TD’s (Behind Rodgers’ half a season). Additionally Teddy failed the “eye test” in my opinion with mediocre arm strength slightly above average mobility. Plus Teddy hasn’t played in 2 years, so who knows if he can even pick up the mediocre play he left on.

Case Keenum would either get franchised at $24m, or signed to a longer term deal for similar money. So the question is if you’d rather have Case at 24ish million, or Cousins for a few million more per year. And that answer is obvious imo.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Does anyone else see this as a big gamble though?

Yes, and that’s why I’ll be nervous until this gets figured out. The gamble itself means that, much like you said, Keenum, Bradford, and Bridgewater could land elsewhere and if the Vikes lose out on Cousins there isn’t really anyone out there that IMO even gets us to 8-8.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Cousins will be in no doubt about how badly the Vikings want him, so the question is will the Vikings front office pay the price?

Now on Cousins end, the Vikes may be one of the more attractive teams with their hat in the ring, so a deal could be reached at less than the Jets offer just based on the trajectory of the Vikings.

As much as the Vikings front office will talk the cliche talk, they HAVE to be getting Quarterback Fatigue Syndrome and just want the pain to stop. There has to be a LOT of desire in the organization to just have that position sorted out with a starter and a backup.

I think this is the Vikings chance to sort out the hairball at QB, stop waiting for development projects to pan out, and do something with this team to get over the hump. The price is steep, but it won’t be any cheaper in the future if/when the next opportunity comes around.

Grouse

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I think Keenum could be had at $15 million per on a 3 year deal. Remember, NFL contracts are not guaranteed, only the upfront signing bonus. Thats why these guys get front loaded deals.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 83 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.