Kingfisher Boats Opinions

• biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Does anyone have any experience or know someone who has a Kingfisher boat that can provide their thoughts on them. Now that they have a dealer in MN I’ve been very interested in their Escape 2025. I want a boat with a lot of space in the stern and not really interested in a ton of bow space. I want my next boat to last decades, like my current one just with a different layout.

I really like the fact they come with a full enclosure attached to a Bimini.

I’m curious what the ride is like on any of their models. Is it a dry ride? Build quality? Stable? Are the layouts sufficient? Dislikes?

I see a few popular local guys are now running them so I know they are out there.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I think Darren Troseth runs one, so hopefully he will chime in. I’ve checked them out in Delano, and my neighbor has one (that I haven’t fished out of).
    They are built like tanks, super solid and very dry rides from what I understand. They sacrifice a little bit in creature comforts, but again you gain a ton of stability for that. Plus the huge dance floor is attractive, and I’d think would fit your needs well. Welcome back Matt!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I have 4 friends now that have Kingfishers. 1825 Falcon XL – 1875 jet and a 2175 shallow water extreme.

I am absolutely in love with the 1875 jet (will be my next boat). The 2175 is underpowered in my opinion with the 200 sport jet (same motor is in the 1875).

As far as the rides. Both the 1825 and the 1875 I have had no complaints with – super smooth and stable.

When I buy I will only opt for 1 bench seat/cooler as I think the two bench seats is a bit much and takes up alot of room.

3 River Adventures on this forum just purchases a new kingfisher as well – i’ll message him to jump in on this thread.

3Rivers

I’ve had a Falcon for several months now. It’s rock solid and definitely a utilitarian type boat with not a lot of frills, but that’s exactly how I like it. Built to last forever with a re-power every couple decades if needed.

It’s stable and dry but not quiet by any means. After using the onboard wash down hose I’d never own another boat without one. I use it all the time. The full enclosure is high quality and awesome for inclement weather and shade too.

The fuel tank and fill hole has been the biggest disappointment for me. Very sharp/odd angle to get the filler in the hole and ALWAYS overflows and shoots gas into the splash well. I was told it’s this way because of some Canadian law and discourages trying to fill the tank from inside the boat but strangely enough I find I have to board the boat in order to get the nozzle in. Not a great design.

But, I really like the boat and would buy another one for sure.

3Rivers

Haha, I beat you to it. ) and yes I agree, I took out both side benches and now using quality folding chairs for my passengers instead.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

I will agree with the fuel tank – every kingfisher I have seen has the same issue – always overflows.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Never fished out of one but the few I’ve seen in person were built like a brick $#%& house.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Some great responses guys. I thought you Northwoods Angling guys had at least one. I also saw Darrens walkthrough video on YouTube. This is what started piquing my interest.

I am really glad to hear they are rock solid. That’s one of my bigger concerns. Great to hear their lower profile models are dry as well. I can only imagine that the Escape is even drier.

I spend at least 25% of my time on Lake Superior so I want something that’s at least as capable as my CC but adds the stern space for passengers.

Those Falcon models look awesome. The price seems comparable to an Alumacraft, Crestliner or Lund but seem like a much better built boat and better value overall.

I see Foster Bros is planning a demo day in August. I’m going to try hard to go to that.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I Believe Matt Johnson who used to work at Thorn ran or runs a Kingfisher. You can ask him on Face Book

3Rivers

Matt, I know a guy running a 2025 on Superior and he might be able to help you out with any questions too. Here’s one of his pics.

Attachments:
    1. 169635713_4638172876198440_5491268383019737903_n.jpg

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Deadrise is generally low (16-18 deg.) on such “costal” aluminum boats.
    They tend to pound harder which is typical for aluminum boats.
    Designed for ocean swells rather than chop.
    Depending on you needs/wants it may be something to keep your eye on.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Matt, I know a guy running a 2025 on Superior and he might be able to help you out with any questions too. Here’s one of his pics.
    Attachments:

I’d be really curious to hear what he has to say.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Deadrise is generally low (16-18 deg.) on such “costal” aluminum boats.
    They tend to pound harder which is typical for aluminum boats.
    Designed for ocean swells rather than chop.
    Depending on you needs/wants it may be something to keep your eye on.

I sort of assumed as much. I would have to imagine that it would still be a better ride than say a Lund Pro-V, wouldn’t you think? I know patience is key on superior when traveling long distances. As long as I can stay dry and comfortable, I have no problem slowing down and taking my time.

I sort of push my luck in my boat when I have long distances to travel due to the thought of having to stand for hours. One of the benefits of standing and driving is that your knees are great shock absorbers for your back. The only issues is that you tire down after a while.

What are your general thoughts on the Escape 2025?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I Believe Matt Johnson who used to work at Thorn ran or runs a Kingfisher. You can ask him on Face Book

Matt ran one two years ago but has had a Lund ProV Bass for the last two years. His Kingfisher was geared more towards lake fishing if I remember right so if that’s something you’re looking for he would be willing to give you his thoughts I’m sure.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m thinking that @zammer down here has one and was thinking about going to a wheel boat from his long tiller.
    Steve?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You guy quit talking about kingfishers! I’ve suppressed the feeling of buying for quite some time but ya’ll making it difficult!
    Love them kingfishers!!

3Rivers

Hey Matt, here’s what he had to say:

“First day I had it out I was in 4-5 footers on Green Bay. It handled them very well. Very dry ride too. I’ve been out on Superior a couple of times. Fished 5 guys one trip. Could have done 6 no problem. Leaving this morning for Lake Michigan salmon fishing. There is so much room in the back of an Escape. Perfect for great lake trolling. And casting as well.”

Attachments:
    1. 192319804_184849620235986_3718572622446378686_n.jpg

2. 194284573_499413421345480_1778566918846689624_n.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Hey Matt, here’s what he had to say:

“First day I had it out I was in 4-5 footers on Green Bay. It handled them very well. Very dry ride too. I’ve been out on Superior a couple of times. Fished 5 guys one trip. Could have done 6 no problem. Leaving this morning for Lake Michigan salmon fishing. There is so much room in the back of an Escape. Perfect for great lake trolling. And casting as well.”

Sold.

Thanks for checking with him. That’s an awesome rig. Having a family of four, I’ve always wanted to take other people’s kids out fishing. My boat has a capacity of 5, the Escape I think has a capacity of 9.

Now I just need to scrounge up $80K, minus the value of my current rig.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I looked at one that was for sale on lake vermillion and all I can say is I love that boat. They are beautiful boats

Steve Zamzow
    Des Moines, Iowa

I have the 2025 Flex Tiller and couldn’t be happier with this boat. Very sturdy and takes big water great. Getting old so thinking about a windshield boat. The Kingfishers are heavy, much more so than a Lund of similar size. Mine has a 150 Yamaha and I wish it had a 200. 12 degree deadrise makes the boat sit pretty deep in the water. Great boat all around.

biggerflatheads1

I rig all the kingfishers coming out of foster bros marine in Delano from the 18s to the 34’s from simple head units to $50,000 full radar, auto pilot systems and then immediately take them to the lake for full sea trials. Among the boat lines I put in the water hands down I recommend kings! Just wrapped up the dnrs new 1875 extreme shallow and returned from the lake. I’m excited for the inmars to come through to compare.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m gonna feel really guilty buying one of these now after watching the debt free thread.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m gonna feel really guilty buying one of these now after watching the debt free thread.

It’s your money spend it. Why not.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

@biggerflatheads1

What are your thoughts on the Escape 2025 specifically? Good for 50+ mile rides on superior? The only reservation other than price is that the console is so far forward. Any risk of spearing waves? Is the ride rougher being that far forward?

I like that the console is so far forward for the space just wondering if there are any trade offs.

Thanks!

Graham Redshaw

If I ever get into this price range for a boat, this is the one. The only thing I don’t care for is the cooler / bench seats because I don’t think my kids will be able to ride like that.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If I ever get into this price range for a boat, this is the one. The only thing I don’t care for is the cooler / bench seats because I don’t think my kids will be able to ride like that.

These are very customizable boats. I’ve seen several with 4 swiveling seats plus 2 bench seats. If you buy new, you can get whatever you want. My current boat has a cooler built in and have really grown to love having a big cooler double as a bench seat.

I have a kingfishers 2175, awsome river boat. I wish to add a pair of Minn Kota Talons to the back. I am sure the swim deck will need modified and brackets made. Any suggestions?

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1636457615973.jpg

John Ingalls

Just purchased a Kingfisher 2025 Falcon. Anyone have any experience with these? Looking for some affirmation!

Had a 07 Lund Tyee 1950 GranSport with the I/O. Too nice of a boat for me to fish out of. I’m sure the Falcon won’t ride as nice due to how light it is. But really liked the open deck to be able to customize it how I want.

Attachments:
    1. 1E0F5726-7CF4-453E-B446-3A777CE3DA7D.jpeg

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Some history on Kingfishers, they originally started out as a brand called, Jetcraft was the design was sold to Harborcraft and then Kingfisher. They were always full welded boats with 1/4″ thick hulls. I owned a 21′ deep vee Jetcraft and fished out of it for 17 years. When I sold it, it looked as good as the day I bought it. The flex design of the hulls make these an extremely strong boat. The chine design also makes the deep vees some of the best riding boats on the lake.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.