Kayak fishing thoughts/recommendations

• GoldWinger

Who fishes out of a kayak? What do you have, how do you like it? Interested in obtaining one. In my case, primary use would be for river fishing, some open water (lake) fishing, and also would use for duck hunting. Have a 2.5 HP Merc, so perhaps motor mount for that or electric. Probably a sit on top due to “rusty hips”, but open. Stability more important than speed.

castle-rock-clown

I fish occasionally out of a Wilderness Commander. It’s half canoe half kayak. I have a 30 lb Motorguide but have not used it yet as the boat paddles so easy. I use a humminbird 385 GPS sonar that I power with a Milwaukee 12 volt lithium battery. Seating is good, but now there is better. I really like the Old Town prowler sit on tops. They have a low and tall seat position, and the seat is fantastic. Also look at Jackson Kayak. Almost all the big manufacturers have sit on tops geared toward the fishing community. Look them over, it’s a great way to fish.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I started spending more time in an older Ocean Kayak… Trident I think? 13′, sit on top. I was looking at the new Prowler Big Game model late last year, and would love it. A little slower as it is a bit wider, but looks super stabile, and the adjustable height, greatly improved seat felt so comfortable.

Be careful, it is an addiction. Getting back to the basics, simple, close to the water in a small boat is fun. I move a small depth finder of the front of my big boat onto it, and use a vex battery I drop into a glued in tuperware snap closed container inside it. Rod holders, tether lines for rods and everything. Kayak anchors and such… like I said, an addition, but a great one!!!

This would be one of my choices if getting something new: http://www.oceankayak.com/biggame/

That, or I would look at the ones with the foot paddles. Heard they are very nice in a little wind or current where you can hold yourself in position while fishing… but they get even more spendy.

castle-rock-clown

Chuck, stay out of that Johnson Outdoors store on Main. It’s like dangling crack in front of an addict. They did have a couple of tan Predators, last years model, at blow out prices, don’t know if they still have em.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I got rid of my boat and went to a Wenonah Backwater 15 canoe with a 55# trolling motor and love it. Fishing small rivers and areas boats can’t get to easily has been enjoyable to say the least. I opted for a canoe so I could take one of my kids along and take more gear when needed. It also fishes slightly higher in the water than a kayak. Believe it or not though I did get a ticket for not paying a boat launch fee once though. Authorities said once you put registration numbers on a canoe or kayak you now have a boat subject to fees and not a carry-in. Of course I have yet to find that in writing anywhere. Sorry boat guys, I guess if I have to pay the fee I’m backing my car with canoe right up to the launch and use the amount of time I need to load/unload rather than carrying everything like I have in the past… sorry for the rant but in the Town of Oakland near Cambridge you get the impression the patrollers don’t get paid unless they find a reason to fine everyone for any reason possible.

Chuck Melcher

I’m ten minutes from the store…..

Harder yet, all the regular priced stuff, got an uncle, and best buddy with access to employee deals. 30% off… yea, I could go broke if my wish list wasn’t kept in close check.

I love my 17′ Lund, but found a ton of pleasure in the re-found experience of small lakes and waters this summer in the kayak. Gets ya back to some of where fishing all started for me. My only problem is a sore rear, and lower back too quick…. hence that cool looking new model.

Why I warned GoldWinger it was an addiction. I’ve totally fallen for it.

Fisherpaul

I fish out of a Necky Manitou 14. It’s a sit in and is great in current and paddles very easy in calm water too. It’s a tight fit in the cockpit. But its rigged up right for fishing. I bought a piece of 1 inch PCV pipe and attached it to the back of a white plastic cutting board to make a little work station/bait table that fits in the notch that holds your paddle across the bow in my kayak. Also add a couple of rod holder mounts to both sides front and back for your cock pit. Then you can troll or hold your rod behind you while paddling or troll and paddle with them on from of you. Also you can put your rods in the hold and work on thing in from of you with the holders. Or if you add and anchor you can anchor off and bottom fish in the river if you choose. As for my dream fishing rig I’d like a Hobbie Mirage drive Pro angler like this. Now I see they have a 2 up that would be great to bring along my son! http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-14/
    http://www.hobiecat.com/mirage/mirage-pro-angler-17/

castle-rock-clown

My dream kayak would be a prowler or predator with a 55lb minnkota ulterra linked to a humminbird 999si. Having a bow mounted electric trolling motor that is fully controlled from the cockpit would be a dream. I have talked to minnkota about introducing a 12 volt 55lb Ulterra, but we will have to wait and see.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I wouldn’t be able to lift that Mirage, 80# canoe is plenty. I’d need a trailer and a place to park it.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I too sold my boat a couple years ago…not entirely by choice, but since I’ve rekindled the kid in me paddling around smaller waters and rivers in a canoe or kayak. Like Greg said, it forced me back into some simplicity…and I love it. I can’t walk past any canoe or kayak now though without stopping to look…addicting as heck, and my “I want” list just keeps growing. I guess my simplicity hardwiring is crossed up somewhere-I keep wanting to add to and complicate the game! roll

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Simple isn’t all, I’ve been contemplating starting a column for years entitled “Cheapskate Fisherman” which would be me. I can pack my canoe, paddle, trolling motor, battery, side scanning sonar, 3 6.5′ rods and tackle, wife and 2 kids all in a Ford Focus and then store it all in my 2 car garage with both cars and canoe inside and catch fish until my heart is content. It’s really a great quiet way to travel on secluded water. Fish aren’t the only thing you sneak up on, I’ve seen tons of wildlife along the way and a few nude sun bathers. And in return I’ve had a pontoon full of ladies come up and inquire about the canoe and then flash me as they sped off. I guess they figured they were safe because I could never keep up.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

Goldwinger,
    Not sure where you’re located or what kind of time frame you’re looking at but some kayak shops offer on water demos once the open water season starts. Places like a Midwest Mountaineering (Mpls) or Rutabagas (Madison) will allow you to paddle multiple models so you can get a direct comparison. Whether or not you buy from them it’s still a great way to narrow down what you may be looking for.

I’m also entertaining the fishing kayak idea and that will be my plan come April.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Tegg brings up a good point. Many canoe/kayak shops offer something of this type. Mel’s sporting goods here in Rhinelander offers rental, and if you end up buying they’ll deduct the rental fee off of the sale price(same for snowshoes, skis, etc.). A really cheap way to try out different canoes or kayaks and get a better idea of what they’re like on the water. Good call Tegg! waytogo

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Gregg, you’re right. Forces me to slow down, take it in…and a lot of wildlife don’t seem near as skittish about a canoe or kayak drifting in close to them.

Timo i

Fished in one for years open style when lived n florida.
    Tons of fun caught a sailfish once and other bigger fish,
    Note you are a bobber when fish match or come close to your weight.
    There was a new style that came out when i stopped it was the hobie pro something it had footpaddels looked sweet.

GoldWinger

Thanks guys. Good info. I’ve been leaning towards NuCanoe Frontier (www.nucanoe.com) Anyone w/ thoughts/experience w/ this one?

FryDog62

I’m a strong believer in hands-free kayak/canoe fishing. For me, it was a constant pain to pick up a paddle, get into position, set it down, cast, reposition, paddle again, cast….get snagged, ugh.. Especially tough in river current.

Best two options for me if I were to do it again would be the hands-free Hobie Mirage (very expensive) or to get an inexpensive fishing canoe or Pelican style boat with a trolling motor. Again, hands free would be the key…

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I would be concerned with the weight vs length and what you intend to haul it with. My canoe is 15′ and 80#. With 15′ I can load it one end at a time so I don’t have to lift the entire weight. 80# is heavier than you think when you have to lift it over your head. It’s not like 80# in a gym with weights designed to be lifted. Canoes and kayaks are wider, longer and not well designed for weight lifters. 2 people in my 15′ canoe is crowded, nucanoe says 1-3 people in a 12′ boat… rub a dub dub. I once had a 8′ plastic pontoon and 2 adults in that looked pretty funny. Not much room for gear in that thing, you don’t even get cross bars to lay your rods across so they’ll stick out the front, back or sides. My rods used to do that until I got into brush, docks, etc. and start breaking them off.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

I considered that but as a cheapskate the price of the trailer and hitch for the car is too much plus storage problems since I get 2 cars and canoe in the garage with room to spare garage stuff. You also have to consider access, can’t take a trailer everywhere and then there’s launch fees. I can take my canoe and gear to work with me and park in the employee lot. There’s 2-3 week periods when fishing is great the canoe never comes off the car unless I’m fishing in it. Working in Madison it’s nice not having to navigate a trailer in city traffic.

Fisherpaul

Mine both sit on top of my car. I built a trailer like the one linked above for my old man though. Works pretty good for him. I think there is maybe 300 bucks into it.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Who fishes out of a kayak? What do you have, how do you like it? Interested in obtaining one. In my case, primary use would be for river fishing, some open water (lake) fishing, and also would use for duck hunting. Have a 2.5 HP Merc, so perhaps motor mount for that or electric. Probably a sit on top due to “rusty hips”, but open. Stability more important than speed.

Check out the Solo Skiff. http://www.soloskiff.com

Fisherpaul

That solo skiff is pretty cool!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Now, let’s talk SUP fishing! )

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That solo skiff is pretty cool!

5 HP max? I’ll bet it would scoot with a 5 on it, but who could resist adding more!!!

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Now, let’s talk SUP fishing! )

Talk about an Olympic sport! If fishing were ever to make it as a game event it would have to involve a board. I have a hard enough time not dropping everything I own in the water already.

scmelik
    South Dakota

I have been thinking about getting a kayak for awhile now but I am worried that with the bigger we have in SD and the wind we get that I might be asking for trouble. For those of you that fish out of them a lot how do they handle a 15-20 mph wind?

Chuck Melcher

Wind… not well. You are often only inches out of the water for one, so any side waves simply suck. Boat control is part of the “challenge” already, be it current or wind. That much wind on open water wouldn’t be inviting to me.

Kayaking to me is most inviting on small, quiet waters… back areas out of reach in bigger boats.

There are guys that fish Lake Michigan for trout by me… one they are set up differently, and I assume they are very careful what days they head out. You’ll see videos of guys in the ocean with them as well. Big water is less attractive for me personally.

scmelik
    South Dakota

Wind… not well. You are often only inches out of the water for one, so any side waves simply suck. Boat control is part of the “challenge” already, be it current or wind. That much wind on open water wouldn’t be inviting to me.

Kayaking to me is most inviting on small, quiet waters… back areas out of reach in bigger boats.

There are guys that fish Lake Michigan for trout by me… one they are set up differently, and I assume they are very careful what days they head out. You’ll see videos of guys in the ocean with them as well. Big water is less attractive for me personally.

that is exactly what has kept me from getting one. We get quite a few mornings that are nice and calm but usually it doesn’t take to long for the wind to pick up and the lakes to get a bit choppy with nothing to block the wind out here.

Fisherpaul

Yeah wind sucks. You can do it but it’s more work. I’m more looking to relax and fish not work that hard. IT can be done, if you anchor into the wind and don’t paddle.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.