Kab-Namakan Report 7/21-7/28

• HYBES
    SE MN

Sloooooooooooow.Caught Walleyes/jumbo perch on 3/8 Lindys 17-50 ft early and late on half crawlers,plain or red single hook.Mid lake flats held perch and were willing.We worked it hard for the first 2 days and caught some fish but I was looking for more consistant action.I asked the resort for some fishing leads or tips and they were tight lipped or seemed to change the subject.Hello,its a fishing resort! Make something up,I don’t care,I would’nt know the difference. I knew they knew something cause one owner is a guide.I’m not asking for there honey hole or anything.Our group(4 cabins) did’nt feel very welcome and the resort did’nt have that “up north” friendliness that I’m used to.I guess I need to book a $400 guide trip to get a “good morning”!. I dug around a bit at Rocky Ledge from a couple friendly anglers and came up that more people are fishing Namakan right now.So we headed there and used Lindys as above and also large Phelps floaters(yellow,green,red.Narrows,Wolf Pack,Nam Island worked for us.Well worth the trip for our group.To passify the kids we hit the weed edges for slimers during midday using spinner baits and there was plenty of action for them. Visited our old cabin spot on Sphunge Island and the old fireplace is still standing.Lots of memories. Late July is not my favorite time for this area but this was a family vacation. Drove to Narrows/Ash River Trail one day to hike and would consider staying there some time to get a more centralized location on the lakes.Had lunch at AshKabNam,nice bar/restaurant. Any suggestions on lodging for this area?

joe-bauman
    Rochester, MN

I used to stay on Ash River Memorial Day week with a group of 15. We stayed at Ash Trail and were very happy with everything. Steve & Debbie were very accommodating. Bait, launch ramp, food and cleaning shack. They have a nice bar/restaurant too. Some times we would walk the trail to Ashkanam(?) for a night cap.
    It’s about a 20 minute boat ride in no wake zone past all the resorts on the Ash river but was nice way to get everyone/gear ready once in the boat. Also made for good start to happy hour on the drive in!
    We fished 80% of the time on Namakan lake. Sullivan Bay can also be good in spring. Occasionally went down to Tom Cod if the bite was on down there. Hope this helps!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Aren’t those eyes pretty much history coming up from 50 fow?

fishalot31
    Brooklyn Park

Just finished a week long houseboat trip on Crane, Namakan and Kab with my family. We cleaned up pretty good on the eyes. Pulled spinner rigs on bottom bouncers with crawlers. Worked the deeper breaks and flats from 24 to 38 feet running .8 to 1 mph. Fished up in lost bay on kab and various spots in namakan. Our best spot was in namakan on a large flat. Lots of nice eaters and a few doubles. Silver or gold blades with red beads seemed to work best.

dr-death
    Phillips, WI

Quote:

Aren’t those eyes pretty much history coming up from 50 fow?

Of course they are!!!

HYBES
    SE MN

The deep eyes that we caught were fine.I”ve had issues with there airbags coming out in the past,that’s painful when that happens,especially when theres a slot.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.