Kab Crappies?

• Matt

Heading up to Kab for our annual trip this week. Would love to put my daughters on some crappies but I’ve never really tried fishing for them up there before. Any suggestions on what type of structure/depth I should start on this time of the year? We are staying on the Ash River and usually fish both Kab and Namakan. Not asking for anyone’s spots, just a general description of what to look for to get started.

Thanks!

tim hurley

Well having never fished Kab before I thought I should jump in and respond! (GB America) What I do know is crappies spawn at around 64 degrees so you might be right on it when you go. Thought I read that way up there they might spawn at cooler temps because that fry needs time to develope-anyway early post spawn they will be close to spawning areas which is a big advantage on a big infertile relatively crappie free lake. So anyhow crappies love to spawn on reeds, if reeds are everywhere (remember I don’t know) look for reeds near breaks with fertile areas nearby. I like reeds by mud cattail areas. No reeds? They will use wood or dock posts. Neither? Emerging cattails. Thats the formula (shhhh) reeds or wood, or cattails. Don’t spank the big ones up there because they take a long time to grow-but because they can’t be targeted well for most of the year you could eat a few slabs w/o too much guilt—-good luck

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Far end of lost bay.

Matt

Thanks guys for giving me something to start with. Not looking to keep a bunch of crappies. More looking for something for the kids to have fun using some slip bobbers. I’ll let you all know how the week goes.

welliou

Ash river runs into Sullivan bay, that’s where I would start. water temp is about right. Try a small white Beetle Spin. Word has it you may even get a walleye or two.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Far end of lost bay.

I haven’t fished it for years but know guys that do and I have heard this same statement from multiple sources.

HYBES
    SE MN

Lost Bay x2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.