K-Drill and a dewalt drill or Milwaukee

• Steve Hammer

Just purchased The 6 in K-drill. I liked to get a dewalt brushless drill because I have other 20 volt batteries. The K-drill recommends Milwaukee. Should I just get the Milwaukee or is there a comparable in Dewalt? What part number in Dewalt?

Kevin Yopp

Just got one, too. Looking forward to putting it the test.

FYI, the K-Drill manual says you can also use the DeWalt 20V Max XR, model DCD990M2.

Bobby Kuennen

I’ve got a Milwaukee fuel 18. Absolutely love it. Not using the kdrill but with a 5″ strikemaster laser i could drill 30-40 holes in a foot of ice.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I use the biggest dewalt 3 speed xr hammerdrill on my 9″ lazer, you can also get the new 60 volt max batteries and use it on the same drill! I will post the model number later.

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Are you able to use a makita 18v brushless drill with the K-drill. Either the standard drill or the impact driver? Looking at getting a K-drill. Would prefer the 8 inch model. Does that need a larger drill?

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

This is what I use, dcd995.

Attachments:
    1. 1480519243259-2118848458.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

I use the biggest dewalt 3 speed xr hammerdrill on my 9″ lazer, you can also get the new 60 volt max batteries and use it on the same drill! I will post the model number later.

Have you purchased one of the FLEXVOLT 60v batteries yet? Wondering how well they work and the increased runtime on a 20V drill.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I haven’t, very interested though.

Lawrence Luoma

You’ll get about ten more holes with the DeWalt XR 995 or 996 model than the Fuel 18v with both using a 5ah battery. Buy whatever kit you find on sale. I’ve seen the 995 or 996 kits for $207 but haven’t seen them for awhile.

Steve Hammer

Do you know what makes the DeWalt 995 or 996 drill 10 more holes? In how much ice?

Thanks

404 ERROR
    MN

Do you know what makes the DeWalt 995 or 996 drill 10 more holes? In how much ice?

Thanks

Less power consumption in the Dewalt due to a lower power rating. I drilled 60-70 holes yesterday with a 20V XR 4AH in 4-5″ of ice and only drained the battery 1/3.

Only reason I went with Dewalt over Milwaukee is I already had multiple 20v batteries for home use, just needed the bigger drill. If I were to be starting from scratch, I would go with Milwaukee based on the simple fact of overwhelmingly positive reviews paired with an auger.

Lawrence Luoma

What Merican Eagle says is my guess. I have both drills and yes it seems like the Fuel has more torque but I assume the more torque is eating the battery faster.

Steve Hammer

Is safe to say Dealt drills slower because of less torque? Maybe that’s why it can drill more holes

404 ERROR
    MN

Is safe to say Dealt drills slower because of less torque? Maybe that’s why it can drill more holes

I haven’t seen any evidence that the Dewalt drills holes any slower than the Milwaukee. The power rating on the Milwaukee is 120 in. lbs versus somewhere in the low 700’s for the Dewalt. They spin at the same speed, the Dewalt just uses less juice due to less power being exerted by the drill. Which one will last longer? My guess and vote goes to the Milwaukee, but that is pure speculation on my part.

hnd

i have all dewalt power tools but jumped at a milwaukee drill driver set that was almost 150 off the 400 dollar normal price to match with my kdrill. last year a guy i was with got 4-500″ of ice cut with his m18 fuel and 4.0ah and a 6″ kdrill.

Quite frankly, you can use any drill you want. it may burn up, it may not. i know a guy thats drilled thousands of holes the last 3 year with an 18v dewalt (non lithium) and an 8″ lazer. its still his everyday work drill too. still ticking.

we ran into a guy running a harbor frieght cheapy that cost 50 bucks and he was pounding holes with his 6″ kdrill. drilled at least 20 on 8″ of ice without changing the battery from what we could see.

castle-rock-clown

It’s a little known secret, but the molecular construction of the K-drill actually generates an electrical field as its being used and actually charges the drills battery the more you use it.

Kevin Yopp

K-Drill Vortex, or something like that …

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Milwaukee if you’re going bigger than a 6″.

I’ve seen the 6″ run by a variety of cheaper drills, with no downfalls other than less battery life, and the fact that you’re risking burning it up.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Less power consumption in the Dewalt due to a lower power rating. I drilled 60-70 holes yesterday with a 20V XR 4AH in 4-5″ of ice and only drained the battery 1/3.

The reason I reopened this thread is because, I recently got the chance to use the 996 20V Dewalt drill…Wow! The setup I used had a 6″ laser auger on it. It cut super fast and handled 30″+ of ice like nothing. It cut faster and cleared the chips much better than the kdrill. I don’t think I’d pay $50 for a kdrill after using them side by side. (to clarify we were drilling 30″+ of ice. In thinner ice the difference would be less. The chips cause more of a problem in thicker ice. The segmented auger on the Kdrill was to blame for the issue in my opinion.)

The kdrill was much harder to drill and it seemed like you had to clear the hole of chips constantly. My buddy with the Kdrill looked pretty envious.

The laser and Dewalt I think will be my next new drill. We had over 40 holes in 30″+ with a 20V 5AH battery and it still had plenty of power. The guy said he runs an 8″ auger on it with great results too. I really didn’t think we were in the era where a battery operated auger could be used for punching a lot of holes. My mind has been changed.

Another benefit to the Dewalt is the side handle is mounted with a rigid collar design instead of the dovetail design on the Millwaukee. These are snapping off left and right on the Millwaukees. Unless someone has more info to add I’ll be pulling the trigger on Dewalt 966 20v with a 6″ and 8″ auger soon waytogo

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Dewalt 995 or 996 should be good to go.

roger

I have the 6 in kdrill and use it on 30+ in of ice and its ok. going to need a drill plate when they become available again. the way the handle attaches to the drill is totally junk. only an idiot could design that. the drill itself has been ok. never looked at the Dewalt but maybe should have. thought the milwaukee would be good and it will with the clam drill plate I think but the adds more expense to it.

I see looking at the DEWALT DCD996P2 20V MAX XR Lithium Ion Brushless 3-Speed Hammer Drill Kit The handle attachment wraps around the drill looks to be a better design. Maybe someone else that has the Dewalt could comment on it..

PmB

Are you able to use a makita 18v brushless drill with the K-drill. Either the standard drill or the impact driver? Looking at getting a K-drill. Would prefer the 8 inch model. Does that need a larger drill?

XPH07MB this Makita works great.

Sam
    Zimmerman

I got the 8” kdrill and m18. I not really liking it. I’m only getting about 6 holes per Battery. Was on leech last weekend got 12 holes total lol. About to put kdrill on strikemaster power head. My buddy have a nils 6” with same drill he get about 40 holes on battery.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

About to put kdrill on strikemaster power head

Or better yet put a strikemaster auger bit on your Milwaukee?

All I can say is KDrill did some great marketing and they work fine/great in 12″ of ice but in real MN ice they perform rather poorly.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>
    a 6″ laser auger on it.

Joe is this the Laser Hand Auger that you are talking about?

Yes, the 6″ and the 8″ were both hand augers. The guy I know running the Dewalt/Strikemaster 6″ was turning heads. I honestly saw guys holding their Kdrills staring at this guy drill holes. It’s fast…

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Sweet! I will have to check into this. I bought a Kdrill this year. It works pretty good, but in thicker ice it uses up the battery pretty quick. I bought the Dewalt 996 Drill you were talking about. I am very happy with it. I used the Kdrill on the Strikemaster power head to reopen some holes before I got my new drill. It worked good. I have heard from others the Laser on a drill was the way to go. I am going to give it a try.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.