JTX Rod Fail

• shady5

I bought a JTX rod (7’ 1” open water) from JT Customs two years ago and liked it up until it snapped a few days ago. I had the rod between my knees with the butt on the boat floor and was pulling line to move a bobber stop up the line a foot or so. The rod was minimally flexed then all of a sudden it snapped about 10” from the tip. I’ve done this about a million times with all types/brands of rods with no issue. I called JT’s and the lady I spoke with was really nice, but it will be an additional $135 for a replacement. That’s not bad compared to a new one, but I’m now gun shy about their quality. Anyone hear of issues with these rods?

munchy
    NULL

If it lasted two years without issue I’d say it was probably damaged somehow. Even just a minor nick or pinch can kill a rod blank.

catmando
    wis

If you were pulling straight down on the line flexing your tip down, that’s called short stroking your tip or rod, not good, broke a few myself doing it ! A moderate action you might get by, a fine fast tip, will break dang easy!
    DK . Last one I did it to was a tucr power noddle caught one fish with it, I short stroked it taking off fish broke the tip! My fault.

Bassn Dan

If you were pulling straight down on the line flexing your tip down, that’s called short stroking your tip or rod, not good, broke a few myself doing it ! A moderate action you might get by, a fine fast tip, will break dang easy!
    DK . Last one I did it to was a tucr power noddle caught one fish with it, I short stroked it taking off fish broke the tip! My fault.

Also referred to as “high sticking” and the same thing happens if lifting a fish with the rod nearly straight up. It seems like an innocent thing to do, but it essentially folds the blank down on it self creating tremendous stress. Even “Ugly Stiks” will break if that is done to them (they pull them in an arc, not straight down in the ads.) If that’s what happened JT is being very generous to warranty it for you. Avoid “high sticking” it and enjoy your new rod.

shady5

Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff Schomaker

High dollar super sensitive rods can also be very fragile.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.