JB weld for trolling motor repair

• Aboxy17

Looking for some input on a recent trolling motor repair I did. I bought a 12v bow mount motorguide off market place last year. Main reason I got it was because it had the wireless foot pedal which I really liked as I have a tiller. Everything looked to be fine, but when I put it in the water for the first time after 5 minutes I noticed it was not responding to the pedal. I ran up and looked and the lower unit of the motor had separated from the shaft and was dangling by the wires!

Long story short the threading on the shaft had been stripped raw and no longer held the lower unit. I was thinking about rethreading it, but since the rethreaded shaft would end up being a smaller diameter than the factory threading, I opted for a much easier and cheaper route. I slapped some JB Marine Weld on the end of the shaft, seems to be holding the lower unit on so far but wondering if it will last? Does anyone have experience using that stuff? 

tswoboda

Nice fix, hope it works out for you.

I hope you went back to wherever you bought it and took a dump on their driveway

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i had a older lawnmower i used J-B Weld on. i wanted to change oil in it, this lawnmower had the plug underneath. trying to loosen it that white metal they made the frame out of broke completely off. there i sat wondering WTF!

i cleaned it up really good..put the JB on it. it held till i got rid of the mower, never leaked a drop of oil in alot of years after. even under the heart of the motor…..i swear by that stuff.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have witnessed it do some amazing things in hot and wet environments. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’ve saved a lot of equipment with JB Weld.

All you can do is try it and with JB Weld fixes, they usually fall into the “nothing to lose” category.

My personal record is that I fixed a plastic diesel tank on a Deere tractor with JBW. New tank was over $2000 and there are no used ones because every one cracked in the same place. Stainless staples covered with 2 tubes of JBW. Fix was still in place when the tractor was sold 10 years later.

tswoboda

All you can do is try it and with JB Weld fixes, they usually fall into the “nothing to lose” category.

Like JB welding a chipped head and then holding the plug wire on with duct tape? Mind you he willingly drove this sled 20 miles away from the nearest road 3 days in a row.

Attachments:
    1. 20220115_114656-scaled.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Like JB welding a chipped head and then holding the plug wire on with duct tape?

When you combine JB Weld and duct tape, you’re in a completely different category. It’s called the “pushing your luck” category.

Sometimes you’ll be the pigeon, sometimes you’ll be the statue.

Don Carlisle
    Aitkin mn

Put jb weld on a 60 hp yamaha lower unit 4 years ago it was crack from water in the lower over the winter still works no leaks.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

There are times the JB Weld putty works even better, you can shape it and work it into what is being fixed and in my experience is much harder then JB in the two part tubes.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

You could always shorten the shaft and re-thread it with the original thread. The bigger issue would be finding a die with the correct thread. I would imagine it’s an obscure large diameter fine thread or possibly metric.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.