Is this open water lure legal in MN?

• blank

The tackle configuration known as the Alabama (Umbrella/Yumbrella) rig as it is commonly promoted is not legal in Minnesota waters. The rig pictured here is different than using a single lure with multiple treble hooks that is designed to catch just one fish.

Instead, the Alabama/Umbrella/Yumbrella rigs are artificial lure/baits that involve many separate lures/baits attached via wires to a fishing line. Consequently, these rigs are not a single artificial bait/lure, rather a collection of multiple artificial lures/baits each capable of catching a fish.

In my opinion, the link I posted is pretty clear in the differences. If you want to argue specifics, hypotheticals, or need more clarification, talk with a CO. I was just trying to help. I didn’t think people would try to nitpick so much.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Here is my understanding of the law, like I state back in my first comment an Alabama/umbrella rig is illegal in Minnesota to use it as it is right from the package, However if a person was to cut all of the hooks off of say 5 out of the 6 hooks, then they would be within the law to use it now since there is only 1 hook and all the others are just attractors.

Correct.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Two jigs, each with a Moxie, all within 9″.

Legal.

Each with a minnow, legal.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>
    Again please explain what makes one legal and one illegal. Obviously the DNR has determined the double ended rig shown, is NOT an Alabama rig and therefore legal.

If you put two minnows on the quick strike rig it’s illegal. It’s two baits with each their own hook.

The op’s rig is two baits with a hook in each. It’s illegal.

Incorrect and I have an email from MN dnr stating so. Shoot me your email and I’ll provide. Specifically asked about baits, and per dnr the regs do not get care about baits being used, only the hooks.

Dave, mepps is made of wire, you tie your fishing line to the wire, hence a lure.

Good grief I’m gonna send an email right now just to be done with this. Entertaining only yesterday……

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Apparently someone else in the forum also sent an email to dnr. It’s being processed now, someone here will have answers shortly.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Ask for the COs permission to post his email in a public forum and post it here.

Be sure to post the questions asked as well.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

How is an Alabama rig illegal when this is legal?

For the record, based on what the reg book says and the DNR website, the COs response makes no sense to me at all. No need to argue about it if they enforce it the way they say.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Ask for the COs permission to post his email in a public forum and post it here.

Be sure to post the questions asked as well.

There are no privacy exclusions with dnr emails that I have seen. Public knowledge. It was sent to fisheries folks to answer.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Beautiful. Let’s see it.

404 ERROR
    MN

The real question at hand, will this bait be used to catch Snook in MN waters?…That could make a huge difference…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I would advise you to contact a conservation officer. Emailing the DNR is likely to provide wrong information.

Two years ago the email people were telling me border water areas and they only difference from a conservation officer by 2MILES lol.

I’m tempted to email them again just to get a laugh.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I would advise you to contact a conservation officer. Emailing the DNR is likely to provide wrong information

Why would that be? COs interpretations are what can be different. The HQs answer would trump any of those. Especially in email that one can present to the officer when issues arise.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    I would advise you to contact a conservation officer. Emailing the DNR is likely to provide wrong information

Why would that be? COs interpretations are what can be different. The HQs answer would trump any of those. Especially in email that one can present to the officer when issues arise.

You have much more faith in hq than I do. I trust the guys and gals with the ticket books much more.

HQ is like the weathermen. They aren’t held to the forecast.
    CO may lose their job for wrongfully ticketing.
    Which position do you think spends more time ensuring they are doing it per the book.

HQ is just a body behind a keyboard with a regulations book.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Pool 3 BORDER defined

A good example of HQ

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I have also seen inconsistencies in replies from HQ versus directly from a co. Make sure the response is always from a co.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

When in court arguing a ticket presented to you, which will be better for yourself to have, an email from HQ or a “well the CO I talked to said so”.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

When in court arguing a ticket presented to you, which will be better for yourself to have, an email from HQ or a “well the CO I talked to said so”.

I prefer to contact both and know I won’t spend a day in court.

But I get the sentiment your casting

crappieguy

Man, this blew up more than I wanted it too.

1) This is in the ice fishing forum because I couldn’t find another forum dedicated to open water.

2) It’s obviously not written clearly in the books@

3) After reading all of this, I still believe the lure I posted is illegal because it talks about 2 artificial baits WITH 2 hooks. I think Justin Laack is spot on.

4) The lure showed in the book with 9″ separation, to me is meant to be attached to a single piece of bait. Like a big sucker setup when tip up fishing for big pike.

All I wanted to know was if I was in the right place to ask the company to swap lures for me!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I haven’t received an email back from DNR yet, they did say another person sent one in and curious if that person received anything before I send another.

wave

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    Two jigs, each with a Moxie, all within 9″.

Legal.

Each with a minnow, legal.

… on P4.

Two, or three rods of this setup on p4 buddy.

This statement I think might get people in trouble. Remember, tickets are at the discretion of the C/O and all the C/O has to support is his interpretation of the law in front of a judge if he gets called on it. The statement doesn’t clarify which state of licensure the angler using this set-up has and it will make a difference.

To the original poster/question….there is so much grey area around these types of baits that I suggest maybe not using it just to be on the safe side.

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.