Is this open water lure legal in MN?

• crappieguy

Does this classify as having 2 artificial baits on 1 line?

Attachments:
    1. Screen-Shot-2018-04-12-at-10.51.37-AM.png

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Illegal to use as is in Minnesota, unless fishing border waters where 2 lines/ 2 lures on one line is legal? This is like an umbrella rig for bass fishing, However in order to be able to use it on inland lakes you would have to cut the hook off of one of them and hope the fish strikes the one that still has a hook. The one that doesn’t have the hook is now just an attractor and you are legal.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I had to buy a bigger auger thanks to this one… devil (works the forearms too while jigging)

Attachments:
    1. bigger-auger.jpg

Mr. Derek
    NULL

If it measures less than 9″ hook point to hook point straightened out I would think it would be legal.

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

If it measures less than 9″ hook point to hook point straightened out I would think it would be legal.

I don’t think this lure would qualify under the single hook/artificial lure configuration. I see 2 separate lures attached at 1 point (like an umbrella rig) which is illegal.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Page 30.

Attachments:
    1. CF82E6FA-B009-4A7D-862E-E975F0CA0629.png

crappieguy

Figured. I got it as part of a monthly package deal. I won’t say any names, but upon reaching out they are immediately sending a new lure!

crappieguy

But the two plastics on there count as two artificial baits right? And you can only have one?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I disagree with munchy. Not bingo.

This was meant to allow for quick strike rigs and the like without those spinner blades to be legal. Unfortunately they go and confuse everyone by throwing what looks like 2 mepps spinners on the quick strike rig shown from biggill post right from the reg book.

I emailed them on this sometime ago and language hasn’t changed since then in regards to this. Hooks have to be used, but the baits that go on hooks do not matter. I Lindy rig with a fathead minnow, shiner, and or worm on one line at times. Good for catfish too, one ball worms other cutbait.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

But the two plastics on there count as two artificial baits right? And you can only have one?

Look at the attachment Biggill shows in his post above. (page 30 of the regs)
    The right hand illustration clearly shows two separate baits connected at the middle. This would be no different than the lure in question.

I would expect that the illustrations in the regulation book were put there to eliminated any confusion.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Jigs are lures. Hooks are hooks

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

You can have two jigs within 9″ and it is considered a single “lure”

Straight from several CO’s mouthes!

I’ll run that rig in inland waters, kind of a miniature Dubuque.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That’s great Andy, personally I’d want an email from dnr HQ stating that to show any Co that didn’t agree.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

So you are saying the regulation book illustration is wrong? The illustration is clearly labeled as being a legal configuration.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>

So you are saying the regulation book illustration is wrong? The illustration is clearly labeled as being a legal configuration.

As I stated before the reg book does make it confusing with the illustration. My email with dnr states plain hooks. That was few years back now though.

Simple email to dnr would solve this! I just don’t care enough to send one off.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>blank wrote:</div>
    I think they’d consider the lure as an Alabama/umbrella rig which is illegal in MN.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/fishing/alabamarig.html

This!

I was looking for this on the reg book but couldn’t find it. Thanks for finding it.

A quote directly from the link you so kindly provided.
    “Note: See the current fishing regulations for a description of legal tackle and configurations.”
    As directed, page 30 of the current regulations gives that information in both descriptive and illustrative form.

The illustration of an umbrella or Alabama rig is not the same as the illustration shown on page 30.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

I think they’d consider the lure as an Alabama/umbrella rig which is illegal in MN.

I don’t think “Alabama rigs” are illegal. Having more than 3 single hooks is illegal, and have any number of hooks greater than 9″ apart is illegal. There are people who throw A-rigs with 1 hook and the rest as hookless decoy baits. Mostly used for a search bait.

blank

I don’t think “Alabama rigs” are illegal. Having more than 3 single hooks is illegal, and have any number of hooks greater than 9″ apart is illegal. There are people who throw A-rigs with 1 hook and the rest as hookless decoy baits. Mostly used for a search bait.

You must not have actually read the words on that page.

blank

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

This!

I was looking for this on the reg book but couldn’t find it. Thanks for finding it.

“Note: See the current fishing regulations for a description of legal tackle and configurations.”
    As directed, page 30 of the current regulations gives that information in both descriptive and illustrative form.

The illustration of an umbrella or Alabama rig is not the same as the illustration shown on page 30.

Correct. Re-read the first paragraph from the link.

“The tackle configuration known as the Alabama (Umbrella/Yumbrella) rig as it is commonly promoted is not legal in Minnesota waters. The rig pictured here is different than using a single lure with multiple treble hooks that is designed to catch just one fish.”

Justin Laack
    Austin,mn

Here is my understanding of the law, like I state back in my first comment an Alabama/umbrella rig is illegal in Minnesota to use it as it is right from the package, However if a person was to cut all of the hooks off of say 5 out of the 6 hooks, then they would be within the law to use it now since there is only 1 hook and all the others are just attractors.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

That’s great Andy, personally I’d want an email from dnr HQ stating that to show any Co that didn’t agree.

The first time I asked this question it was to 3 co on rainy river. They all agreed it is a legal lure. I asked them to write that down for me… They said “we ain’t going to mess with you!” (Regarding my intimidating size) I chuckled but really did want them to write it down and didn’t ask again.

This was before any illustration made it to the books. Probably 4 yesterday ago. Now it is illustrated and in my opinion very clear. 9″ between all hooks.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

From https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/fishing/alabamarig.html

Minnesota law restricts anglers fishing in inland waters and the Canadian border waters to one artificial lure/bait on a single line. While each artificial lure/bait may have more than one hook (a crankbait, for example), only one lure or tackle configuration is allowed on a single line.

However, a Alabama (Umbrella/Yumbrella) would be legal if not more than one hook or artificial lure/bait is attached. An angler could place a single bait/lure with a hook on one of the wires and attach hookless spinners or plastic baits to the other wires.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>biggill wrote:</div>

This!

Correct. Re-read the first paragraph from the link.

“The tackle configuration known as the Alabama (Umbrella/Yumbrella) rig as it is commonly promoted is not legal in Minnesota waters. The rig pictured here is different than using a single lure with multiple treble hooks that is designed to catch just one fish.”

I agree that an Alabama rig is illegal. The rig the OP is asking about is( according to the regulations) a legal rig. Please tell me how it differs from the legal rig shown on page 30.

Assuming the total length does not exceed 9 inches. They both have hooks on each end. They both have spinner blades on each end. They are both connected to the fishing line at the middle.
    Again please explain what makes one legal and one illegal. Obviously the DNR has determined the double ended rig shown, is NOT an Alabama rig and therefore legal.

Attachments:
    1. compare.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The left illustration are plain hooks with beads and spinners ahead of them, similar to crawlers harnesses. Hooks a hook, put whatever the heck you want in front of it without hooks attached it’s still essentially just a hook on a line. Jigs are considered a lure.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The only thing unclear is why this is posted in the ice fishing forum.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

The left illustration are plain hooks with beads and spinners ahead of them, similar to crawlers harnesses. Hooks a hook, put whatever the heck you want in front of it without hooks attached it’s still essentially just a hook on a line. Jigs are considered a lure.

Are you saying a Mepps spinner is not a lure?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Again please explain what makes one legal and one illegal. Obviously the DNR has determined the double ended rig shown, is NOT an Alabama rig and therefore legal.

If you put two minnows on the quick strike rig it’s illegal. It’s two baits with each their own hook.

The op’s rig is two baits with a hook in each. It’s illegal.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.