Is Superior considerd a "Border Water"?

• Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I have wanted to fish Lake Superior for a couple years now and this year I plan to make it happen. I am a WI resident that regularly fishes Lake Michigan for salmon/trout so I have my Great Lakes trout stamp from WI. Can I fish anywhere (US waters) in Superior with my current WI fishing license and WI stamp?

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I believe Superior has it’s own set of regs. They should have the details in the WI DNR regs book.

barc
    SE MN

Depending on where you plan to fish – you may also need a non-res MI or MN fishing license (and stamps) to fish ‘anywhere in US waters’ in Lake Superior.
    barc

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

WI residents and Minnesota residents fish the Mississippi on both sides of the river and can do so with just a WI license, or MN license without the need for both. We simply have to follow that state’s regulations as far as number of lines, and bag limits, etc… Do the Great Lakes follow the same state rules?

A small part of Lake Superior touches Wisconsin, and of course other parts touch MN, MI, and Canada. Just like the Mississippi, it is the same body of water. I understand the need for a Canadian license when I cross into their waters, just like on Rainy Lake. I just don’t know for sure how it works state to state.

This one line in the WI regulations may tell all I need to know. Does MN say something similar?

If you fish in Lake Superior waters that are under the jurisdiction of other
    states or Canada, make sure you have the appropriate fishing license first,
    and obey the fishing regulations issued by those states or provinces.

Trent W
    Chatfield, MN

To fish the MN waters of Superior, you need a MN licence. Here is the text from the reg book:

Anyone fishing on the Minnesota waters of Lake Superior must possess a
    Minnesota angling license and a Minnesota trout and salmon stamp validation except as listed on page 11 .

Later in the regs for border waters this statement is made:

This section covers Minnesota’s border waters with Wisconsin, Iowa, North Dakota, and South Dakota, as well as the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Manitoba. It does not include the waters of Lake Superior, which are not covered under border water rules. Sse pages 18-20 for Lake Superior.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Perfect. That is exactly what I am looking for.

I do regularly purchase a MN license for ice fishing the northern part of the state on inland lakes, but never really understood how it worked for the Great Lakes.

So, after all that I simply need to purchase a Great lakes stamp and I’m ready to go. My biggest concern was for my father. He does not have a MN license, so would need to get both.

Thanks all! Hope this thread can help another angler looking to expand his/her fishing destination list.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Just like Lake MI, where you can not fish Illinois waters without IL permits. That invisible border exist and is patrolled.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I know that in the Duluth/Superior area of the lake the border cuts right out of the Superior side entrance and a Sconny fishing license is required for me to fish the southern shore of the lake on the other side of the border. But yet inside the harbor and all through the river it is “border water” and therefore I only need an MN license.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.