Is AFM a concern?

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I’ve got a 2014 Silverado, 5.3 – 130k on it

I tried the Range device, IMO, it sucks. It did keep it in V8 mode but eventually threw stabilitrak and other weird lights. Played dumb at the dealer to get that cleared, Range sent me an ‘updated’ one. Worked and didn’t have that issue, but make sure you pull it out of the ODBII port if you’re going to park for any amount of time (3 days +). Truck would be stone dead as it pulled enough vampire juice.

At 100k I put a Blackbear tune on it and I wish I would have done it right from the get-go. V8 mode all the time and basic throttle/shift pattern improvements.

My mileage has stayed the exact same as before and the truck drives like I wish it would have.

I was also using well over 1qt of oil every 5,000 miles. Checked my oil yesterday, 5,500 since my last change – one hash below the full mark. Doesn’t use near the amount of oil it did before.

carver
    West Metro

My next vehicle will have AFM. Chevy truck. I plan to purchase a device that will disable it along with start/stop.

This is by far the best investment to keep the engine from burning oil.

I still have mine from my previous truck that I would sell if someone is interested.

with my 2011, at 20k miles I started to burn oil and the dealership said it was within range of a 1/2qt per 1000 miles. At 22k I was buring a QT of oil per 500 miles. Truck went in and had a complete rebuilt with new rings and pistons. Never had an issue with it up until 110k where it started to burn oil again. Purchased the module to turn it off AFM, oil burning slowed. Trained the truck in at 130k.

Now I have a F150 with the 5.0 and the 6 speed.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I tried the Range device, IMO, it sucks. It did keep it in V8 mode but eventually threw stabilitrak and other weird lights. Played dumb at the dealer to get that cleared, Range sent me an ‘updated’ one. Worked and didn’t have that issue, but make sure you pull it out of the ODBII port if you’re going to park for any amount of time (3 days +). Truck would be stone dead as it pulled enough vampire juice.

At 100k I put a Blackbear tune on it and I wish I would have done it right from the get-go. V8 mode all the time and basic throttle/shift pattern improvements.

My mileage has stayed the exact same as before and the truck drives like I wish it would have.

I was also using well over 1qt of oil every 5,000 miles. Checked my oil yesterday, 5,500 since my last change – one hash below the full mark. Doesn’t use near the amount of oil it did before.

Where did you get the blackbear from? I have 2011 burb with 114,000 on it and a little worried about the AFM issues. I was thinking about going this route as I have heard stories about those ranger doing what you said.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I think I’ll stick with my ecoboost.

Reef W

Who buys a v8 and then wants it to run on 4 cylinders.

Exactly, I need all 395HP available to drive back and forth to work at 40mph and am willing to pay for the extra gas to have it roll

I have a 2013 RAM 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi. 102,000 miles and haven’t had any engine problems. Also doesn’t use any oil (that’s noticeable) between 5000 mile oil changes.

Edit, now that I read whole thread: you guys all burn that much oil? shock

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Who buys a v8 and then wants it to run on 4 cylinders.

Exactly, I need all 395HP available to drive back and forth to work at 40mph and am willing to pay for the extra gas to have it roll

Sorry there. I bought my truck to be a truck. Not a Honda civic. Going 40 mph I’m gonna guess you save a un noticable amount of fuel

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Why not buy the 6.2 liter gasser instead of the 5.3 or smaller motor?

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Sorry there. I bought my truck to be a truck. Not a Honda civic. Going 40 mph I’m gonna guess you save a un noticable amount of fuel

These are all great attitudes but the reality is that the EPA mileage standards are dictating this, not the consumers. The problem is to figure out how you can get a truck to do what it was made for and still get 20+ mpg when not towing. It’s only going to get worse and it will cost you regardless. All aluminum body….more $$$ to fix, Turbo’s ….another things to cost $$$$, AFM, just one more thing. Don’t even get me started yet the best I have done on my 6.2L GMC is 27.4 mpg. Pretty impressive.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

These are all great attitudes but the reality is that the EPA mileage standards are dictating this, not the consumers. The problem is to figure out how you can get a truck to do what it was made for and still get 20+ mpg when not towing. It’s only going to get worse and it will cost you regardless. All aluminum body….more $$$ to fix, Turbo’s ….another things to cost $$$$, AFM, just one more thing. Don’t even get me started yet the best I have done on my 6.2L GMC is 27.4 mpg. Pretty impressive.
    [/quote]

Wow that’s incredibly impressive. Does it shut down to 3 cylinder rotflol

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

after 2 pages I think all ive learned is that most people say it sucks and its not reliable. It will be a while until its time for me to upgrade so maybe something will change but for now ive narrowed my list down to a Ford 5.0 or a Tundra. Thanks everyone for the replies

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Do the 5.0s not do this? Or the yota

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Do the 5.0s not do this? Or the yota

Ford doesn’t use a valve shut off feature. They achieve their mpg quota with turbos and 10 speed transmissions. Toyota doesn’t do this either and I dont think they even try to get good gas milage. I’m not an expert so someone can correct me if I’m wrong

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The Ford 5.0 is a very sufficient motor. I really like it. I really like my dodge as well and have 0 complaints. I personally would never go with a toyota but I know they are great trucks as well

Deuces

It’s my belief the suv 6.2l denalis didn’t receive afm until after 2010. My 08 doesn’t have it.

Heck of a motor, but unfortunately comes with all the bells and whistles of Denali package(which as mentioned bells and whistles can break). Pretty rare to find a 6.2 in a non Denali.

I burn a quart between a 5000 mileage oil change on my almost 200k mile Yukon. I do full synthetic with one quart Lucas oil stabilizer.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Toyota doesn’t do this either and I dont think they even try to get good gas milage.

I’ve got a 2014. Love everything about the 5.7 motor except the mileage, but I knew that going into the purchase.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

It’s my belief the suv 6.2l denalis didn’t receive afm until after 2010. My 08 doesn’t have it.

Heck of a motor, but unfortunately comes with all the bells and whistles of Denali package(which as mentioned bells and whistles can break). Pretty rare to find a 6.2 in a non Denali.

I burn a quart between a 5000 mileage oil change on my almost 200k mile Yukon. I do full synthetic with one quart Lucas oil stabilizer.

My 2013 Silverado is a non afm 6.2
    Last year for it. Hopefully that helps it sell easily.

milemark_714

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pete Bauer wrote:</div>

Where did you get the blackbear from? I have 2011 burb with 114,000 on it and a little worried about the AFM issues. I was thinking about going this route as I have heard stories about those ranger doing what you said.

You can go to their website,and get all info there.They have been around for quite a few years,and you can get a generic tune or custom.

It really made a difference on my 2008,unlocked a lot of potential.That was with a 4.8/4L60E.I sent in the PCM,and it was a quick turnaround.

MnPat1

My 2011 Chevrolet with a 5.3 never burned even half a quart in 5000 miles. Traded it in a couple months ago not one problem and 159000 miles.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

My next vehicle will have AFM. Chevy truck. I plan to purchase a device that will disable it along with start/stop.

Susuki is right ..that is the best AFM delete on the market..just plug it in to your OBII port and drive and if you want to use your AFM just unplug it ..

Attachments:
    1. 2018-10-04-12.07.34.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

Susuki is right ..that is the best AFM delete on the market..just plug it in to your OBII port and drive and if you want to use your AFM just unplug it ..

Warranty void

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

You can go to their website,and get all info there.They have been around for quite a few years,and you can get a generic tune or custom.

It really made a difference on my 2008,unlocked a lot of potential.That was with a 4.8/4L60E.I sent in the PCM,and it was a quick turnaround.
    [/quote]

I will take a look, Thanks.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Pete Bauer wrote:</div>

I got the AutoCal from the website. Justin has been great to work with.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

2014 Yukon 105k. No issues. Burns 1 qt of oil in 8000 mile dexos full synthetic oil change. When the stick is down to the add mark it is time to change the oil.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Lifters went out on my 2013 Silverado at 50k miles. Never liked how the engine sounded after it got fixed so ended up trading it in for a new one. I can still notice when the afm kicks in but its not near as bad as the 2013.

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.