Iowaboy1’s new customer (long post)

• mojo

As my post count would indicate, I don’t post here too often, but I’ve been a member since Fish the River. I’ve fished with James and a few others, I’ve made some friends, and I’ve learned a lot. I contribute when I can, however I can, but I will never be able to give back as well as several others here do. The subject of this post would be a great help to our community.

I’ve had many fishing boats/motors over the years, but early this year I was looking at buying my first fish/ski boat that would be more enjoyable for my entire family. I came here looking for info on what to look for in used boats. Unfortunately, one of our most valuable assets here at IDO, who I was hoping to get some info from, had just decided to take a break from posting at IDO. Some other great members here, were kind enough to contact Iowaboy1 and let him know that a member had some questions he might be able to help with. With my permission, my contact info was passed to Iowaboy1, and that very night I received a generous email inviting me to call or email him with any questions I have and he would do his best to help me out. Now I had read many of his posts over the years, and I was aware of his reputation for being a good guy who felt it was his duty to help others whenever he could, so I asked my questions and he answered them immediately. Eventually, I found a boat that I liked, even though it was over 20 years old, I told Sheldon about it, and he again offered to answer any questions that may come up.

Throughout the summer, very intermittently the boat would die for no reason while running at low speed or idling, but mostly ran fairly well, and when it did die, it would usually restart pretty easily before long, I added some Seafoam and new plugs, never a big enough bother to investigate it. Just a few weeks ago, it died and would not restart, even after cranking on and off for 15 minutes. I hauled the boat home and sent an email to Sheldon. I told him I wanted to meet him and his wife anyway, and I was willing to drive over 4 hours to his shop in Iowa so that he could diagnose my issue properly. He made an appointment for me this past Monday and I towed the boat down.

Now you have to understand, I had never met this man or even spoken by phone, just a couple PM’s and emails. I had enjoyed many of his posts at IDO and he hardly knew me at all since I don’t post much. Neither of us owes the other a single thing. I just knew he had a reputation for treating people fairly, and that he was a mechanic who had previously worked for Mercury and had the knowledge and equipment to DIAGNOSE my problem and not just sell me parts until it was fixed or I give up on it. That being said, he went to work testing and inspecting as meticulously as humanly possible, every aspect that could be related to my motor issues. He has testing equipment for almost any motor out there, he can connect a laptop and test virtually all aspects of the motor right in his shop. He went through the whole list of fault codes that have appeared on this motor over 21 years of use.

The initial test results were not good news. My 20 year old Mercury 200 EFI had poor spark, was running hot, and had poor fuel delivery, though compression was still good. There are plenty of shops that would have told me it needed a new ECU, 6 new coils, 6 new injectors, and two new thermostats, plus all the gaskets and labor to replace those parts – easily reaching over $5,000. That’s pretty much a catastrophic repair on a 20 year old motor.

And now we get to why I towed my boat over 4 hours each way. Sheldon went above and beyond to make absolutely certain of what was causing my issues. He tested continuity on each fuel injector and then flow tested every one of my injectors at every RPM range repeatedly, verifying that they are all functioning properly. Those are nearly $400 each, and we now knew that they were good so there must be another reason why the injector on cylinder #4 was not pumping properly.
    He checked the intensity of the spark on each coil repeatedly, and found them to all be rather weak, even when he added a boost pack, all coils were weak and would not produce a good spark across the air gap spark tester. These are nearly $200 each, and though he recommends OEM replacement parts most times, he could provide me with a less expensive alternative that has proven to be a great substitute for OEM – saving me nearly $80 each.
    In his vast experience, he has encountered situations where bad coils can fry a circuit in the ECU, and since we had already determined that the injectors themselves were working perfectly but the coils were failing, a $2500 ECU may be necessary to resolve the issue. The ECU has 3 electrical plugs going into it, and each plug has dozens of very short wires going through them. Sheldon painstakingly tested every one of those circuits to verify it was functioning properly. They all checked out. If it hadn’t, he assured me that he has a place that can repair ECU’s for less than half the price of a new one, and they give excellent results. Another bullet dodged.
    So after all this, what was the cause? Sheldon was now certain there was an electrical issue causing the injector to not cycle properly, he began testing and inspecting every single wire and connection to the injectors. He disassembled the loom of wires that goes to the fuel rail, wiggling each wire and probing every single pin and receptacle on the connectors. Then he saw something, he held the wire loom into the sunlight, and when he rotated it just right, a glint of light reflected off the yellow wire in a spot that was no more than 1/8 inch long on a 22 gauge piece of stranded copper wire. The yellow wire goes to the injector for cylinder #4, the one that was not cycling properly. And with the help of a pair of reading glasses, it was clear that the shine was indeed copper wire exposed through the insulation, exactly underneath where the wire is clamped to the fuel rail. The injector had been shorting out against the clamp occasionally and not providing fuel to that cylinder, and with weak spark on the other cylinders, it was enough to shut it down. We went from a catastrophic repair to a few hours of labor and a diagnostics fee. Thank you Sheldon for the dedicated work, and thank you God for that glint of sunlight.

Now the point of this post was not to tell a long story, but to invite Sheldon (Iowaboy1) back here to IDO. I know he’s busy, and personal time is precious, but we are missing out by not having his presence here. The man is an asset wherever he goes, a resource of knowledge, and a genuine good man who takes time out of his own life to assist anyone who asks, just because he believes it is the right thing to do. Like many others here at IDO, I think he’s earned the right to be a little coarse on occasion, but his sense of humor and the stories he can tell alone are well worth it. The knowledge, ability and desire to help, are second to none. Entertaining and educational.

This is my way of inviting him back and calling on those who hold the power around here to assist in restoring him. Maybe Iowaboy2 is available as a username? toast or could he sign up as “member not found”?
    I for one, would sure like to see him around again.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

What mojo said.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Great story and I’m glad he worked it out.

We have been telling anybody who would listen that even tho he’s from Iowa and likes catching bullheads he is a hell of a wrench and a all around good guy.

Well done Sheldon, well done. applause bow

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

applause Great post Mojo. I also miss Sheldon’s post. I learned a lot from them. Unbelievable mechanic and great guy. Helped me more than once.

I believe one of the biggest reason for taking a break from IDO was his post would not post. It would time out, error, think he was a robot, or something and not post his post. There must be something about the Iowa server that caused this problem all the time for him. I believe it frustrated him to the point of not posting. I agree this is a big loss to the IDO community.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

applause Great post Mojo. I also miss Sheldon’s post. I learned a lot from them. Unbelievable mechanic and great guy.

I believe one of the biggest reason for taking a break from IDO was his post would not post. It would time out, error, think he was a robot, or something and not post his post. There must be something about the Iowa server that caused this problem all the time for him. I believe it frustrated him to the point of not posting. I agree this is a big loss to the IDO community.

that is exactly why!!!!!!! unfortunately!!!! doah

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

He gave me great advice and help a few times. When the technical members start to drop off and the “what color boat should I buy” newbies start it lessens the credibility of the entire site. He was a valuable asset. For a while there there were two or three members that always wanted to argue with every post he ever made, I can understand his discouragement.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

He is one of the greatest men I have ever had the honor of getting to know and meeting finally. As I posted before he openly helped me out in a couple ways this summer and will forever be a close friend. As far as him coming back I don’t think it will happen, imagine him taking time out of his day and writing a long informational post about what he is working on and then it won’t go through and having to retype it all out, all while work is not getting done. We all miss his posts, but if a member needs his help just send me a message and I will reach out and see if he can help.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I understand his frustration. Happens to me. Usually on my phone or tablet and usually when quoting. I often just give up rather than retype.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice. So kind of ironic but as I was reading this long post, after I was done I clicked off and was logged out !! doah WTF !! smirk

Gitchi Gummi

iowaboy is good stuff. I didn’t realize he got the boot from here – that is unfortunate. I miss his posts and contributions.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

iowaboy is good stuff. I didn’t realize he got the boot from here – that is unfortunate. I miss his posts and contributions.

If you read, I think he chose to leave. He wasn’t booted.
    I understand his frustration. I have had long posts disappear on me too. I just move on. Im not wasting my time to retype something just to have it disappear again.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If you read, I think he chose to leave. He wasn’t booted.

This is correct. He chose to leave.

CaptainMusky

There would be ZERO reason to EVER boot Iowaboy! He has been an absolute asset here and would be missed by many.
    Loved reading his posts and I am sure he will likely chime in from time to time I am sure he still probably browses around.
    Anyways, awesome job again Iowaboy! Not many like you in the world anymore.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

When I type long posts I do it on my laptop in a word processing program and safe it. I’ve never had problems posting just words. A few times with pics but that’s rare. 99% of the time I post it’s from my laptop.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

As my post count would indicate, I don’t post here too often, but I’ve been a member since Fish the River. I’ve fished with James and a few others, I’ve made some friends, and I’ve learned a lot. I contribute when I can, however I can, but I will never be able to give back as well as several others here do. The subject of this post would be a great help to our community.

Quality over quantity right there ! bow

I can understand Sheldon’s frustration with the site. He’s a guy who sees a problem and get’s it fixed. From his chair, there should be no reason his problems using IDO can’t be fixed either.

If I’m hearing this correct, he is getting a user not found error at log in?

Edit – Never mind. I can see the issue now. Hang tight.

-J.

Gitchi Gummi

when I type a long post, right before I hit submit reply, I “Select All” on the text and “copy” it, just incase the posting doesn’t work out… Its really quick with the hot key shortcuts.. just click in the text box and do a quick “Control + A” and the a “Control + C” and you are good to go.

CaptainMusky

To add to what Gitchi said, if I have a post that doesnt post, I just click the back button and my post will reshow, but be unsubmitted. I can then click post again and it will post it.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Iowaboy – If you are reading this…..

Looks like you logged into your account 2 weeks ago. So I’m assuming you can get into your account. Looking at your profile history, it looks like you may have (inadvertently) changed your profile name from “Iowaboy” to “Member Not Found”. This may have populated into your profile name when you were clicking around in setting? Who knows?

Anyway, try logging in. Then go to your profile. Change your user name from Member not found back to Iowaboy or any other user name you like. Give this a try!

-J.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Great Guy. He has helped me out more than a few times. Always willing to do so. Guys like him are hard to find. I think / Hope he will be back on here at some point. Sometimes a person just need a break.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

when I type a long post, right before I hit submit reply, I “Select All” on the text and “copy” it, just incase the posting doesn’t work out… Its really quick with the hot key shortcuts.. just click in the text box and do a quick “Control + A” and the a “Control + C” and you are good to go.

I do the same thing. I have not had issues lately. Just force of habit. I also stopped responding from my phone.

mojo

I am hopeful he will attempt to get back on here. But his reputation and skills have put him in exceptional demand. In the short time I was at his shop, multiple people called and stopped in and sent messages, and if it weren’t for his wife Sparklesonthewater, he would have been attempting to handle all that while working on my issues (on the boat – my personal issues even he can’t begin to fix). Customers come long distances and he goes long distances to take care of them – a farmer called with a tractor that had died in the field that he was going to go tackle after repairing my motor, after mounting a set of tractor tires that another farmer dropped off, and after looking at the car of a lady standing in the shop who’s car was dead.
    I don’t know the words to tell you how busy this man is. But I think Sheldon is aware many here really want to see him back, and I KNOW he would be an invaluable asset. I am sure his internet is not the best in smalltown Iowa, but I’m in the Twin City metro with great internet, and I see plenty of issues with posting here like many others have reported, so that issue may continue for him if he ever even has time to log in.
    When you have time Sheldon, you have many people here who would love to hear your stories, learn from your skills, take lessons on how to be a good man, and laugh at your humor.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

When you have time Sheldon, you have many people here who would love to hear your stories, learn from your skills, take lessons on how to be a good man, and laugh at your humor.

toast

dirtywater

That guy’s knowledge is only surpassed by his generosity.

my understanding is that he simply lost patience with his repeated technical issues on this site. He voiced his concerns repeatedly, and sometimes a little loudly with an intensity that probably doesn’t translate very well in written communication.

The “member not found” wasn’t a mistake, seemed like his way of saying sayonara.

MX1825

Sheldon is “Good People” and a GREAT mechanic in several several areas. I miss his posts.

isu22andy

Where’s he located for future reference ?

CaptainMusky

That guy’s knowledge is only surpassed by his generosity.

This is probably the best way to put it.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

the man, the myth, the LEGEND…..

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Hes a great guy and i hope to meet him someday. Ive had the pleasure to talk with him quite a bit over the years. Sheldon if youre listening we miss ya bud. Hope all is well

mrpike1973

Sheldon helped me believe in my Mercury again. A true man is one who gives of himself. If you read this Sheldon Bless You and your Family!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.