Iowa Phst Opener

• captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

We went down to north central Iowa for the opener. We got to are favorite public area at 7:05 only to see three trucks who said they were there by 6:45. Ugh. Plan B a large area we entered from the west side. 45 minutes later three groups converge in the middle. Ugh. The wind was relentless and the ground dry. We found birds downwind of woody cover. We hunted all day to get 3 birds for 2 guys. Should of had 2 more. Worst opener for us ever. Hoping a day with less wind and some moisture will be better.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

We tried getting to some public spots at 6:45 (opens at 8:00) and they were all taken. It was a mob scene around there. Luckily we had a huge private spot in reserve and got our 6 man limit. Sun was run and gun with some birds in public and a few more in private. No limit on Sun. Got some good shooting and some memorable dog work. Trying a different area down there next weekend.

Gerty

At our spot by 6:00 am and already two other vehicles. Plenty of room for all three parties so no worries. Then between 6:00 and 8:00 it became a complete $hit show. Never seen so many people. Still had our little area and thought we would do fine as we could only hunt for 2 hours anyway. Well, after we got about 100 yards from our truck 12 guys proceeded to come in right behind us and follow us down the field. When we got to the end to turn around we had no where to go and we were staring down 12 barrels. Complete a-holes. Don’t know how you can consider yourself a sportsman when you do something like that. Very disappointing and more people than I have seen on a IA opener in the 30 years I’ve been doing it.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Wasn’t it kinda windy out there? It was blowing like a hurricane here most of the weekend.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sun was the worst wind because it was colder. Hard to pee outside too.

*Warning* dog story-My buddy and I stopped at a public spot that was more geared towards deer or squirrel hunters because it was mostly woods. We are very familiar with the area and planned on hunting the nearby ditches. The small parking lot was next to a river and there was a guy there fishing. He was just finishing up and we spoke to him for a minute and were surprised at the types of fish he caught there. He ended up saying there were a lot of birds around there and some roosters right over there on the river bend. 30 yds away. We were skeptical and went for the ditches first where we flushed about 8 birds, several of which were young roosters but the lighting was bad and I just didnt want to squeeze the trigger. We walked back to the parking lot and over to to the tall grass next to the river. It was full of really bad burs so I was trying to lead my dog around them. Just about the time I thought the fisherman was full of it 3 roosters explode out of the grass heading for the water. I dumped the first one in the river and the second on a sandbar. I didnt shoot at the third. The sandbar bird was dead and fully visible so no worries there but as I ran up to the river so I could see over the bank there’s my girl swimming after a pheasant in deep water. Right when she was about to grab it it dove disappearing under water. I’ve seen numerous animals do this to avoid death so it wasn’t surprising but I sure didn’t want to lose the bird. As my bewildered dog is treading water I see it pop up lifeless. Yes it drowned itself. I signal my dog so she sees it and retrieves to hand. One of her best retrieves. My buddy got the tail end of it on video. I carried that bird all the way back to the truck so I wouldn’t get by hunting jacket soaked!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

Went back down Wednesday. Much less pressure and little wind. On purpose, we headed to the middle away from the edges that everyone does. One off the field with a two man limit. Fabulous dog work that helped our shooting confidence big time. We headed up to MN and got two more birds on the way home. We ended by noon because it was already in the mid 70s. Too hot for the dogs despite carrying alot of water. Crops are 80-90 percent out. I expect the birds to be shot down quickly leaving few for late season hunting. All the small ponds are dry. Cattails loom tall.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.