Iowa Ice Eyes

• Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Got out on a local lake last night to check ice conditions. 7” of clear hard ice. Walleyes cooperated. Hair jigs and minnows were the ticket, tried jiggin raps and spoons but they wanted the subtle presentation. Biggest was 18”. Also, recently picked up a pair of Kahtoola Micro Spikes, and if anyone wants to know my opinion on the best ice cleats, those have to be it. I was amazed at the traction they provide. Happy ice fishing everyone!

Attachments:
    1. E7F41270-E576-4026-8B85-4EBC974A08A8-scaled.jpeg

TH

Thanks for posting. I walleye fish most nights in the winter. They have gotten more finicky. I was overlooking hair jigs. I’m gonna try them tonight.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

TH, best of luck to you. The first one hit a dead stick, then I had some looky-loos on my jigging rap, but no takers. I then tied on a hand tied 1/8th oz hair jig, tipped it with a minnow and dropped it down. Set about a foot off the bottom and kinda dead sticked it. Red marks would come up to it, but go back down. So I started to lift the jig slowly when they’d come up to it and that triggered the bite.

Cyclone41

Northern Iowa I’m guessing with 7” ice ???

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.