Ion or Drill??

• Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Hey guys need some help. I like to run and gun, but also have a hard side for enjoying the slower days. I hate drilling holes in my big shack with my gas auger, to much mess and the fumes are killer. I won an 8″ ion with reverse at a fishing tournament. I am just wondering if any one has experience with the Ion and the new Kdrill with a cordless drill. Cant decide if I want to give the Ion a try or sell it and buy a Kdrill and Milwaukee Fuel. I would probably get the 8″ Kdrill so I could have decent size holes in my big shack. I use a strikemaster right now, so reopening holes when it is really cold is just about impossible, that is why I am looking at the Ion or the KDrill. I will keep my strikemaster, so battery life really isnt an issue. I only need it to drill 7 holes and maybe a few tip up holes. Unless one of them is so unbelievable that it makes sense to get rid of the gas auger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I can only say that I have been very happy with my ion. I bought it last fall and have used it almost exclusively this winter. No problems to report.

wicathunter11
    Ferryville WI

Love my Ion. I’d stick with that especially since you already have it

rippinlips0414
    Aberdeen, SD

Either one is a good choice IMO. I just purchased the ION this year and I’m very impressed with it so far. We just made the trip back from Devils and it definitely stood up to my standards when it came to runnin and gunnin. Very light at 22 lbs and has plenty of torque. No problems at all when it came to redrilling old holes too. When they say that you can only get around 40 holes at 24′ inches of ice. Well that is wrong I could get right around 55-60 holes before she would start to even show any low battery life or leg this past weekend with 26 inches of ice. Not a real big fan of the reverse but it is pretty handy when it comes to cleaning your holes in a permy.
    Best of luck!!!

MNSmallieGuy
    Minnesota

In your situation I think the K Drill and Milwaukee is ideal. The compact size will allow you to keep it out of the way in your house. No problem drilling the holes you are looking to do and at the end of the day you have the best drill on the market to use around the house for the other 10 months of the year.
    No Brainer.

I prefer the drill. Lighter and faster and spare drills are super cheap; I bought a bare drill two weeks ago for $82.

Had an Ion, it was nice too. If I really felt I needed an 8″ hole, I might have kept the ion. Folks use their drill for 8″ holes, but you’ll likely want to use the clam plate. The drills will eventually break using the side handle over time.

plumbum75

I can’t see drilling 8″ holes with the cordless. It can definitely be done but you will smoke the drill after a while. I’d keep the ion if you have a hard house anyway. Just watch opening old holes with the ion ….you will snap a blade…happened to me twice.

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

I have had my ION for 2 years now and I cannot think of why I ever had a gas auger. I have drilled literally hundreds of holes with this and it does not even act like it is anything but new. You keep the battery charged correctly and you can get 40+ holes out it every time. I have a drill with a 7″ lazer auger on it and once the ice gets over 6″ thick put it away and go with the ION. I only got this because Strike Master lithium was burning up and I do not regret my decision at all.

I love my Ion but a good drill(not an $82 one) and a kdrill would be a great choice also. Those drills everyone is talking about are all well over $200 and a kdrill is $250, that makes it a tough choice.

The $82 dollar drill was a brand new 2704-20 Milwaukee Fuel, it’s a pretty good drill IMO.

Bass Pundit
    8m S. of Platte/Sullivan Lakes, Minnesocold

I like the reverse on the ION and I fish out of a portable. Since you are in a permanent I think it’s a no brainer to keep the ION.

Brian Anderson
    Eden Prairie, MN

ok guess im gonna be the devils advocate here, i dont personally own an ION but my buddy does and i used it a little bit last year up on Mille Lacs when we went. You say you like to run and gun, well make sure you have an additional battery handy that stays warm (the lithium ion batteries dont like the cold) when my buddy told me i had to keep his ION warm because the battery doesnt like the cold i couldnt believe it. With the drill option you can buy drills that are a different kind of battery (cant remember the type) that can stand the cold better. My dad has the clam conversion kit with a drill he got at farm and fleet for a decent price and a few extra batteries he is able to keep in a pocket with a hand warmer to keep them warm. Also about the reverse on the ION to move slush out of the hole, I dunno i guess i wasnt too impressed. But again a free auger is a free auger. I have another buddy that ran the conversion kit with an 8″ auger and burned the drill out where as my dad is running a 6″ auger and he loves it.

-b-

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Brian, I have a 2.5 HP LazerMag for running and gunning. I know everyone says they are heavy and they need gas but drills need batteries so you are still carrying around extra things to get holes drilled in the ice. I will use my gas auger for days when I am drilling hundreds of holes. I am pretty much just wondering if an Ion or Kdrill would be better for the wheel house and a few tip up holes.

Michael

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Ok, thanks guys, I really appreciate all the comments. I think I am going to keep the Ion. Wont get to test it much this year as the ice is going to be gone soon, but hopefully it works well next year!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Your “Run and Gun” comment is the main sticking point for me. I just bought an ION this year and I’m very happy with it but it is slow! And that’s exactly what I wanted for my wheel house. 8″ hole, quiet, reliable and no exhaust.

I also like to run and gun, but there is no way I could keep my sanity and run and gun with an ION or Strikemaster electric in more than 12″ of ice. It is way too slow!

IMO you will still need a gas or Milwaukee Fuel for running and gunning. For comparison, I think I can drill 6 holes with my ION in the amount of time I can drill 20 holes with my Solo. Every auger has it’s place.

castle-rock-clown

Especially for reopening old holes, can a K-Drill be mounted on the ION powerhead?

Michael Nebelsick
    SE South Dakota

Joe, I agree, that is why I am keeping my solo. I truly dont mind drilling holes with it. Keep sharp blades on them and watch out. Just wanted something for in the shack that doesnt stink the place up and throw slush and chips everywhere.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Your “Run and Gun” comment is the main sticking point for me. I just bought an ION this year and I’m very happy with it but it is slow! And that’s exactly what I wanted for my wheel house. 8″ hole, quiet, reliable and no exhaust.

I also like to run and gun, but there is no way I could keep my sanity and run and gun with an ION or Strikemaster electric in more than 12″ of ice. It is way too slow!

IMO you will still need a gas or Milwaukee Fuel for running and gunning. For comparison, I think I can drill 6 holes with my ION in the amount of time I can drill 20 holes with my Solo. Every auger has it’s place.

Exactly. Right now there is no one auger that can do it all the best. I still say if someone is going to have one they are still better off getting gas. But if you can have two, electrics sure are good to have.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I’ve been looking at getting an ION for a couple years now. This fall I want to pull the trigger. Now my question to you fellas with an ION is have any of you ever used the 10″ Auger bit? Some say you lose a lot of power? What is a LOT? I’ll primarily be using it to drill 4-7 holes in the hard house every weekend. I really like the 10″ holes in the hard house to make it that much easier to get the fish up the hole.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Looks like there will be some big sales at the game fair on augers. Not sure about ION but saw a few adds almost half off in price.

iceman53

I have the k drill and if you are going to use inside a hard sided house it spins to fast and throws ice all over .I don’t have a ion but have seen them in action and think it would be better in side, and for running and gunning it will take a little longer to drill holes ,the K drill is what I use when I run and gun and a 4 stroke 10″ strikemaster inside my wheel house

prospector
    Wyoming

Why not a 10″ Nils and a Milwaukee
    Hole Hawg?

Bill Boyd
    Warroad, MN

2 years with an ION and not looking back. Use it with my portable or crank down house. Never tried a drill so can’t say, But the Ion is nice

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, MN

The ion is painfully slow in my opinion… But if you only drill 10 holes a day then I guess speed doesn’t matter. The Clam drill plate paired with a *BRUSHLESS* hammer drill is a dream come true! I’ve taken it with me to every corner of the midwest and it hasn’t failed me yet. Super fast, sharp, extremely light, and the batteries have never drained on me from the cold.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.